closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: new dial slight damage - question for the experts

Craftsman

new dial slight damage - question for the experts UPDATED

Hi everyone,
    I recently bought a dial for a project and I have received it. However, there's a slight bit of damage at around the 57th minute. Not being a watchmaker, I've no idea if this will be visible once installed or not so I'm looking for some advice. Should I send it back or just keep going and install it? Thank you all!

Last edited by gregbuc; 13th December 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Link wasn't working

I don’t think it will be as the bezel and crystal will hide it, that said if you paid full price surely a refund is in order?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I would imagine that was a pricey dial, I know ive been down that route.

As for the Damage, well I’m no expert but would have thought it would not be visible when fitted but I would reject purely on the grounds its not perfect.

Did you buy from here

https://www.swisslimitededitions.com/speedmaster-dials
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

As for the Damage, well I’m no expert but would have thought it would not be visible when fitted but I would reject purely on the grounds its not perfect.

Did you buy from here

No, not from there. My first instinct was to reject it as I know the mark is there and as you say, it's not perfect. The gentleman who sold it said that all the dials from Omega are coming like that and I won't see it when fitted. Now that sounded to me like "they all do that sir". My watchmaker is fairly convinced that it won't be visible when fitted but obviously it's difficult to return if you've already fitted it to a watch etc. On one hand I'm tempted to send it back and on the other I've been looking for a long time to find one at a "reasonable" (well not very reasonable in fairness) price. If I can see the mark though every time I wear the bloody watch then it'll always annoy me.

Blog Entries
    I hesitate to answer as I'm not a watchmaker but if we're talking about the small 'chip' out of the dial then I'm certain that it won't be visible when fitted. It will be hidden behind the case or chapter ring. If that was my dial then I'd proceed with it without concern.

Master
    Interested to see these replies - given that it's going to be covered by the rehaut I don't see it as damage myself; I bet there are thousands of dials with similar flaws that will never be seen except by a watchmaker.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Interested to see these replies - given that it's going to be covered by the rehaut I don't see it as damage myself; I bet there are thousands of dials with similar flaws that will never be seen except by a watchmaker.
    That was my hope, that it would be covered and I wouldn't see it. If that is the case then I'd proceed as Mark suggested.

Blog Entries
    I bet there are thousands of dials with similar flaws that will never be seen except by a watchmaker.
    Exactly.

I own quite a few vintage Seiko watches and dial condition is very important to me. I can't stand a flaw that I know will catch my eye. Even a normally perfect-looking dial looks terrible when taken out of the case and looked at separately: The edge/rim is typically scratched to oblivion after 40+ years rubbing against the case/rehaut/chapter ring. But it doesn't matter as we just don't see that part of the dial in normal use.

Similarly it always amuses me what the back of a dial looks like on even the very best watches. Raw brass, marked, rough. But who cares because it's not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbuc View Post
    That was my hope, that it would be covered and I wouldn't see it. If that is the case then I'd proceed as Mark suggested.
    I think that should be your position with the seller, if you cant see it, fine, you keep it, if you can see it, you send it back. Thats what I would do.
    Beautiful dial by the way, always loved those.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Correct! Especially on older watches.

I don`t know what the dial is or how old, the photo's far too small to make sense of, but I can see the small chip in the paint at the edge and it's highly likely it will be covered by the rehaut ring. If there's any possibility of the finish flaking from that point a very tiny touch of clear lacquer will stabilise it, that needs doing by a watch repairer . OP isn`t saying what the parentage of the dial is, if he's been sold it as new and perfect it clearly has a small flaw but provided there's no more damage and the finish isn`t flaking it should be OK. My guess is that he didn't receive this in manufacturer's original unopened packaging.

One way to check is to remove the movement from the watch and note how the rehaut overlaps the edge of the dial, that'll give an indication of whether the damage will be visible or not. This can be assessed by looking at the dial currently fitted, no need to even remove the movement but doing that will give further confirmation.

Be careful not to piss your friendly watchmaker off, they don't like having their judgement questioned!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Correct! Especially on older watches.

I don`t know what the dial is or how old, the photo's far too small to make sense of, but I can see the small chip in the paint at the edge and it's highly likely it will be covered by the rehaut ring. If there's any possibility of the finish flaking from that point a very tiny touch of clear lacquer will stabilise it, that needs doing by a watch repairer . OP isn`t saying what the parentage of the dial is, if he's been sold it as new and perfect it clearly has a small flaw but provided there's no more damage and the finish isn`t flaking it should be OK. My guess is that he didn't receive this in manufacturer's original unopened packaging.

One way to check is to remove the movement from the watch and note how the rehaut overlaps the edge of the dial, that'll give an indication of whether the damage will be visible or not. This can be assessed by looking at the dial currently fitted, no need to even remove the movement but doing that will give further confirmation.

Be careful not to piss your friendly watchmaker off, they don't like having their judgement questioned!
    The dial was sold as used but it is in Omega case. If you click on the image you should get a bigger version of the picture and it can be seen clearer. Definitely won't piss off the watchmaker - I was just looking for someone to tell me to cop on and install the dial! Or to tell me to send it back if they thought it was going to be seen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think that should be your position with the seller, if you cant see it, fine, you keep it, if you can see it, you send it back. Thats what I would do.
    Beautiful dial by the way, always loved those.
    That’s a reasonable way to proceed. Thank you.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Did you buy from here

Jeez I sold a Speedmaster with a mitsukoshi dial in it in 2016 for less than half the cost of a mitsukoshi dial on that site!

Craftsman
    I finally got around to getting the dial put into my Speedster. Here is the result in case anyone has the same question later on. Worked out perfectly and very happy with the outcome. Thank you again for all the sound advice.

Looks amazing
    What’s the date of the dial if you don’t mind me asking

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    Looks amazing
    What’s the date of the dial if you don’t mind me asking

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Not at all!

The date on the dial is July 20th 1969 which is the date (in US time) that Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon with Apollo 11.

Master
    Very nice indeed, congrats.

Craftsman
    Very nice indeed, congrats.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Jeez I sold a Speedmaster with a mitsukoshi dial in it in 2016 for less than half the cost of a mitsukoshi dial on that site!
    Just saw this thread and it’s further increased my regret. I sold a fully serviced Speedmaster with Mitsukoshi dial and handset for £2100. It was back in 2014 but had I known… :-(

I hate this hobby sometimes. :-)

Although, it could have been worse I suppose.

Enjoy the watch OP. And hold onto it.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 14th December 2022 at 12:13.

That turned out well
    Very nice

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Just saw this thread and it’s further increased my regret. I sold a fully serviced Speedmaster with Mitsukoshi dial and handset for £2100. It was back in 2014 but had I known… :-(

I hate this hobby sometimes. :-)

Although, it could have been worse I suppose.

Enjoy the watch OP. And hold onto it.
    Definitely not going anywhere. My son can flog it off as an antique when he eventually gets his hands on it.