closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Serica 4512 vs Smith Everest

Journeyman

Serica 4512 vs Smith Everest

Hi folks,
    I'm recently wondering, after having found Serica 4512, if Serica watches are any better in terms of quality then Smiths.
    Referring to case, dial, hands finish, movement accuracy and realiability etc.
    However do like my 2 Everests but if Serica is acknowledged as a "better" watch I'd replace them for a 4512.
    Let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks

Master
    As regards Serica, I really don’t understand why a manual wind watch has a screw down crown. I like manual wind watches, but I wouldn’t want one with a screw down crown.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    As regards Serica, I really don’t understand why a manual wind watch has a screw down crown. I like manual wind watches, but I wouldn’t want one with a screw down crown.
    yes it seems a fumbling, they might have overengineered it. but I've come to terms with that so doesn't bother anymore.

Craftsman
    I had vaguely remember hearing about Serica watches but never really looking into them, of that back of this thread I have taken a look at their website and I have to say, I do like the 4512 California dial and also the 5303 black dial.

Maybe a future purchase on the horizon, just need to decide which I prefer.....I'm leaning towards the 4512 Cali dial at the moment.

Journeyman

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    I had vaguely remember hearing about Serica watches but never really looking into them, of that back of this thread I have taken a look at their website and I have to say, I do like the 4512 California dial and also the 5303 black dial.

Maybe a future purchase on the horizon, just need to decide which I prefer.....I'm leaning towards the 4512 Cali dial at the moment.
    indeed an intersting watch. being said that case finish and bracelet punches above its price range.
    but I'm not sure about the movement (STP-11M or Soprod P24)... and the price is almost the double of a Smiths...would it be that good?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What I like more than anything else about Eddie's watches is that there is always a unity about them. While Eddie usually asks for feedback, there is always a clear vision and it always feels like he's really understood the watch and its context and then worked to produce something that embodies but also, in some way or another, improves upon the original

I've not held one, but looking at the Serica watches they all seem to be too busy with as many of the bits from the greatest hits as can be squeezed in. The quality looks good, but the watches seem to be trying to be everything at once. Now maybe that's a formula for success, but it doesn't work for me. It looks like a watch designed by a committee.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    +1 on this. I saw a really nice Serica on the sales forum very recently - I so nearly bought it until I realised it was a hand wound movement with a screw down crown. In my mind that would make the whole winding process a tad tedious with the added worry of me cross threading/wearing out the threads. Sadly not for me as I do like the look and dimensions.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    +1 on this. I saw a really nice Serica on the sales forum very recently - I so nearly bought it until I realised it was a hand wound movement with a screw down crown. In my mind that would make the whole winding process a tad tedious with the added worry of me cross threading/wearing out the threads. Sadly not for me as I do like the look and dimensions.
    that must not a big issue until you oversqueeze every time. at least I believe it but admit it's not a best combo at all.
    does someone know about the movement quality?

Quite frankly, if they could make the idiotic decision to put a screw-down crown on a manual winder then that doesn't inspire much confidence in the whole design process, does it?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Quite frankly, if they could make the idiotic decision to put a screw-down crown on a manual winder then that doesn't inspire much confidence in the whole design process, does it?
    Rolex, Tudor, Panerai and countless others have manufactured manual wind watches with screw-down crowns.

I have the Serica 4512 and love it - the screw-down crown isn't an issue and very smooth in operation. I also have the Timefactors Commando, and have owned the Everest. The 4512 and the Everest are very different watches, so I say get them both!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post
    Rolex, Tudor, Panerai and countless others have manufactured manual wind watches with screw-down crowns.

I have the Serica 4512 and love it - the screw-down crown isn't an issue and very smooth in operation. I also have the Timefactors Commando, and have owned the Everest. The 4512 and the Everest are very different watches, so I say get them both!

awesome that someone has experience in both. they're quite different for sure but can you compare finishing quality, solidness and movement quality somehow, please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post

Which they all replace (tube) during a very costly service every five years or so.

I do hope Serica still exists by then and /or are able to replace the tube and crown.

Manual wind and screw-down is nonsense, imho.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Well each to their own, but the combination of the manual wind and screw-down crown would by itself rule it out for me. It's not even as though it has a long power reserve - you're going to need to wind it manually each and every day.

Another oddity (again, just my personal opinion for what little it's worth) is on the one hand to give it a screw-down crown in an attempt to provide go-anywhere resilience with a depth rating of 200m, and on the other to put it on a bonklip bracelet which is comfortable, with a vintage vibe, but can hardly be described as tough or resilient can it? I wouldn't want to incur the wrath of the many bonklip fans but the intrinsic design of a bonklip surely means it's on the flimsy side of adequate for actual use in diving etc.

Not entirely sure why we're discussing this on the Timefactors forum btw. Strictly speaking it should be on Watch Talk where the OP would have the benefit of a wider group of people who have experience of Serica watches. Doesn't really matter I suppose.
    Last edited by TF23; 4th July 2022 at 12:20.