closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tudor teaser (again)

Can’t get past the hour hand.

Much prefer the North Flag I'm regretting selling mine.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I happened to be in Laing in Glasgow today at midday, looking at an Explorer. One of the assistants noticed I was wearing a North Flag so brought the new Ranger out to show me. Seems a decent watch for the money but I didn’t get any urge to buy it. Next to the Explorer it felt too big and out of proportion somehow. The lume seemed more “aged” than that on my Pelagos LHD.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice to see the snowflake hand and rivet bracelet haters still find fault.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    39mm but the only picture of it on someone is on a woman?

I thought that til I saw this on the Ranger page:

I like it and nice to see no rivets on the bracelet.

The only drawback for me is the size at 39mm with it being all dial.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Which part is not true? I could go on but I see no point, have a good day
    We're discussing whether the market prefers Sapphire or Acrylic, and in favour of Acrylic you reference two brands, Omega and Rolex, who make a grand total I believe of 1 model which isn't Sapphire between them (and that model for very specific historical reasons). How that's not a deafeningly clear signal of what the market wants is beyond me, hence I wasn't sure if your post was serious.

Had one set aside today but it’s not for me, so won’t be going to see it, I don’t hate it but it doesn’t do much for me and at 39mm I’ll only move it on.

Master
    I like it a lot. Nice clean design and very close to the original. I won't buy it because I'm unlikely to spend that much on a three hander and it's 39mm but that down to my parsimonious nature and slender wrist than any reflection on the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Nice to see it has the t fit clasp. Now let's have that on the 58 please!
    This

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    We're discussing whether the market prefers Sapphire or Acrylic, and in favour of Acrylic you reference two brands, Omega and Rolex, who make a grand total I believe of 1 model which isn't Sapphire between them (and that model for very specific historical reasons). How that's not a deafeningly clear signal of what the market wants is beyond me, hence I wasn't sure if your post was serious.
    Mainstream "buying from new" market is offered limited options, but on models where acrylic has been offered, they've become the "wanted" pieces. Moonwatch and PAM392 etc.

Thats not the only market though, the vintage market is alive and well where acrylic is still king of the hill.
    I suspect if heritage models were offered with acrylic or sapphire options then the deafeningly clear signal would not be a pro sapphire one.

I suspect that the mainstream market wont give a Tudor Ranger re-release a second glance.

Craftsman
    Just tried the bracelet version one on in my local store. It was an exhibition item so not for sale, however I really liked it. My daily wear is an IWC mk xv (38mm) it didn't wear any bigger than that. The bracelet feels nice and the extension mechanism was a nice surprise. The dial is big and very clean, very in keeping with the 90220 version.

I put my name down for one.........so maybe a christmas present!!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Had a play with both versions at the Bristol Tudor boutique (opened today) and Fraser Hart. The non-rivet T link bracelet is excellent, the watch looks oddly modern, but wears very nicely indeed.
    D
    Was also in the Bristol store. Lucked out as I didn’t know the Bristol boutique was opening today. I really liked it and decided to get one. I turned down an Explorer 1 a few weeks ago because it was a touch too small for me. I also prefer the printed dial of the vintage Explorers and Rangers. It also uses the same case as my BB58 blue so hoping I’ll be able to interchange the bracelet between the two. Seemed like a no brainier for me to grab one.

Will try and post some pics once work is out of the way.

The new boutique was excellent and the staff were brilliant, all seemed like genuine watch fans, especially considering they had to deal with a launch on opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely love it. Simple three hand perfection. Case pretty much identical to bb58, and size almost identical too. Diameter perfect tbh - Goldilocks sweet spot. One of the better reissues imho.

Personal taste of course but for me it is screaming to be put on leather so stuck a bb58 leather on it, and for me that’s the strap that’s staying on it

Lume is very good indeed and all plots are painted on dial
    And finally a few wrist shots to show the crystal and how it wears. Wrist is 6.6” for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Been invited down to have a look this pm.

Early impressions are , for me, not favourable. The indices are quite blocky, nothing like the original.

Looks almost exactly like the original to me

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Is it just me(I'm sure it is) or is the font used for the 6 and 9 kind of ugly? Look a bit weirdly squished.

It's me aswell. I probably wouldn't have noticed but now you've pointed them out it's obvious. Not good.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Looks almost exactly like the original to me
    Sorry, got to agree with t'others. Blockier and the hooky 9 and 6 aren't good

Master
    I wouldnt mind the little toy.
    Watch is too big on my stick wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Absolutely love it. Simple three hand perfection. Case pretty much identical to bb58, and size almost identical too. Diameter perfect tbh - Goldilocks sweet spot. One of the better reissues imho.

