closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone in the UK sell something like for fixed bars?

Does anyone in the UK sell something like for fixed bars?

I'm thinking about ordering one of these for my CWC SBS: https://nickmankeydesigns.com/shop/t...tic-watch-band

It's $34 + VAT + shipping so a bit steep for something which I imagine is quite cheap to produce. That said it is a very interesting design and allows a closer fit without two layers of material from a typical NATO.

I tried the paratrooper elastic strap and found it comfortable, but it came loose but it might have just been a poor quality one?

Anything else to consider?

Does anyone on the forum ever organise group buys?

I don’t know about the UK but I just recently bought a ‘G-Series’ strap from The Watch Steward for my CWC RN diver and it works a treat: https://www.thewatchsteward.com/options.html

He’s based in the US but could still end up being less expensive than your other option.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I don’t know about the UK but I just recently bought a ‘G-Series’ strap from The Watch Steward for my CWC RN diver and it works a treat: https://www.thewatchsteward.com/options.html

He’s based in the US but could still end up being less expensive than your other option.
    Seems like a good option as the lead time on Nick Mankey strap is a crazy 8-10 weeks

Craftsman

Does anyone in the UK sell something like for fixed bars?

I like my SBS and RN Diver to be close to my wrist and find some nato’s just make them stand off my wrist a bit too much. The slimmest option I’ve found so far is a Phoenix nato with the extra bit of strap cut off. The Phoenix straps seem to be slightly thinner. I also find them a bit comfier than the CWC natos but not as hard wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I like my SBS and RN Diver to be close to my wrist and find some nato’s just make them stand off my wrist a bit too much. The slimmest option I’ve found so far is a Phoenix nato with the extra bit of strap cut off. The Phoenix straps seem to be slightly thinner. I also find them a bit comfier than the CWC natos but not as hard wearing.

I might give one a go and a single pass nato, as both the watch steward and nick mankey have a 10+ week lead time :/

Can't go wrong with a Phoenix NATO. However, based on experience you won't be completely happy until you've tried what you consider to be the best option. You gotta pay to play! I'd get the strap ordered and go for a CWC single-pass in the meantime (excellent quality).

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collect...39853459275830

Watchsteward elastic straps are superb. I wasn't aware they were making the G for fixed lugs. That's a winner for me.

As for Phoenix straps lifting the watch too far off the wrist, just wear it with the buckles under the wrist and a single pass under the head:

The strap shown in the OP looks very fiddly and bulky. Buy a single pass Nato with a sliding keeper and free yourself from the tyranny of folds and tucks! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The strap shown in the OP looks very fiddly and bulky. Buy a single pass Nato with a sliding keeper and free yourself from the tyranny of folds and tucks! ;-)
    I believe a member here is rather fond of Haveston canvas straps and undertakes a long term review on their wear and durability - I wonder who that could be?

Seriously, they would be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I believe a member here is rather fond of Haveston canvas straps and undertakes a long term review on their wear and durability - I wonder who that could be?

Seriously, they would be a good option.
    Now, you might very well think that, but of course... ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

I'm curious as to how this works with the floating keeper, as surely it slides and the extra bit comes loose? In my experience it seems to need two thicknesses of fabric to stop the strap being loose enough to free itself.

I cut the extra bit off a couple of straps the other day so have some spare rings to have a go with it.

I'm quite keen to try a Haveston canvas as read your other thread, but worry it'll make the watch sit too high. In your experience, do they take a while to wear in and settle round the watch/wrist? Missed the one that sold yesterday on SC in seconds...

If you're not a fan of folds and tucks look away now!

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    I'm curious as to how this works with the floating keeper, as surely it slides and the extra bit comes loose? In my experience it seems to need two thicknesses of fabric to stop the strap being loose enough to free itself.

I cut the extra bit off a couple of straps the other day so have some spare rings to have a go with it.

I'm quite keen to try a Haveston canvas as read your other thread, but worry it'll make the watch sit too high. In your experience, do they take a while to wear in and settle round the watch/wrist?
    The floating keeper is contained in a @50mm length of the strap, so when fastened there's actually 3 layers of strap in the length between the keepers and the friction stops the keeper moving. This is the same with both metal and canvas keepers, and also with Haveston nylon straps, of which I also have a few. So from the 12 o'clock springbar, under the watch head and around to the buckle there's a single layer of strap, then the buckle, then 3 layers to where the floating keeper is positioned, then 2 layers back to the 12 o'clock springbar. I always fold the very end and pinch it when putting these straps on, the resultant curve keeps the pointed end flat. I can't recall ever having the end become loose. With the usual Nato style, folded and tucked back under ( shudder! ;-) ), there are 4 layers of strap and a loop sticking out ( shudder again! ;-) ). Of course you can put the buckle just where you want it with this style of strap. The canvas wears in very quickly and becomes quite pliant to the extent it conforms tightly around the springbars and also doesn't feel that it makes the watch sit high, at least to my taste. I converted a standard nylon Nato to single pass, but of course the uncontained floating keeper is able to slide right off the strap when changing and it was never tight enough to contain the free end properly. There's a picture below to illustrate, I fasten it on the 8th hole rather than the 6th shown, so less overlap, and the perspective makes it look more bulky than when actually worn, when it all compresses.

F.T.F.A.

The floating keeper is contained in a @50mm length of the strap, so when fastened there's actually 3 layers of strap in the length between the keepers and the friction stops the keeper moving. This is the same with both metal and canvas keepers, and also with Haveston nylon straps, of which I also have a few. So from the 12 o'clock springbar, under the watch head and around to the buckle there's a single layer of strap, then the buckle, then 3 layers to where the floating keeper is positioned, then 2 layers back to the 12 o'clock springbar. I always fold the very end and pinch it when putting these straps on, the resultant curve keeps the pointed end flat. I can't recall ever having the end become loose. With the usual Nato style, folded and tucked back under ( shudder! ;-) ), there are 4 layers of strap and a loop sticking out ( shudder again! ;-) ). Of course you can put the buckle just where you want it with this style of strap. The canvas wears in very quickly and becomes quite pliant to the extent it conforms tightly around the springbars and also doesn't feel that it makes the watch sit high, at least to my taste. I converted a standard nylon Nato to single pass, but of course the uncontained floating keeper is able to slide right off the strap when changing and it was never tight enough to contain the free end properly. There's a picture below to illustrate, I fasten it on the 8th hole rather than the 6th shown, so less overlap, and the perspective makes it look more bulky than when actually worn, when it all compresses.

Ah I see, it's a keeper that's built into the strap and floats, rather than a totally free homemade type. That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying. I'm going to have to try one of these single pass canvas straps I think!

The Haveston canvas straps are a good option for the fixed lug CWC divers.

For anyone who’s interested, here’s the G strap for fixed lugs from The Watch Steward on my RN diver.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I decided to get two straps for it:

CWC SINGLE PASS RIBBED STRAP - CLOCKWORK ORANGE WITH BLACK / 20 MM

Nick Mankey "The Hook Strap" in black with black stitching and black hardware

Craftsman

For anyone who’s interested, here’s the G strap for fixed lugs from The Watch Steward on my RN diver.

How was the initial threading through the lugs? The folded-over end looks like it must be a significant squeeze to get it through CWC lug?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    How was the initial threading through the lugs? The folded-over end looks like it must be a significant squeeze to get it through CWC lug?
    On an SBS is was a tight squeeze, but no real issue. As the strap became worn it was easier to slide on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    On an SBS is was a tight squeeze, but no real issue. As the strap became worn it was easier to slide on and off.
    There's no way a Haveston canvas will go on my 2004 CWC RN quartz without damaging the tang hole stitching. Believe me, I've tried.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    It really wasn’t too bad getting the folded end though once the buckle had been removed. The strap compliments the watch by adding a little thickness on either side of the watch head but nothing underneath and no added bulk.

Congratulations to the OP for his purchase. Looking forward to seeing pictures once received.

It really wasn’t too bad getting the folded end though once the buckle had been removed. The strap compliments the watch by adding a little thickness on either side of the watch head but nothing underneath and no added bulk.

Congratulations to the OP for his purchase. Looking forward to seeing pictures once received.
    Will do!