closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting new movement from Miyota

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    ^^^^
    Why do you need lume on bezel? It’s useless.
    Not true at all. Lume on the bezel means all of the watches functions can be used in poor light. A lume pip, or a 12 marker only does a fraction of the bezel's job. They can be made so well now, I can see no reason for a non-lumed bezel.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Or perhaps this?

Eddie
    That would be my choice. But please don't do the Seiko-esque type case design like the Commander, I think a more PRS29 flat sides suits this better. I think the PRS29 should be the "platform" design for all these watches - ie. start with the PRS29 case, caseback, lugs and then iterate from there to create the Traveller, Commander, Everest and so on.

Also, look how clean this watch looks without the date.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    One of the two hands (seconds or GMT) should be a different colour...

Option 1: Red secs, blue GMT (my personal favourite)

Option 2: Silver secs, red GMT (as per Rollie GMT2)
    I think

Option 3: blue seconds, red GMT

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    That would be my choice. But please don't do the Seiko-esque type case design like the Commander, I think a more PRS29 flat sides suits this better. I think the PRS29 should be the "platform" design for all these watches - ie. start with the PRS29 case, caseback, lugs and then iterate from there to create the Traveller, Commander, Everest and so on.

I think the Crown on this render looks perfect and if used across the Everest, Expedition, Commando range as standard, it would elevate the look of the watch considerably.

I always thought that the existing Crown style looked too much like the Hamilton offering to be honest.....here's hoping.

I think you'd find that many people like the Everest case. I certainly wouldn't consider the PRS-29 case an upgrade, though I've got nothing against it. In any event, the chances of Eddie making such a basic change to the Everest, which I imagine is the best-selling line he's ever produced, must be vanishingly small!

Agree about no-date dials though.

According to Eddie, he has prototypes with this movement, coming.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Journeyman
    The picture above is beautiful. Simply beautiful especially without the nonsense of the date.

The first prototype on page 1 is hideous. I would not buy it, but I would 100% buy the Everest Traveller.

Eddie: please release it in the Everest Traveller design, with no date and with the 20,000A/m antimagnetic protection. Just focus on beauty, that's all that matters. If people want a date, every single other GMT watch has it. But few watches just focus on beauty. Look at the Omega Seamaster Spectre. Look at the Everest Traveller - just so beautiful when the dial is whole.

I honestly think the watch above is one of the most beautiful watches ever. I think it's more beautiful than any watch currently from Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Tag and Omega (for reference, I have 2 Rolexes, 4 Tudors, 2 Breitlings, 1 Tag and 1 Omega). I really really love the hands. In fact, I think it's the MOST attractive GMT watch I have ever seen. The combination of what appears to be blued hands, and the red seconds + GMT hand is a killer. Those hands!!! They look so good on the cream dial.

I hope the sides of the case are flat (like the PRS29), and not rounded.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 18th October 2022 at 07:20.

Journeyman
    If I were toi do something like this, it wold be a tad under £400.

Eddie
    I’d have one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've gone with this.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I've gone with this.

Eddie
    Looks good Eddie.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Yes, that looks excellent. Good call.

Master
    Blog Entries

I would love to see a Smiths version of this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone with this.

Eddie
    Sold. Lovely. Perhaps it isn't the most obvious GMT hand choice, but it does look good.
    D

Looks fantastic! I love both dials. Count me in!!!

I've gone with this.

Eddie

I've gone with this.

Eddie
    Just looking for confirmation. Is this correct?

1. With the cream dial the hands look "blue"

2. With the black dial the hands look "silver"
    Last edited by abraxas; 10th November 2022 at 13:17.

Just looking for confirmation. Is this correct?

1. With the cream dial the hands look "blue"

2. With the black dial the hands look "silver"
    Correct.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    I've gone with this.
    Yes, very nice.

I like the grey countersink of the black version. I am sad that we lost the silver bezel but a black dial as a variation makes more sence.

Any particular reason why you've gone without a date, Eddie? It's the one thing that would put me off buying this as a travelling watch.

