closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why buy more watches when they look the same as those you already have?

Blog Entries

Why buy more watches when they look the same as those you already have?

How many more of us hear this comment, or something similar, when you have new arrivals?
    I suppose, being objective, I can sort of see the good lady’s point :-)
    Last edited by Crouchy; 8th July 2022 at 14:24.

Yeah, well they all have those sticks that point at the markers.

I get that too. She's not interested in hearing the differences though

The Tag is a nice looking thing

Master
    Nope! It's any watch! I've told her that they are like tools and that you need different ones for different jobs. That conversation usually ends up with "the stare"! You all know the one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Nope! It's any watch! I've told her that they are like tools and that you need different ones for different jobs. That conversation usually ends up with "the stare"! You all know the one!
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I wish I had an answer to that question - I ask it of myself often enough, never mind the Mrs...

"Because The Voices will it" is as inadequate as it is true...

...etc...

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    How many pairs of shoes, trainers, bags, purses, dresses, skirts or tops does she have? Unless she wears just a boiler suit 24/7 then it's fair cop guv.

To be fair, I struggle with this internally. I like versatile all rounders. Basically, easy wearing, black-dialled dressier sports watches.

I already have a black nomos club, a black Aqua Terra. A black Tag Carrera, among others. I’m currently thinking about a black field / pilots watch. Truth is, they all fulfil the same role, makes me think I ought to sell one if getting another, but I like the ones I have too much. If the collection was more diverse it’d be easier to justify keeping them all (to me).

I appreciate that wasn’t the point being made here. I just needed to vent my neuroses.

Blog Entries
    I have five, I think it is, 8F56-0020s. I tell myself it's because I'm stockpiling the lovely 8F56 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have five, I think it is, 8F56-0020s. I tell myself it's because I'm stockpiling the lovely 8F56 movement.
    You know that’s just weird, don’t you Mark

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    How many more of us hear this comment, or something similar, when you have new arrivals?
    I actually agree with your missus, Crouchy. I see some peoples SOTC and can’t tell some of the watches apart! I’m a big fan of variety, so my watches cover different styles as well as a wide range of colours. Much more fun imo.

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I actually agree with your missus, Crouchy. I see some peoples SOTC and can’t tell some of the watches apart! I’m a big fan of variety, so my watches cover different styles as well as a wide range of colours. Much more fun imo.

Simon
    Simon,
    In some ways I agree, but often watches that don’t look similar to my eye do to hers. I guess that’s just this hobby though.
    I need to do a SOTC as I haven’t done one for an age and my collection is a little ‘out of control’.
    Maybe this afternoon, as the weather is good.
    J

Double figures in Rolex, but they're all soooo very different.

I'm trying to branch out to have a collection at home but it's been trial and error so far. Going to try build up the Seikos again.

Bank cubicals don't make for great pics but these are different enough for me. Beyond boring going to swap one out every few weeks though so will continue making mistakes while trying to branch out for a bit and see if I can home collection too.

Craftsman
    I’m awful at this - my back catalogue is largely variations on a theme -

Omega Seamaster, three handed and chronograph
    Rolex Submariner (three variants)
    Omega Planet Ocean (two variants)

All divers of a similar size and similar palate…. I have boring taste.

Why buy more watches when they look the same as those you already have?
    When it comes to women many have a type they like. And of course there are variations of the type.

Nothing wrong having a collection of watches that all look the same.

That said I only wear white shirts for work because it’s one less thing to think about…

I have a fixation with watches that influenced, complied with or pay homage to Defstan 66-4. So about 25% of my collection follows this theme.
    I have dabbled with different colour dials, different materials, fancy straps but a stainless steel watch with black dial and grey NATO is perfection for me.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    When it comes to women many have a type they like. And of course there are variations of the type.
    If I had 10 wives I wouldn't cry if they all looked like Penelope Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If I had 10 wives I wouldn't cry if they all looked like Penelope Cruz
    I am talking about serial monogamy dear boy.

Wife says it to me - but asking her how many black handbags she has normally suffices

I think I've caught myself there.

Key word in this topic is "collection" - whether we acknowledge it or not, whether it's structured or not - we almost all have one.

Unless you have infinite money and infinite space, a collection has to have a theme that limits its scale, and that theme has to be something that works for you, something you enjoy - aesthetic, historic, technical, a mix - whatever, it's all legit.

There's doesn't have to be any logic at-all. Even just one wristwatch is a bizarre, anachronistic indulgence nowadays, more than one wristwatch - to the average person in 2022 - is barmy, while the sort of numbers some of us have? Wraparound jacket in a Rubber Room...!

You either have this collecting trait in your personality or you don't, and if you don't, you'll never understand it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Key word in this topic is "collection" - whether we acknowledge it or not, whether it's structured or not - we almost all have one.

Unless you have infinite money and infinite space, a collection has to have a theme that limits its scale, and that theme has to be something that works for you, something you enjoy - aesthetic, historic, technical, a mix - whatever, it's all legit.

There's doesn't have to be any logic at-all. Even just one wristwatch is a bizarre, anachronistic indulgence nowadays, more than one wristwatch - to the average person in 2022 - is barmy, while the sort of numbers some of us have? Wraparound jacket in a Rubber Room...!

You either have this collecting trait in your personality or you don't, and if you don't, you'll never understand it.
    Interesting points. I’d say that I don’t have a collection though, precisely because of the lack of any theme (or at least not a theme that I can discern).

That photo from Sinnlover; now that’s a proper collection. I think I just have a bunch of quite random watches. I’ve never thought that I am a “collector”. I may be in denial of course.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post

Nothing wrong having a collection of watches that all look the same.

That said I only wear white shirts for work because it’s one less thing to think about…

I have a fixation with watches that influenced, complied with or pay homage to Defstan 66-4. So about 25% of my collection follows this theme.
    I have dabbled with different colour dials, different materials, fancy straps but a stainless steel watch with black dial and grey NATO is perfection for me.
    Some absolute corkers in there mate, that would be an interesting chat with the QM……..

Craftsman
    There is a massive positive side, my wife thinks all mine are the same watch as they all look the same. A definite advantage of being obsessed with dive watches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    You know that’s just weird, don’t you Mark
    Emergency backups.

I console myself with the view that I know of people on here who have much larger collections of near-identical black dial divers!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Emergency backups.

I console myself with the view that I know of people on here who have much larger collections of near-identical black dial divers!
    Can’t argue with that

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    These are all so different I don't understand what you're going on about

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk