closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Giving Windows 10 the boot.

Master

Giving Windows 10 the boot.

I have a 10 year old Windows 10 desk top which isn't a patch on my Macbook Pro. I just find the Mac much easier to use and I reckon it's time for the Windows 10 to be put to rest.

My only major worry is that I have a lot of older style Excel spreadsheets that I have never updated since about 2005 in the Windows and I cannot fathom out how to migrate them to the Macbook. One of the problems of being retired is that you don't keep up with technology.

Does any know how to do it and please explain it in baby language.

Many thanks

If you have a USB stick, copy the Excel files onto it from Windows, plug it into the Mac then copy the files from the stick to the Mac. Assuming you have Excel or Numbers installed on the Mac you should be able to open them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Format a USB stick in exFAT, whcih means it'll be readable by both Mac and PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/733350/how...-macs-and-pcs/

Copy the Excel sheets to the mac

Open in Numbers

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...n753033f43/mac

(or buy MS Office for Mac)

Or you can also upload them to MS office online and open them in a browser.

Master
    So it's as simple as that !

Get a Google account

Sign in on Windows 10 to Google Drive

Dump the lot in there

Go to Google Drive on your MacBook

Open them up and it will ask if you want to open in Google Sheets (Googles fee version of Excel)

If it works happy days. If not buy a licence for MS Office.

The two posts above were about quick for me. If you have a USB stick that works too. I have a new Mac with no useful ports so forgot USB sticks existed!

Craftsman
    Once you have physically moved then onto your Mac you will need an app that will open, update and save them without screwing up the formulas or formats…

You can pay for MS Office for Mac, try and use Numbers or install one of a number of alternatives. I have no experience of Office on Macs. I have had numerous problems trying to use Numbers, mostly with graphs and you then have to save them as Numbers formatted documents.

My best experience has been using LibreOffice which is a free suite of apps that provide all the Office functions and I’ve found it to work seamlessly with older Excel files. I use it to open .XLS files and save then after updates back in .XLS format. Works the same for older .DOC files and obviously supports the later .XLSX and .DOCX file formats.

I personally use Dropbox as a network file store so I can seamlessly share all my important stuff between my Mac, a Windows 10 system and iPad/iPhone.

Master
    While I have no reason to doubt any of the advice above the most important step should be opening, modifying,saving & re-opening any workbooks that are critical/important to you.

Best to know of any interoperability issues now, than when the old desktop has gone.