Personal taste of course but for me it is screaming to be put on leather so stuck a bb58 leather on it, and for me that’s the strap that’s staying on it

Lume is very good indeed and all plots are painted on dial
    And finally a few wrist shots to show the crystal and how it wears. Wrist is 6.6” for reference.

Looks great rusty, will be picking one up in the morning have a spare leather off a BB58 and will even copy you on that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if that bracelet would fit a BB58?

Master
    This is a very nice watch having tried one on today. I’m trying to get hold of one asap, hoping the AD will let me have the one they’ve got in.

No rivets on the bracelet, adjustable clasp, doesn’t wear big.

Winner for me. Well priced too.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    This is a very nice watch having tried one on today. I’m trying to get hold of one asap, hoping the AD will let me have the one they’ve got in.

No rivets on the bracelet, adjustable clasp, doesn’t wear big.

Winner for me. Well priced too.
    I like the t fit clasp and the rrp is good but from the pictures I don't think I'd choose this over a bb58. That said it could wow me in the flesh so will reserve final judgement until I've actually seen one in the flesh.

Master
    Fauxtina = hard pass for me

Journeyman
    Just put that bracelet on the BB58 already Tudor – the clasp is the only thing stopping me from buying one today!

Had to pass, definitely one for the Ranger fanboys and a great value premium field watch for those who enjoy that look.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I wonder if that bracelet would fit a BB58?
    If that bracket fits a 58 it would make the BB58 perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    Surely that's got to be on the cards once they've used up all the current bracelet stock. It would make the bb58 blue perfect imo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    I’m sure one of the early owners will be a 58 owner and all will be revealed.

Master
    The tudor ranger. More explorer than the rolex explorer
    :D

nice except the dial looks very ...childish.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    The tudor ranger. More explorer than the rolex explorer.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Mainstream "buying from new" market is offered limited options, but on models where acrylic has been offered, they've become the "wanted" pieces. Moonwatch and PAM392 etc.

Thats not the only market though, the vintage market is alive and well where acrylic is still king of the hill.
    I suspect if heritage models were offered with acrylic or sapphire options then the deafeningly clear signal would not be a pro sapphire one.

I suspect that the mainstream market wont give a Tudor Ranger re-release a second glance.
    Premium brands fit Sapphire because that's what the majority of customers want, end of story. Why on earth would they do it otherwise? Sorry but you both have taken a truly bizarre stance to claim the market wants acrylic when it's so blatantly not the case, and pointing at a handful of 1016's against the millions of watches that get sold every year is just absurd.

I'm by no means saying individuals can't have their own preferences. Of course vintage watches of a different era are going to reflect the norms of the time, but in 2022 the market demand for Sapphire is beyond reasonable doubt.

Master

Tudor teaser (again)

Premium brands fit Sapphire because that's what the majority of customers want, end of story. Why on earth would they do it otherwise? Sorry but you both have taken a truly bizarre stance to claim the market wants acrylic when it's so blatantly not the case, and pointing at a handful of 1016's against the millions of watches that get sold every year is just absurd.

I'm by no means saying individuals can't have their own preferences. Of course vintage watches of a different era are going to reflect the norms of the time, but in 2022 the market demand for Sapphire is beyond reasonable doubt.
    You are conflating two points. I would prefer this watch to have a domed acrylic and to be even more closely align with the original…but this doesn’t mean I prefer every modern watch to be acrylic, obviously that would be very absurd and bizarre as you put it.

Having said that, Tudor have done a good job overall, I like the domed sapphire which mimics the acrylic, initially looked like flat sapphire in leaked photos. Hopefully that clears things up for you, let’s not stress, overall a nice release from Tudor that would do very well.

I’ve been saying for years, ever since selling my Heritage Ranger, that Tudor are really missing a trick with that watch. Even more so after Rolex discontinued the 39mm Explorer. My wishes for the Ranger were always most importantly for it to have a bracelet with fitted end links, and to be shrunken in size to make the dial less of a dinner plate.

Bonuses were to get a more flush crown instead of the BB style tube, straight line text and of course a new movement - and they did all this too. The T-Fit clasp is the cherry on the cake. For me they couldn’t haven’t designed this watch better, it’s like they’ve read every post I’ve made about the watch! I was promising myself to steer off watches, haven’t bought one in a quite a while now but there’s no way I can’t but this. I doubt there’ll be the hype levels over this that there were over the BB58 and Pro, so hopefully will be able to pick one up fairly soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I’ve been saying for years, ever since selling my Heritage Ranger, that Tudor are really missing a trick with that watch. Even more so after Rolex discontinued the 39mm Explorer. My wishes for the Ranger were always most importantly for it to have a bracelet with fitted end links, and to be shrunken in size to make the dial less of a dinner plate.

