closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 204

Thread: Interesting new movement from Miyota

  1. #101
    Craftsman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Due to a misunderstanding, I have a prototype in an Everest case.

    Eddie
    So AIUI the dial would be the Everest Expedition dial, but 2mm smaller?

    It's just not going to be big enough for most people is it - even those of us who like the 36mm case size *for non sports bezel* watches!

    DISCLOSURE: I have no interest in GMT watches, so what I think is irrelevant anyway.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Can we please see it.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave from Time Factors

    Timefactors Insta

  3. #103
    Journeyman swanksteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    56
    Sweet Jesus… please make a run of these!


    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #104
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post

    The thicker movement lifts the dial higher in the case... making it look even better than the basic Everest. I also like the counter-balance on the seconds.

    It will never be as popular as the bezel-GMT but a "limited edition" run will most definitely fly.
    I work on a razor blade between gimmickry and amazement. – Richard Mille

  5. #105
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The thicker movement lifts the dial higher in the case... making it look even better than the basic Everest.
    100% in agreement with this!

  6. #106
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,683
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    100% in agreement with this!
    I bet you would love to put an acrylic on that.
    I work on a razor blade between gimmickry and amazement. – Richard Mille

  7. #107
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I bet you would love to put an acrylic on that.
    You may have read my mind….

  8. #108
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,469
    Yes it does sit higher in the case, there's hardly any rehaut and the crystal is a higher dome for the hand clearance.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  9. #109
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Yes it does sit higher in the case, there's hardly any rehaut and the crystal is a higher dome for the hand clearance.

    Eddie
    Looks better for it in my opinion!

  10. #110
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London and Moray
    Posts
    1,794
    That's gorgeous...

  11. #111
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    520
    That 36mm GMT looks very interesting ... any chance of a few more pics (pretty please) ? Face on, side profile, etc etc

  12. #112
    Journeyman swanksteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    56
    Yes, 100% agree!

    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The thicker movement lifts the dial higher in the case... making it look even better than the basic Everest.

  13. #113
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    112
    I won't buy it if it doesn't have a rotating bezel. I've been through GMT watches without rotating bezels (IWC UTC, 2 Explorer IIs) and they are super boring as they are pretty much useless unless you're actually travelling. When not travelling, I would rather just wear a simple 3 hander. On the other hand, a GMT with a rotating bezel is actually useful when not travelling because you can turn that bezel and see the time in different timezones on the fly. In other words, the rotating bezel makes a GMT watch fun. What I didn't like about the Explorer II is that I couldn't really play around with the function in any meaningful way most of the time - it's not like I am going to jump the hours for no reason.

    That Smiths GMT with the rotating bezel is just so delicious looking, I would wear it a lot, whether travelling or not travelling. It's the perfect "one watch" IMO.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 22nd November 2022 at 09:03.

  14. #114
    Master TheGent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    North West, UK
    Posts
    2,678

    Interesting new movement from Miyota

    Just noticed the counterbalance on the seconds hand - a sign of things to come for future Everest’s?

  15. #115
    Journeyman swanksteak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    56
    I like it quite a bit. At the very least, a black dial Expedition would be a great option.

  16. #116
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love this! the higher dial and taller crystal is beautiful. I want one!

  17. #117
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,348
    Blog Entries
    26
    It's a good looking watch.

    But at 36mm it would imvho be a tad too small. Fiddly dial text and GMT hand need 38mm, in my opinion.

  18. #118
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,808
    To me the whole thing looks a little too tall for its diameter.
    Not an immense fan of the smaller GMT hand and inner numeric ring, I like the main central portion of the dial to remain blank (one reason I cannot stand the 13-24 scale on many US military watches, and the minute numerals on the Sinn EZM3)
    Personally, I think the drawing is a huge improvement over this proto.

  19. #119
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The more I look at this the better it gets... It is unique, elegant, tool like... The best thing is it does not simply rehash the tired typical design of bezel etc. As a product designer and in my opinion this design has milage and potential. A unique design. perfect size and form. A potential classic.
    Last edited by joff; 24th November 2022 at 10:38. Reason: spelling

  20. #120
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,348
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    To me the whole thing looks a little too tall for its diameter.
    Yes. I think this is a function of this being the erroneous 36mm prototype (in the wrong case entirely) when it was meant to be 38mm.

    I think it would look better proportioned in 38mm.

    If I am following correctly, it was meant to be this at 38mm (from #59):
    Last edited by markrlondon; 24th November 2022 at 15:06.

  21. #121
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    33,683
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    To me the whole thing looks a little too tall for its diameter.

    ...........
    We need to see more pictures. Otherwise we are just guessing.

