closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartier Appreciation Thread

Cartier Appreciation Thread

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of Cartier posts on here, so I thought I’d start a dedicated Thread and see what happens.
    Of course photos and comments would be very much appreciated.

Confession, I do not or have never owned a Cartier timepiece.
    I always thought, that they were too dressy, Roman numerals and some crazy shapes.

However, over the past few months, the brand has triggered my interest and very recently one particular model - Santos De Cartier.

I especially like the ADLC WSSA0037 and to some degree the full ADLC WSSA0039.

To me it seems a great all round timepiece and can be worn on most occasions.

I would greatly appreciate your input.

Craftsman
    I used to own Cartier Santos 100 XL (now gone) and really liked it. IMO it was rather versatile watch, but funds don´t allow too many watches
    in same time, so sometimes one should go to get another.

I really like Santos de Cartier and almost bought one (larger size), but went for a Bvlgari Octo Solotempo in this time. I wouldn´t mind to try Cartier
    Ballon Bleu as well.

One picture of Santos 100 XL

Master
    I've had 2, a Pasha GMT and a Vendome. I have a weakness for Cartier and would love another. Pure class imo.

Master
    I think some of their range is fantastic. I need to go in and take a look at the medium sized santos on bracelet and blue dial, from the pictures it looks like it’s really well finished, bracelet is easy to adjust and change with their quick change mechanism.

Wearing my ADLC Santos right now. The graphite colour dial contrasts brilliantly with my sunburnt skin.

IMHO hard to find a better overall package at this price point with superb versatility given the bracelet and strap that come as standard, quick change strap functionality and quick adjust bracelet requiring no tools

Master
    I used to own a roadster chrono, silver dial, which was a great watch, but I was never happy with the QR bracelet system.
    My dressy watch is a two colour tank francaise chronograph, hardly ever wear it, but it is quite classy and understated imho, the brushed finish on the gold sections making it more subtle.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

I had a Santos auto for a few years, sold it to fund something else and rather miss it now. I don't know how things are these days, but Cartier service was exemplary and any work I had done was extremely reasonable - twice the final bill was less than they had quoted, which must be rare.

Master
    I’ve never owned a Cartier but did find myself on their website earlier this week browsing the Santos section. Some lovely looking watches on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    I used to own Cartier Santos 100 XL (now gone) and really liked it. IMO it was rather versatile watch, but funds don´t allow too many watches

I really like Santos de Cartier and almost bought one (larger size), but went for a Bvlgari Octo Solotempo in this time. I wouldn´t mind to try Cartier
    Ballon Bleu as well.

I've always been drawn to the Santos 100, although oddly the smaller size at 33mm (don't think they make a 36mm) and the xl too big for me.

Think it straddles the dress/sport watch nicely.

Prices seem high for this now discontinued model.

I've heard concerns on the movement (presume ETA and OK).

Does anyone own the 33mm and concerns on the thickness or movement?

Master
    I have never owned a Cartier but I really do like the image and especially the size. They just have the right dimensions and thickness. It's very much a non attention attracting watch.

Thanks for all your contributions so far.
    Just spoken with my AD and have arranged to go and try some on week after next :-)
    And if its as nice as the photos, then I may have to sell my DJ, under the policy of one in and one out.
    Last edited by Topcat30093; 13th July 2022 at 19:51. Reason: Added a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have never owned a Cartier but I really do like the image and especially the size. They just have the right dimensions and thickness. It's very much a non attention attracting watch.
    Are you joking or trying to convince yourself? Most models are instantly recognisable, whether because of the shape, the Roman numerals (and the IIII) or the blue cabochon. A WIS not too familiar with the brand may struggle between the tank française, the must and the LC, but Tanks, Santos, Ballon, Pasha or Panthère all scream Cartier, real or fake.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think Cartier are having something of a moment right now, which is great as I love their watches.

I used to have a Santos XL a while back which I sadly sold and regretted as it was a very understated and versatile watch.