Pretty design, but a GMT without date seems incomplete to me and an odd choice given the movement comes with date originally.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Any particular reason why you've gone without a date, Eddie? It's the one thing that would put me off buying this as a travelling watch.
    For a date function to be really useful it should have two dates. For instance, if it was 6AM in London on 11 November, it would be 10PM on 10 November in California. The date would only apply to the timezone of the display on the main hour and minute hands. Besides, date windows spoil the symmetry of the dial.

Eddie

100% agree!

date windows spoil the symmetry of the dial.

Eddie

That looks really good.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I agree, and I also think a date window doesn't sit so well on a very traditional dial like this, effectively a design that looks like it comes from a time when date complications didn't exist.
    No date looks great here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post
    100% agree!
    I second that....

Will this use the Commander case used in the prototype (back when it was rated 200 WR)? Seems like it might be thinner than the current Commander. Would that make the case thickness at around 12.1 mm?

The picture above is beautiful. Simply beautiful especially without the nonsense of the date.

The first prototype on page 1 is hideous. I would not buy it, but I would 100% buy the Everest Traveller.

Eddie: please release it in the Everest Traveller design, with no date and with the 20,000A/m antimagnetic protection. Just focus on beauty, that's all that matters. If people want a date, every single other GMT watch has it. But few watches just focus on beauty. Look at the Omega Seamaster Spectre. Look at the Everest Traveller - just so beautiful when the dial is whole.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think the Dreadnought is a classic design in its own right. Maybe not everyone's taste, but while I didn't hate my Everest, I didn't keep it, so what is?

All that said, I do like the black/grey dialed version.

Looking forward to seeing the prototype photos.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Personally, I much prefer the GMT scale to be on the dial or chapeter ring, and the bezel to be 0-60, but that's just my preference.
    That certainly makes for a more versatile watch; the other option might be a combined GMT / 0-60 or 60-0 bezel, as Fortis and MkII both offered at one time:

Master
    I agree, and I also think a date window doesn't sit so well on a very traditional dial like this, effectively a design that looks like it comes from a time when date complications didn't exist.
    No date looks great here.
    Dave - what do you have against watches with dates? IIRC w had a similar discussion about the Mission Timer - a watch that I would definitely buy, if it had a date. I appreciate that the Vanguard has styling cues from 1960s watches such as the no-date Omega SM300, but when Rolex introduced the GMT it had a date.

A travel-type GMT is the one type of watch when you most certainly need a date. When you're travelling across time zones it's very easy to get confused about the date. For example, taking an afternoon or evening flight from London to Sydney, you'll be in the air on three different dates. It's useful to know what date it is, now. And, as a former professional but now unpaid Navigator, if you're using a watch like this for navigation, especially old-school celestial navigation, which I still practice when sailing offshore, you can't navigate without knowing the local date. Even for local navigation you need to know the date when checking tide tables, weather forecasts, etc.

If you're that concerned about symmetry, let's have a date at 6, like the Breguet XXI.

But, please, please, let's have a date.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 13th November 2022 at 01:05.

Surely a date is essential.

Set to the time zone you’re in, if you can’t figure out if you’re ahead or behind, perhaps you shouldn’t be travelling.

Or just go with the flow with the local time zone and forget about gmt, or whatever time zone you may by fretting about.

Lack of date window spoils the asymmetry.

Interesting new movement from Miyota

Ignore!

I really like it as it is, without date. The steel bezel looked interesting to, maybe for a later variation?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I have no objection to the date complication, but my points against it here (and on the Mission Timer) are all related to the design and style.
    Does any cockpit clock have the date? No. Because they are to tell the time and measure elapsed time.
    Did almost any watch from the 50s when this style of design originated have a date complication? No.
    I am aware that they may also not have had GMT, but an extra hand can easily be incorporated without changing the design language.
    What i would like to see avoided is the overlaying a theoretical specification onto a style of watch that doesn't warrant it. The date would look wrong on this style of watch.
    That doesn't mean there is no merit for the date on a GMT watch. Just not this one.