    I also think it will look better as a 38mm. It will complement the Commander nicely.
    I work on a razor blade between gimmickry and amazement. – Richard Mille

  22. #122
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    367
    Wow,
    What a happy accident. Looks very good to me. I like the higher dial position. I guess it may be 13mm thick? I don’t suppose this one will hit the production line. It’s a great variant.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #123
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    367
    Any chance some more pics please Eddie. :)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #124
    One thing, if the concern is the dial being too small: surely 36mm without a rotating bezel will have a larger dial than 38mm with one?

  25. #125
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Forfar
    Posts
    151
    I am not a fan of gmt watches- largely because I have reached a stage in life where anything which detracts from ‘no glasses’ visibility is an issue. That having been said, the 36mm does have an amazing serious tool watch vibe which is enhanced by the dial sitting so high with virtually no rehaut.if it can be done a short production run at 36mm would definitely sell


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #126
    Craftsman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    326
    To be honest, I'm struggling with the idea that after several months in the design development stage, a misunderstanding by the manufacturer in producing the prototype has led to the serious consideration of adopting a model which looks substantially different to the intended design, and with an altered functionality.

    I'll bet the intended design would sell a lot better than this accidental version. It certainly looks more attractive to my eyes!

  27. #127
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,348
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    To be honest, I'm struggling with the idea that after several months in the design development stage, a misunderstanding by the manufacturer in producing the prototype has led to the serious consideration of adopting a model which looks substantially different to the intended design, and with an altered functionality.
    Did Eddie say that?

  28. #128
    Grand Master Dave+63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    15,179
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Did Eddie say that?
    No he didn’t.

    That said, I would have thought that if enough people like it (as they seem to do), a short run of this model could be made alongside the original model.

    My favourite is the cream dial with the bezel and one which is definitely consider buying if I could get my order in quick enough.

  29. #129
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,348
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That said, I would have thought that if enough people like it (as they seem to do), a short run of this model could be made alongside the original model.
    In principle, one might have thought so. BUT.... short runs for specialist interest are potentially dangerous. It's really only a very few people who like it (the usual 36mm suspects one might call them! ) and will that translate to enough sales to pay for the smallest run possible? Personally I would have my doubts.

    Also, what is the smallest run possible? I don't know what minimum run Eddie's OEM is willing to cost effectively manufacture but I know that, at one time, Steinhart's OEM (just as an example) could only cost effectively do a minimum run of about 111-150. Taking that as a hypothetical number, would 111-150 of this '36mm GMT Everest' sell? Well, there were nothing like 111-150 super-supporters of the accidental 36mm design in this thread. How many actual sales would the super-supporters in this thread generate? Maybe 10-15 at most.

    As I said, I think the 36mm does look nice (albeit imvho too tall-looking for the diameter) but the 38mm, bezel, PRS-58 Traveller (as per #59) is almost certainly a vastly more commercially realistic item to manufacture I would have thought.

    Anyway, Eddie knows what he's going to do. :-) The above is just how I see it.

  30. #130
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,469
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    In principle, one might have thought so. BUT.... short runs for specialist interest are potentially dangerous. It's really only a very few people who like it (the usual 36mm suspects one might call them! ) and will that translate to enough sales to pay for the smallest run possible? Personally I would have my doubts.

    Also, what is the smallest run possible? I don't know what minimum run Eddie's OEM is willing to cost effectively manufacture but I know that, at one time, Steinhart's OEM (just as an example) could only cost effectively do a minimum run of about 111-150. Taking that as a hypothetical number, would 111-150 of this '36mm GMT Everest' sell? Well, there were nothing like 111-150 super-supporters of the accidental 36mm design in this thread. How many actual sales would the super-supporters in this thread generate? Maybe 10-15 at most.

    As I said, I think the 36mm does look nice (albeit imvho too tall-looking for the diameter) but the 38mm, bezel, PRS-58 Traveller (as per #59) is almost certainly a vastly more commercially realistic item to manufacture I would have thought.

    Anyway, Eddie knows what he's going to do. :-) The above is just how I see it.
    The minimum run for any model is 300 but I can have different dials and handsets. For the Trans-global, I got 50 of each dial colour.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  31. #131
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    25,348
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The minimum run for any model is 300 but I can have different dials and handsets. For the Trans-global, I got 50 of each dial colour.
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

  32. #132
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    47,469
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    To be honest, I'm struggling with the idea that after several months in the design development stage, a misunderstanding by the manufacturer in producing the prototype has led to the serious consideration of adopting a model which looks substantially different to the intended design, and with an altered functionality.