I recently picked up a Calibre de Cartier Diver as I think these are fantastic value right now.

I went for the two tone blue version because I love the blue bezel and dial and the contrast with the gold. Not only do they look good (IMHO) but they are proper divers watches with 300m water resistance only 11mm thick! Great value right now for a discontinued watch.

I would love to get my hands on the new 2022 Santos Dumont in rose gold but I guess I have zero chance as they are only making 200

Just bought a S/s pasha from 1990, understated dial, leather strap, cool thing.

The Basculante was an interesting one!

I do like them. Luckily for me. I wear the watches I like! (and can read..).

I did have a Cartier Santos XL. I don't like Roman numerals, on watches as a rule...but I do like them on Cartiers.

I flipped the Santos, for the next "must have" watch. I recently bought a Cartier Ronde Solo XL . Really nice looking watch. Smart and casual .It came on a bracelet, which is great, nice and comfy. I have tried it on a cheap plain dark blue leather strap, and yesterday I got a cheap lizard type watch...not sure what it looks best on?! bracelet probably?!

Master
    IMG_4861.jpg

Another vote for the Santos 100 XL from me, here’s mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I like them generally. Big fan of the tank and that Calibre Diver posted above is just stunning; surely the most underrated diver ever.

I bought my Pasha in 1997 and still wear it regularly:

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    That's a stunning watch!

Have found myself eyeing off the tanks a lot lately and had not considered a Santos till seeing that one. That model is sadly not a realistic option though now the cheaper cousins are looking pretty good. Really must resist heading to the Cartier boutique in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    Ballon Bleu as well.
    Love the combination of the watch and strap.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Wearing my ADLC Santos right now. The graphite colour dial contrasts brilliantly with my sunburnt skin.

IMHO hard to find a better overall package at this price point with superb versatility given the bracelet and strap that come as standard, quick change strap functionality and quick adjust bracelet requiring no tools
    Looking forward to trying this one on.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That is quite a complex case!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I saw this the other month. Looked lovely and really stood out from the rest in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    I would love to get my hands on the new 2022 Santos Dumont in rose gold but I guess I have zero chance as they are only making 200

I’ve also been looking at the rose gold Santos Dumont of late but the regular production model:

https://www.cartier.com/en-gb/santos...nt_Men-Watches

I need to try one on to see how the large fits me.

I've recently bought a Santos 100 XL.
    Great watch, quite big, but because of curved shape wears great.PXL_20220707_121536839.MP-01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    I’ve also been looking at the rose gold Santos Dumont of late but the regular production model:

Yes the “regular production” Dumont is also lovely and probably the one that I will actually be able to buy, like you I need to go and see how it actually fits.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cartier gets a hard time for carrying a diverse range, including watches. Yet it had the most consistent branding, identity across the collections. Their sunglasses are made in france (not by 3rd party megafactories in italy like LV, chanel etc). Their jewellery is iconic. Their watches are beautifully made and instantly recogniseable. Their bags are stunning quality and construction. When one brand does everything so well, what's not to love? My favourite was my santos 100xl chronograph. It just looked amazing and had a wrist presence. I am glad their new Santos has so much social media love, they deserve it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post

Not rose gold one but still a beauty!

Master
    I have this one. I bought it for my mum in the late '90s, but I have it again now. A bit on the small side certainly, but these were conceived as unisex watches, and I enjoy wearing it. The blued hands catch the light very nicely, as do the gold numerals, though I haven't captured that here.

I have these 2, a 1st gen Roadster and a Must 21 Chronoscaph

I gifted the wife with this Tank Francaise for her 40th this year

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolutely! That is one gorgeous piece especially the larger size with hand wound movement. Your pics are amazing. Should never have let it go!
    Last edited by daveyw; 11th July 2022 at 22:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I like them generally. Big fan of the tank and that Calibre Diver posted above is just stunning; surely the most underrated diver ever.

