closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What insurance do I need driving a hire car abroad?

Master

What insurance do I need driving a hire car abroad?

I have a rental car arranged via Avis for a trip to Italy and I am unsure if I need anything else in terms of insurance etc.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Craftsman
    Depends on what your hire conditions are. For example, with Sixt in Germany the default is that only third party insurance is included - I am responsible for any damage to the car, up to the full value. A basic loss damage waiver up to 1000 Euros (which is normally included as standard for UK hires) has to be bought extra. I then take out further insurance via a company such as Insurance4carhire to cover me for the excess.

I also use insurance4hirecar via an annual policy. Have used it for many years. Had to make a claim years ago and it was sorted simply.

Can’t fault Insurance4carhire, always been competitive and they get great reviews .
    This year I booked through Qeeq for the car hire in Tuscany and their insurance was cheaper than Insurance4carhire for a very similar thorough policy.
    Please note that the car hire companies in Italy can be very hit and miss so more insurance is highly recommended.

For most European hire car companies, the answer is "you don't *need*" anything else. They insure you in their car, BUT the excess could be €2500 and so they try and sell you (at the desk) the extra cover.
    Usually at about €20 a day or more.

So, as advised above, buy yourself an annual policy in the UK for about £40, which covers all the excess, and relax.

I had cause to use such a policy last year, and it paid me back the €340 I had to pay Hertz (alloy wheel damage) two days after I got home. Brilliant!

Master
    Thanks all. Just to confirm: if I buy a policy through the above recommend firm, I don’t need to pay for anything else when I pick the car up?

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Thanks all. Just to confirm: if I buy a policy through the above recommend firm, I don’t need to pay for anything else when I pick the car up?
    No, they’ll offer it but just let them know you are already covered. It does mean that they will take the excess in case of an accident and you then have to claim it back .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I also use insurance4hirecar via an annual policy. Have used it for many years. Had to make a claim years ago and it was sorted simply.
    Another vote for them. A very good solution.

And check every form carefully before signing anything.

Car hire firms are notorious for dodgy practices and you could find yourself signing the insurance form under pressure to get out of there, and the first thing you'll know about it is the £500 payment on the credit card a week after you get back.

And take loads of pictures of the car from all angles. Note any marks, scratches, dents, scrapes, no matter how small.

And check the policy for fuel on return. Is it full tank or same as when you left? Amazing how many extra £££s they can screw you for if the tank is full or half full.

Other than that, relax and enjoy the Italian style of driving

Master
    Blog Entries
    May not apply in this case, but some of the budget companies have some very specific exclusions to watch out for.

Interrent for example exclude recovery service AND a replacement car unless you take their own insurance. In the event of a disaster you'd have to arrange your own recovery back to them AND have to hire a new car at the prevailing rate.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 7th July 2022 at 08:28.

Zurich https://www.zurich.co.uk/insurance/c...cess-insurance currently the cheapest.

And they are and actual insurance company rather than a broker or small-fish. Although I haven't had trouble with small-fish in the past.

Hire car companies make a significant amount of money on their own insurance policies and hate you taking out third party policies instead. I've found Europcar to be aggressive and verging on scamming when you arrive to pick up a car without taking their insurance. Despite having my own insurance, I was told repeatedly at the desk that I had to take out their full policy and they would not "release the car without it". Took me a couple of minutes arguing to get them to back down and give me the hire car. I get the feeling many people just buckle and think they have to pay.

You will need European break down cover. I assume Avis know you're taking the car abroad and included in the cost, if not you must inform them as you're not allowed to take it out of the country without their permission.
    There is an additional cost of course (there always is)
    I never worked for Avis but did 10 years at Hertz. Pretty much all hire car firms have the same rules, just different charges.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    You will need European break down cover. I assume Avis know you're taking the car abroad and included in the cost, if not you must inform them as you're not allowed to take it out of the country without their permission.
    There is an additional cost of course (there always is)
    I never worked for Avis but did 10 years at Hertz. Pretty much all hire car firms have the same rules, just different charges.

Is he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read it as hiring for a trip to Italy, if he's hiring a car in Italy then ignore me ;-)

I used to travel to Italy a lot with work. We were always warned about a scam where the hire car company would purposely neglect to leave the unsuspecting renter with a copy of the vehicle registration document and permission to hire letter and you'd quickly get pulled up by local police (in on the scam) and fined. Not sure whether this was widespread or just work folklore, but on checking it seems Italian laws do require a motorist to be in possession of those documents.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I used to travel to Italy a lot with work. We were always warned about a scam where the hire car company would purposely neglect to leave the unsuspecting renter with a copy of the vehicle registration document and permission to hire letter and you'd quickly get pulled up by local police (in on the scam) and fined. Not sure whether this was widespread or just work folklore, but on checking it seems Italian laws do require a motorist to be in possession of those documents.
    Mostly done electronic these days with all documents in your inbox. I've rented a few times in Sicily and always had a good experience. It does take a little time to adapt to the driving style though!

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Zurich https://www.zurich.co.uk/insurance/c...cess-insurance currently the cheapest.

And they are and actual insurance company rather than a broker or small-fish. Although I haven't had trouble with small-fish in the past.
    Seems Zurich have pulled out of this market.
    Zurich car hire excess insurance: From 1st October 2022, Zurich are no longer providing car hire excess insurance to new customers. If you purchased a Zurich hire car excess insurance policy before this date then you will be covered until your policy expires.

... and insurance4hirecar only covers UK residents ...

Have any non UK residents used such an insurance service they would recommend?

Thanks

Watch out for Green Motion car hire
    The excess policy selling companies are mostly now covering all car hire firms APART from from a car rented from Green Motion.

It seems Green Motion have been so liberal with charging hirers for damage post return, that the insurers have walked away.

Naughty Green Motion.

Craftsman
    Very naughty Green Motion. DON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    Seems Zurich have pulled out of this market.
    Zurich car hire excess insurance: From 1st October 2022, Zurich are no longer providing car hire excess insurance to new customers. If you purchased a Zurich hire car excess insurance policy before this date then you will be covered until your policy expires.

... and insurance4hirecar only covers UK residents ...

Have any non UK residents used such an insurance service they would recommend?

Thanks
    Probably similar restrictions with foreign firms too.

Went with these: https://www.rentalcover.com/en/
    Just over a fiver a day so much cheaper than the car hire firms.
    Web site is good... but will only know how good they are if i need to make a claim!

Always take a video of the car you are hiring before you leave the lot. Video the whole way around the car. That way you avoid arguing the toss when you return the car or open yourself up to dodgy car hire practises.