Bonuses were to get a more flush crown instead of the BB style tube, straight line text and of course a new movement - and they did all this too. The T-Fit clasp is the cherry on the cake. For me they couldn’t haven’t designed this watch better, it’s like they’ve read every post I’ve made about the watch! I was promising myself to steer off watches, haven’t bought one in a quite a while now but there’s no way I can’t but this. I doubt there’ll be the hype levels over this that there were over the BB58 and Pro, so hopefully will be able to pick one up fairly soon.
    I really hope so, as I agree with everything you have said and really want one. I am waiting for my AD to tell me when I can have one. I have both explorers the 36 and 39 but could happily let both go and be content with the Ranger.

It’s not for me, I think 39mm is too large for the design (a la 39mm Explorer). Although that may be partly due to my slim wrist.

Small details don’t usually bother me, overly. But I cannot fathom that hour hand, it almost looks like they ran out of lume and therefore stopped half way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The more I see it the more I'm warming to it, but also the more I think it's similar to the smiths commando which is even better looking.

If you wanted a one watch collection: 3 hand, strap monster, good brand value etc it's hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    It’s not for me, I think 39mm is too large for the design (a la 39mm Explorer). Although that may be partly due to my slim wrist.

Small details don’t usually bother me, overly. But I cannot fathom that hour hand, it almost looks like they ran out of lume and therefore stopped half way.
    I’m the opposite. I hate hour hands that are almost same length as the minute hand - makes telling the time a pain if only having a glance. The arrow hand ensures if the hands are aligned you see it extend behind the minute hand too. Plus it’s exactly the same hand as the 1960 version

Or were you talking about the minute hand instead ?

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    You are conflating two points. I would prefer this watch to have a domed acrylic and to be even more closely align with the original…but this doesn’t mean I prefer every modern watch to be acrylic, obviously that would be very absurd and bizarre as you put it.

Having said that, Tudor have done a good job overall, I like the domed sapphire which mimics the acrylic, initially looked like flat sapphire in leaked photos. Hopefully that clears things up for you, let’s not stress, overall a nice release from Tudor that would do very well.
    I’m not conflating points, I’m sticking to the original discussion, which was a debate on whether they would sell more with Acrylic or Sapphire. The market is clear that it wants Sapphire. I have no qualms with you having a personal preference at all, but that wasn’t the topic of the discussion.

Master

Tudor teaser (again)

I’m not conflating points, I’m sticking to the original discussion, which was a debate on whether they would sell more with Acrylic or Sapphire. The market is clear that it wants Sapphire. I have no qualms with you having a personal preference at all, but that wasn’t the topic of the discussion.
    You made the point that acrylic will not sell for this watch which you argued was because most watches are sapphire, that is conflating. I’m merely saying I prefer this to be a domed acrylic to sapphire as a personal preference. I don’t really care what the market wants, if that makes sense?

Didn't Eddie settle this argument?
    Multiple users here requested an acryllic version of a Smiths watch (can't remember which), so it was made.
    And it only sold in very small numbers.

Love it

This is what the first Ranger re-issue should have been. I sort of love it and would be very tempted but I have just bought Crouchy's Serica - a totally different price range of course, but a very similar watch in many ways. There is always a little niggle though, I get the various viewpoints but for me I note that this version does not have the drilled lugs and I can see that this works better with the modern style bracelet. That is, if Tudor had one with the rivet style bracelet from the Black Bay 58 (perhaps the 'cheaper' option for them anyway?) then drilled lugs would have absolutely looked and felt right. BUT, if you are not going to go the whole retro re-siiue route then why have aged lume? This could have been a complete departure from the previous version by having the modern case and bracelet and keeping consistent with a modern lume too...

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post

Snap, my thoughts exactly, 39mm is too large for a field watch in my opinion, they look better at 36mm or under and the lume on the minute hand is strange.
    This one is not for me.

Master

Tudor teaser (again)

There’s one flipped to a UK dealer already, the buyer didn’t bond obviously

Master
    Jacob didn't bond either...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394156216084

How are these going over list? The bracelet version is available as a walk in at my local EJ

It is advertised over list, which is another thing entirely. Hopefully some of these people will get their fingers burned...

Whilst I do like the pictures, I know this isn't for me. I find printed dials a bit plain and unluxurious for a £2.5k watch. I appreciate that's an entirely subjective thing though!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    How are these going over list? The bracelet version is available as a walk in at my local EJ
    This!

Was in Beaverbrooks Trafford Centre this afternoon buying my wife’s birthday present and tried the bracelet version on and was told I could buy it. They have two and as they have to keep at least one in the window one was available to buy.

I love it! I would’ve worked out my man maths there and then to walk out with it but the colour choice of fauxtina is a little strong for my tastes. Something a little lighter and again, I’d have taken it. Everything else looked and felt great, perfect dimensions and a great bracelet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Fauxtina = hard pass for me
    Have to agree. One trend I will be very pleased to see the back of.