I bought my Pasha in 1997 and still wear it regularly:

Mine us very similar to yours, lovely blued hands. I can’t get the clasp to sit right though. Strap must be wrong. Could I see the way yours sits please?

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    I have these 2, a 1st gen Roadster and a Must 21 Chronoscaph

That is lovely. I've often thought about getting a cartier and I keep going back to this style

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Ima big fan of the Santos and if I can decide between the medium and large that might be my next big purchase.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Mine us very similar to yours, lovely blued hands. I can’t get the clasp to sit right though. Strap must be wrong. Could I see the way yours sits please?
    Watch was originally on bracelet but I put the strap on a couple of years ago. Pasha strap and Cartier style deployment for next to nothing from Cousins. It’s the type of clasp where the pointy end of the strap folds back on itself. (See Cousins photo attached)

There is no way to alter the position of the clasp without also changing the size. I was lucky though because the clasp sits nicely opposite the watch head.

I’ll grab an under-wrist photo next time I am at the vault. All I can suggest to alter the fit is to swap the 6 and 12 ends around. Failing that, a simple tang buckle and a hole punch.

Craftsman
    Always been a fan of the santos 100 XL, shame they stopped making it
    Do they still make a santos that’s a similar size?

Master
    Finishing is lovely but the blue one has left me a bit underwhelmed, it’s very muted. From their images online it seems a lot brighter. Also I wish they made these in the medium sized model

My first Cartier timepiece

Love the slimness and the way it hugs my wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve really begun to appreciate the santos. I tried on the Santos Dumont last night and it was only once they removed the plastic guard I could appreciate the dial and finish. Turns out the L was too small and I would definitely need the XL, I’m currently pondering the rose gold one.

Master

I love the Santos and Cartier in general

Master
    That look lovely Tony, congrats :-)

lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

Master

In spite of really liking the Santos I'd never have thought a dark model would work - but that's very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post

I love the Santos and Cartier in general

Well, I do have you to blame for drawing my attention to the ADLC :-)

Have to say, that after trying on the full ADLC and then picking up the one that you have, I was really surprised in the weight difference.
    The bracelet was way heavier than I thought it would be and very well constructed.
    I had to ask the Boss which one she liked, as though I was leaning - much to my surprise, towards the ADLC, I wanted her to help.
    She thought that the part ADLC looked more chunkier and looked different on my wrist, even though it is the same measurements.
    The ADLC, just hugged my wrist so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    That look lovely Tony, congrats :-)
    Thanks Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    In spite of really liking the Santos I'd never have thought a dark model would work - but that's very nice indeed.
    Thank you.
    I was instantly taken with it, when I first saw Ryans and Freds photos.
    And the one I now have is so different from anything else I have worn before.

Thanks Yodi
    I hope that you both had a fantastic time away :-)

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    I do like them. Luckily for me. I wear the watches I like! (and can read..).

I did have a Cartier Santos XL. I don't like Roman numerals, on watches as a rule...but I do like them on Cartiers.

I flipped the Santos, for the next "must have" watch. I recently bought a Cartier Ronde Solo XL . Really nice looking watch. Smart and casual .It came on a bracelet, which is great, nice and comfy. I have tried it on a cheap plain dark blue leather strap, and yesterday I got a cheap lizard type watch...not sure what it looks best on?! bracelet probably?!

That does look great. Classic and modern at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubnut View Post
    FTFY
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I always wanted a Cartier Tank so after months of waiting there it is above. Solarbeat.

Craftsman

Cartier divers

Love the divers watch. Anyone know of any available... although as it's discontinued, I suspect, they're like hen's teeth..

Master
    That is very cool!

Tried on the steel version last Friday for the first time and liked it very much.

The ADLC though I think looks brilliant.

Master
    Roadster XL 2722, arrived late last week and still liking it a lot!

Does any member own a Santos WSSA0047?
    Would be interested to read your thoughts