closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inflation

Craftsman

Inflation

I had a chat with a Chartered Surveyor last night who opined that inflation was running at 30% , I thought about 15% . What do the TZ massive think ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd say 20% at a conservative view. If you read up on how Western governments measure inflation, there's so much jiggery pokery.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

due to the shortages in components inflation in the electronics industry is running much higher than that, it is not uncommon for companies to pay 20-30 times the price of a year ago for parts.

In the last 12 months our supplier has put the price of oak up by around 70%

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some interesting analysis here on this.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate...flation-charts

Baseline for day to day living, general expenses etc low double digits.
    But if you have a particular one off big expense going on, building work etc then 30% doesn't sound unrealistic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I had a chat with a Chartered Surveyor last night who opined that inflation was running at 30% , I thought about 15% . What do the TZ massive think ?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think he is talking about certain commodities inflation, not what ONS use as their data set and weightings

It would be easier to list goods that are not going up in price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I think he is talking about certain commodities inflation, not what ONS use as their data set and weightings
    The only thing that counts is either RPI or CPI. Most increases are based on that and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Today we would lose but we cannot say by how much because we all have different spending pattern. I live in my own house without a mortgage thus I have zero increase whereas someone renting a house will be hit hard.

Lurpak butter £9.35 a tub! Now that's inflation 😲

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perfect storm for food prices - catering oil and grain prices have gone north due to shortages of supply from Ukraine (Lurpak is made with Rapeseed).

My favoured plain choccy digestives went up 15% and I get through a pack a week. Going to stock up....

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Perfect storm for food prices - catering oil and grain prices have gone north due to shortages of supply from Ukraine (Lurpak is made with Rapeseed).

My favoured plain choccy digestives went up 15% and I get through a pack a week. Going to stock up....
    Really, Is Lurpak made with rapeseed oil ? I only ever have had the stuff on holiday in Greece and assumed it to be regular butter. If that's not so I'll have to make a change next week... Ah , I now see it is blended with the oil to make it spreadable from the fridge, that makes sense , but there can't be that much oil in it , surely ??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Really, Is Lurpak made with rapeseed oil ? I only ever have had the stuff on holiday in Greece and assumed it to be regular butter. If that's not so I'll have to make a change next week... Ah , I now see it is blended with the oil to make it spreadable from the fridge, that makes sense , but there can't be that much oil in it , surely ??
    Lurpack Spreadable

INGREDIENTS

Butter [milk] (69%)

Vegetable oil (25%)

Lactic culture [milk]

Salt (0.9%)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Going to be giving that a miss now, thanks. Would explain the overall blandness of the paste.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post

That's what we did during the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The only thing that counts is either RPI or CPI.
    What a strange statement.

Inflation for most industries is completely independent of official indicators. For example structural steel prices are circa 70% up in the last year.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    What a strange statement.

Inflation for most industries is completely independent of official indicators. For example structural steel prices are circa 70% up in the last year.
    Yes but inflation is measured on the CPI or RPI which is a pre agreed package of goods that the average family buys. Things that are commonly purchased such as bread are included whereas unusual things such as, let's say, a rectum stretcher are not included. The increase in steel may have jumped 70% but that does not mean inflation is 70%.

We will all have a personal inflation rate. Heavily mortgaged will be having their mortgage eroded by inflation, exporters will be enjoying the collapse in Sterling those who buy imports or live abroad less so. Commuters by car suffering more than those who commute by train or bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes but inflation is measured on the CPI or RPI which is a pre agreed package of goods that the average family buys. Things that are commonly purchased such as bread are included whereas unusual things such as, let's say, a rectum stretcher are not included. The increase in steel may have jumped 70% but that does not mean inflation is 70%.
    I'm in need of a rectum stretcher in readiness for my next electricity bill TBF

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Plus a knob of Lurpak butter
    Last edited by Mick P; 5th July 2022 at 20:38.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    We had our solar panels installed last October. Just in time! Our combined gas/electric monthly bill went from 280 euros in december to 119 euro now. Even with the higher prices of gas etc. (We pay the same amount for 12 months and we get an update from the supplier if our monthly payment is still correct; not too high/low).

Apart from that: prices are up and up! Average inflation here in the Netherlands is 10%. My wife was in Switzerland the other day and had a look inside a COOP store. She noticed that the prices of daily products are lower in Switzerland than here in the Netherlands. In Switzerland of all places. (With a 3.4% inflation - the highest in 29 yrs...).

Same goes for the NE part of the US: Boston, NY, NJ. Prices are insane, and with the higher dollar vs euro, it's even more insane. I paid 11 euros (10 GBP?) in a supermarket for 250 grams for a pack of ground coffee!

It is a tricky one, I am also a Surveyor and due to wood/steel/aggregate and myriad other building materials costs as well as Labour rates building prices are currently running at 20-30% higher than last year for small refurbishment and smaller extension projects. For reference full rebuild for insurance valuation purposes seem to be circa 10-15%. I have not noticed my shopping going up any more than 10%, energy seems to be 70% up to my mind, holidays seem no different to last year. It is a complete mish-mash and I guess that is indicative of the shortages and supply issues in some areas. I suspect that the genuine rate of inflation is a bit higher than the ONS state but that is always the case as electrical items and technology are not regular purchases and this artificially deflates the official rate of inflation. So maybe we are in for 10-15% but it depends how you spend your money. Buy a new Rolex and they are 10% up on last year.

Blog Entries
    Building projects are stagnating here. No materials etc. Friends with 'deep pockets' (so to speak) asked an architect to come up with a plan for a new house. The bureau delivered something that looked like the 'USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier in a meadow'. The council rejected it (for once, I agree with the council) and the architect was sent back to the drawing board. Now a year later, they have a plan that's okee'd by the council, but now the prices are so high that they cannot afford the build!