closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex winder

Craftsman

Rolex winder

The winder on my sea dweller has stuck , it’s second time it’s happened . The first time I had it serviced by Rolex it’s had little use since . If I use pliers to unscrew it , could it damage it ? All suggestions welcome .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Arrow

Put it in a vice first, make sure it's held nice and tightly otherwise you risk it turning and perhaps scraping the caseback. I'd use a monkey wrench rather than pliers on the winder, you'll get more purchase on it. Let us know how you get on.

Or, don't use any of that, hold it firmly in your hand and use a sheet of kitchen roll to grip the crown and turn it.

Grand Master
    I’m assuming its stuck in the screwed down position. It’s either been over tightened or the threads are damaged. The latter would've been fairly obvious when screwing the crown down, it would’ve felt tight and ‘wrong’, so I assume it’s been overtightened.

If you go near it with pliers or any steel tool you’ll do some damage, at the very least the crown will mark up. Brass- faced pliers would grip the crown without marking, but any attempt to loosen the crown this way needs doing with extreme care by someone who’s experienced with watch work, if you’re ham- fisted enough to overtighten the crown in the first place this clearly isn’t you.

Take the watch to your local Rolex AD and let them have a go at it. Alternatively, put an extra shredded wheat in your breakfast bowl, put a leather glove on, get a very determined grip on the crown and twist.

Seriously, do not be tempted to go near the watch yourself with pliers or similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Seriously, do not be tempted to go near the watch yourself with pliers or similar.
    I assumed the question and response were joking!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    damp cloth and hold it with the 6 pointing away from you, unscrew in the opposite direction (so roll forward instead of back) if you've overtightened it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Put it in a vice first, make sure it's held nice and tightly otherwise you risk it turning and perhaps scraping the caseback. I'd use a monkey wrench rather than pliers on the winder, you'll get more purchase on it. Let us know how you get on.
    This is brilliant and made me laugh out loud!

Grand Master
    Could always get a Stilson on it of it’s really tight......assuming the mole grips won’t fix it.

Boil a kettle, then hold the watch with crown at 45' down and carefully run the hot water over the crown front and back for 15 seconds.

Avoid the case and crystal, it may expand the crown sufficiently to allow it to turn slightly.

Craftsman
    Just use a thick rubber band for better grip on the crown and turn it

Craftsman
    Well thanks for the black humour..a damp cloth did it .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Well thanks for the black humour..a damp cloth did it .

Good!

Is there a fault with the watch that’s caused this?

If you’re not sure I suggest you get it checked properly.

If the watch turns out to have no faults you have to look elsewhere for the cause of the problem and I don’t think you’ll need to look too far.