closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pleasant surprise on my new CWC SBS

Pleasant surprise on my new CWC SBS

So my new (to me) CWC SBS arrived today, I opened the package, and I'll be honest, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling, but I thought I'd give it a chance and wear it for the next 10-12 hours.

It grew on me the more time I spent with it, to the point where I was happy with the purchase.

While inspecting the strap more closely, I realised it was dirty and had a grim odour about it... so I decided to take it off and hand wash it.

Upon inspecting the watch backplate after removing the NATO, I was surprised to discover that it was an RN-issued watch (0555)!

It's a 2021 model, so it's not very old, but it's still an exciting turn of events for the day!

Part of me wants to flip it and make some cash to invest into maybe a Marathon TSAR... but another part of me wants to keep it as an interesting part of my collection (with a little story), and honestly, I don't imagine the TSAR is going to be substantially "better".

Based on eBay, I figure it's worth about £600-800; what would you do?
    Last edited by Kitsan; 2nd July 2022 at 02:49.

Craftsman
    Good find hopefully for you it's not one of these https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ches-eBay.html

Not wanting to burst your bubble but all SBS divers have a navy stock number on the reverse. Even civilian purchased ones.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...e-divers-watch

Unless the number falls in to the known range used in an MOD contract it’s a civilian watch and worth around £500 - 600.

But still a very nice, robust, good looking watch.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd July 2022 at 11:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to burst your bubble but all SBS divers have a navy stock number on the reverse. Even civilian purchased ones.

Unless the number falls in to the known range used in an MOD contract it’s a civilian watch and worth around £500 - 600.

I have the half brushed, half not version of the above with 0555 on the reverse, but have been told that is an RN issued one whilst as we all know 0555 denotes RM.

Ahhh, well i've send a message to CWC and Silvermans to check, i'll post here when/if they reply

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Ahhh, well i've send a message to CWC and Silvermans to check, i'll post here when/if they reply
    I don’t think Silvermans give out that information anymore.
    Did it come in a tin ?
    Does it have a warranty card ?
    What colour is the NATO ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Did it come in a tin ?
    Black NATO
    Warranty card
    Black box

The receipt says it was billed & shipped to 42 CDO Royal Marines in Bickleigh?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I have the half brushed, half not version of the above with 0555 on the reverse, but have been told that is an RN issued one whilst as we all know 0555 denotes RM.
    RN identifier was 0552 up to around 1993 or thereabouts & the RM used 0555. Post that date all RN watches are marked 0555 (the RM is part of the RN).

Black NATO
    Warranty card
    Black box

The receipt says it was billed & shipped to 42 CDO Royal Marines in Bickleigh?
    Interesting.
    All the issued ones I’ve seen have been on admiralty grey straps and don’t have warranty cards.
    Could you post a photo of the receipt please ?

Interesting.
    All the issued ones I’ve seen have been on admiralty grey straps and don’t have warranty cards.
    The receipt has a black NATO on it, so maybe the person to who it was issued requested it?

I'll post it up later after I've scanned it, i had better blank off bits too, so it cant be ripped off

Master
    I would have thought an issued watch wouldn’t have a receipt but a G1098 stores issue chit instead. Maybe bought by someone serving who wasn’t eligible to have one issued?

Edit: Or RN equivalent of G1098

Interesting.
    The last few batches did come on a black NATO with black hardware.

OP that’s good news if it is an issued watch. They are worth a bit more, not sure Silvermans confirm the issued batch serial numbers anymore after the glut of stolen watches last year.

OP that’s good news if it is an issued watch. They are worth a bit more, not sure Silvermans confirm the issued batch serial numbers anymore after the glut of stolen watches last year.
    It is a 2021 watch but I guess the receipt proves provenance as the dates match...etc?

I've taken most of the detail off in M$ Paint:

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I would have thought an issued watch wouldn’t have a receipt but a G1098 stores issue chit instead. Maybe bought by someone serving who wasn’t eligible to have one issued?

Edit: Or RN equivalent of G1098
    This seems like a possibility, an oddity for sure.

On the bit I've scrubbed off, it's got a serial number and "SUPPORT COY"?

Maybe he was in the Royal Engineers but then surely it would be billed to "24 Commando Royal Engineers" and not "42 CDO Royal Marines"?

What do you think it's worth if it is issued?

I think i'm going to keep it as it's grown on me a lot, but it'd be nice to know

Master
    This seems like a possibility, an oddity for sure.

On the bit I've scrubbed off, it's got a serial number and "SUPPORT COY"?

Maybe he was in the Royal Engineers but then surely it would be billed to "24 Commando Royal Engineers" and not "42 CDO Royal Marines"?
    42 CDO will have a Support Coy, usually, MG platoon, mortar platoon & anti tank platoon (or troop), assuming they are scaled comparably to an infantry battalion.
    I'd be suspicious of the fact that the buyer has paid extra for a broad arrow marking & an RM "Falklands" strap. These straps are lengths of old webbing straps, cut down for watches. They were nearly £30 because they have the date 1982 stamped on the webbing. I would expect an issue watch to have the broad arrow already in situ. My 2012, 0555 marked RN diver certainly does, along with the NSN & the individual number 0xx/12, certifying the number of the watch from the order placed in the 2012 contract year,

I'm finding it very difficult to reconcile that invoice with the watch being issued - is the MOD now paying full retail for these and why would it go straight to 42 Cdo and not through a supply chain? I also don't believe, like the previous poster, that the MOD would be paying for Silverman's ridiculously-priced (and arguably fraudulently-described) camp-bed straps - particularly when they are probably buying the same thing for a few pennies under a different NSN. I'm not sure what line 3 is actually supposed to mean but the mention of engraving makes me think that this is some sort of unit presentation watch or mess gift.

Edit: And to add a quote from a member of MWR who works (or used to work) on the MOD procurement side.

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    I'm sure that CWC do give the MOD a great deal. The last time I looked, which was a few years ago now, the CWC G10 was still issued alongside the Pulsar; the CWC was £17.50 and the Pulsar £10, at that time the CWC G10 was around £100 from Silvermans
    The MOD don't pay full retail.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 4th July 2022 at 18:52.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm finding it very difficult to reconcile that invoice with the watch being issued - is the MOD now paying full retail for these and why would it go straight to 42 Cdo and not through a supply chain? I also don't believe, like the previous poster, that the MOD would be paying for Silverman's ridiculously-priced (and arguably fraudulently-described) camp-bed straps - particularly when they are probably buying the same thing for a few pennies under a different NSN. I'm not sure what line 3 is actually supposed to mean but the mention of engraving makes me think that this is some sort of unit presentation watch or mess gift.

Edit: And to add a quote from a member of MWR who works (or used to work) on the MOD procurement side.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Maybe it was a retirement present or something like that, perhaps someone who served but wasn't in a position to be issued a watch, or maybe they lost it?

EDIT: Silvermans have gotten back to me, i've asked them to check the history. It'd be interesting to find out any details
    Last edited by Kitsan; 4th July 2022 at 19:13.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Did it come in a tin ?
    And the boathouse at Hereford?

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    And the boathouse at Hereford?
    or “Hearford” as Mr D puts it.