Master
    Does any cockpit clock have the date? No. Because they are to tell the time and measure elapsed time.
    Not to point out the obvious, but aviation uses Zulu time so there’s no need for a GMT function either. The GMT Master came into being for flight crews to be aware purely for local time, where I’d agree a date can be useful, or at least as useful as it normally is on a watch.
    I like a date watch, so I’d prefer to see a GMT with one.

Journeyman
    I love it. This is a must-buy for me. Ignore those naysayers about the sans-date. I think this watch should be about beauty, and it is a beaut.

I get the "functional" arguments about the date, but when you're in an airport, you don't need a date. You just don't. If you do, you look at your cellphone. What I do find useful is if you fall asleep and you wake up and want to quickly make sure you're not late for the connecting flight - that's why all the jumping hours are needed. Then when you're at the destination, sure a date might be useful to know when to get back on the plane to come back, but COME ON! You're on vacation - just enjoy your time, you really don't need to be reminded constantly that your days are dwindling.

I have a Tudor BB GMT that has a date, and honestly if I had this Smiths, I would seriously consider wearing it instead of the Tudor on vacation. Because this Smiths just feels and looks so nice. It's my companion. It doesn't even need to do anything.

And here's the thing, it is based on the new Miyota True GMT movement that everyone will want. There will be a bazillion and one iterations, almost certainly all with a date. The Smiths will probably be the only one without a date, and will probably be the only one with antimagnetic protection - that makes it the most special and most desirable.

Plenty of people around the world go travelling with watches that don't have a date (eg. Explorer, Cartier Tank, Reverso, Sub no-date, Speedmaster Pro, Tudor BB58 etc.) - the date just isn't needed. I've had dates on all my watches for 2 decades, and now I exclusively go for watches that don't have a date, because it's all about beauty and the date isn't needed once you get over the OCD of having it. Just ask the Astronauts and Sir Edmund Hillary.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 14th November 2022 at 17:54.

I like the grey countersink of the black version. I am sad that we lost the silver bezel but a black dial as a variation makes more sence.
    I don't think it is grey, I think he's drawn it like that to show that it's countersunk.

Eddie

Simply beautiful especially without the nonsense of the date.
    Ignore those naysayers about the sans-date.
    Someone hand him a rattle or something...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    lol.. poor rodia can't function without a date? Hint: a calendar and a memory that lasts at least 24 hours is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    He needs an....

H-STYLE WRIST CALENDAR
    https://lunareplicas.com/products/h-...endar-set-2022

^^^
    Coolness!
    And for everyone who, like me, had no idea how that is a 'wrist' calendar and maybe thought that the Hs join together to form a bracelet:
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...rist-calendar/
    https://themasterofspeed.com/2019/08...without-bezel/

I don't think it is grey, I think he's drawn it like that to show that it's countersunk.

Eddie
    I think it'd be good if it was

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I think it looks great, especially the cream dial. The 38mm case width is fab for me. Do we know the case thickness? I hope it’s not more than 12mm ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    I think it looks great, especially the cream dial. The 38mm case width is fab for me. Do we know the case thickness? I hope it’s not more than 12mm ish.
    It should be the same as the Commander.

Craftsman
    Thanks, that’s pretty good in terms of thickness. This gmt has a lot of potential to be a hit.

That’s what I was thinking but the spec sheet Eddie posted listed 200M water resistance, rather than the 300M of the Commander. In either case, it’s going to be a great GMT!

It should be the same as the Commander.

Apprentice
    Do it on the speedbird 36 and expedition 36.

Sent from my 21051182G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by allanzzz View Post
    Do it on the speedbird 36 and expedition 36.
    My feeling is that the movement is too thick for 36mm. Are you aware of any 36mm using it?

Due to a misunderstanding, I have a prototype in an Everest case.

Eddie

Due to a misunderstanding, I have a prototype in an Everest case.

Eddie
    Can we please see it.