    I'll bet the intended design would sell a lot better than this accidental version. It certainly looks more attractive to my eyes!
    I hadn't actually asked for a prototype, he made the 36mm version so that I could familiarise myself with the movement. He used the Everest case because he had some on hand and didn't require tooling up for a new case. He didn't tell me he weas doing it and I was surprised to receive it.

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  33. #133
    Craftsman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I hadn't actually asked for a prototype, he made the 36mm version so that I could familiarise myself with the movement. He used the Everest case because he had some on hand and didn't require tooling up for a new case. He didn't tell me he weas doing it and I was surprised to receive it.

    Eddie
    I see!

    As you've explained that the minimum order is 300, can we assume that this variant won't be going into production? If so, you could always auction off the one you've got as the ultimate collector's item for fans of the Everest range!

  34. #134
    Grand Master zelig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glevum, UK
    Posts
    10,437
    Blog Entries
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post
    Would look even better with a longer GMT hand of the original design... IMHO.
    (the stubby GMT hand is one of my pet hates)

    z

  35. #135
    Apprentice tic.tock.doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    43
    Spotted these Ikepod GMTs fitted with the Miyota 9075 at the Argyll Arcades in Glasgow. Pretty neat, but the hand finishing was a bit rough (maybe intentionally?) for a £2k watch...

    Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

  36. #136
    I've always had a soft-spot for IKEPODs but you'd have to be soft in the head to drop £2k on one of those. Yikes.

  37. #137
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2
    Hello, I never comment, but this news is fantastic.

    My dream is a 36mm Everest Expedition GMT with everything as is, only a gmt hand more (and maybe with a narrow rehaut with the 24 hour markings á la Monta Atlas). I mean 36mm case, plain bezel, 4th hand, done.

    Thank you for your attention

  38. #138
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I want this! When?

  39. #139
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Arnhem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Brammer View Post



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not need a GMT, but this looks very nice.
    First try to buy a PRS-25 Everest this sunday.

  40. #140
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    68

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've gone with this.



    Eddie
    Love the general design
    Love the bezel style and lume.
    Love the stepped dial.
    Hands could be a bit bolder for more lume area.

    Very nice, but for me there would have to be a few changes to be perfect ...

    1. 42mm (preferably Titanium)
    2. Possibility to set Bezel 12 at the Top (e.g. Caret at 12 -or- 12<->00 opposite sides ) - e.g. set as GMT Sun Hand for Northern Climes where the Sun appears to move clockwise.
    3. Prefer a Blue GMT hand (C3 Arrow Head as normal)
    4. Prefer a 2 tone Light/Dark (Blue/Black) Bezel Insert but not essential
    5. Chapter ring - 12 at Top - Numerals from the centre so could be assembled reversed to suit others tastes. If Possible with White @Top for Day, Black Lower for Night

    Favourite design features
    1. Batons (C3) Larger/Longer on Quarters - Not Numerals or Blobs - Possibly 12 numeral at top OK.
    2. Bi Directional Bezel (48 Good - 96 Best)

    _________________________
    Edit: Off Topic Addendum
    OCD Gripe time
    Movement Impossibilities ... Probably just me (?)
    Movement designed for all time zones (or at least most)
    Over 1.7 BILLION people live in non Full-Hour step time zones + Travellers to/from these non-std time zones.
    - Non Std. 1/2 hour time zones should be able to set Local time and GMT with Chapter Ring correct (if present) or the GMT Bezel set to a standard hour position.
    This would simply require a 1/2 Hour jumping GMT hand for the 1.7 Billion people in 1/2 hour timezones.
    A 1/4 hour jumping GMT hand for Nepal+ (30 Million) though this may not really be practical.

    Ah well - Just an idea or 2 ....

    INFO
    Non "Std" Timezones

    1/2 Hour Offset
    Afghanistan 88,000,000
    AUS - Northern T. 250,000
    AUS - South A. 1,800,000
    Canada - St. Johns 114,000
    India 1,408,000,000
    Iran 88,000,000
    Myanmar 54,000,000
    Sri Lanka 22,000,000
    Venezuela 28,000,000

    1/2 Hour Offset Total 1,690,164,000

    1/4 Hour Offset
    Nepal + 30,000,000


    Total Non Hour Timezones 1,720,164,000
    Last edited by judge; 10th January 2023 at 08:13.

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    This would simply require a 1/2 Hour jumping GMT hand for the 1.7 Billion people in 1/2 hour timezones.
    A 1/4 hour jumping GMT hand for Nepal+ (30 Million) though this may not really be practical.
    We've waited this long for a cheap traveller's GMT, and now you want to make it more complicated?! :)

    It's the hour hand that steps on this movement, not the GMT hand. (Which is, of course, the correct way.)

  42. #142
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    68
    OK - Impossible as I said.

    Need to be able to jump both - GMT by 1/2 or 1/4 and Hour by singles in order to do non standard zones properly, but I don't expect any movement in this form anytime soon (ever) - Just noting how billions are ignored!

  43. #143
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    OK - Impossible as I said.

    Need to be able to jump both - GMT by 1/2 or 1/4 and Hour by singles in order to do non standard zones properly, but I don't expect any movement in this form anytime soon (ever) - Just noting how billions are ignored!
    Not sure how big Eddie’s market would be in Afghanistan, even if he could add features which no other manufacturer can offer in a mechanical movement.

  44. #144
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    5,808
    The thing about jumping hour hands is that the minutes and seconds can remain where they are.
    If you want half or even quarter hour increments, by definition they have to move (or the minutes do, at least).
    All watches have this ability, in time setting mode. Creating half or quarter detentes in what would otherwise be a smooth setting scale is pointless.
    Imagine you have let your watch stop, and it is 2 hrs 32 minutes off correct, how frustrating would it be to have a detente that forces the correction to 2 1/2 hrs.
    I do not think billions are being ignored, i think practicality has rightly limited the mechanism to one that makes sense.

  45. #145
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The thing about jumping hour hands is that the minutes and seconds can remain where they are.
    If you want half or even quarter hour increments, by definition they have to move (or the minutes do, at least).
    All watches have this ability, in time setting mode. Creating half or quarter detentes in what would otherwise be a smooth setting scale is pointless.
    Imagine you have let your watch stop, and it is 2 hrs 32 minutes off correct, how frustrating would it be to have a detente that forces the correction to 2 1/2 hrs.
    I do not think billions are being ignored, i think practicality has rightly limited the mechanism to one that makes sense.
    Minutes don't remain where they are for say India ! etc.
    The GMT hand is coupled to the main hands so while you can change your traveller time zone hour using the quickset feature, if you are in an odd timezone you also have to adjust the minutes by 30 or 15/45 and this throws the GMT hand off by this amount meaning that a GMT chapter ring shows the wrong time and a GMT Bezel has to be offset by 30 minutes or 15/45 minutes. 48 step Bezels will show 30 minute offset but a 96 step bezel is needed to show 15/45 offset. As said a chapter ring marked for true GMT can never be adjusted.

    Apparently - 18 million tourists went to India in 2019

  46. #146
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    68
    OT - Not a watch

    Great for travellers - Sunclock App Android

    My screen with Nepal and Home clocks - Easy to change to any Timezone and Lat/Long/City



  47. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Minutes don't remain where they are for say India ! etc.
    The GMT hand is coupled to the main hands so while you can change your traveller time zone hour using the quickset feature, if you are in an odd timezone you also have to adjust the minutes by 30 or 15/45 and this throws the GMT hand off by this amount meaning that a GMT chapter ring shows the wrong time and a GMT Bezel has to be offset by 30 minutes or 15/45 minutes. 48 step Bezels will show 30 minute offset but a 96 step bezel is needed to show 15/45 offset. As said a chapter ring marked for true GMT can never be adjusted.

    Apparently - 18 million tourists went to India in 2019
    If you think you might be going to India then don't buy one or wear something else for a couple of weeks.

  48. #148
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SW, UK
    Posts
    68

    Just to clarify - Nothing in these posts is meant to suggest I don't think the new Smiths T-GMT isn't great and the movement is a breath of fresh air.
    I love the black version especially, though the cream one is lovely too, but they're just a bit too small for me.

    Back on topic.

  49. #149
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    OK - Impossible as I said.

    Need to be able to jump both - GMT by 1/2 or 1/4 and Hour by singles in order to do non standard zones properly, but I don't expect any movement in this form anytime soon (ever) - Just noting how billions are ignored!
    billions should be ignored. I sympathize for the people, but they should petition their governments to make common-sense decisions.

    Take Singapore for example, it is NOT in the +8 timezone geographically, but they chose to standardize to +8 in order to synchronize with Hong Kong and China. This is a sensible decision for a global city.

    If countries want to have stupid 1/4 or even 1/2 hour TZs, then they should suffer the very minor horological inconvenience of it (minor because there are practical workarounds, like Casios). There's NO reason for any country or city to have a 1/4 or 1/2 hour timezone given the success story of Singapore (one of the richest countries in the world) who have shown you can shift an entire TZ because it's sensible.

  50. #150
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    West Sussex, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    7,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    ^^^^
    Why do you need lume on bezel? It’s useless.
    What, even in the dark??

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information