closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Pleasant surprise on my new CWC SBS

  1. #1

    Pleasant surprise on my new CWC SBS

    So my new (to me) CWC SBS arrived today, I opened the package, and I'll be honest, I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling, but I thought I'd give it a chance and wear it for the next 10-12 hours.

    It grew on me the more time I spent with it, to the point where I was happy with the purchase.

    While inspecting the strap more closely, I realised it was dirty and had a grim odour about it... so I decided to take it off and hand wash it.

    Upon inspecting the watch backplate after removing the NATO, I was surprised to discover that it was an RN-issued watch (0555)!

    It's a 2021 model, so it's not very old, but it's still an exciting turn of events for the day!

    Part of me wants to flip it and make some cash to invest into maybe a Marathon TSAR... but another part of me wants to keep it as an interesting part of my collection (with a little story), and honestly, I don't imagine the TSAR is going to be substantially "better".

    Based on eBay, I figure it's worth about £600-800; what would you do?
    Last edited by Kitsan; 2nd July 2022 at 02:49.

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    355
    Good find hopefully for you it's not one of these https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...ches-eBay.html

  3. #3
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,120
    Not wanting to burst your bubble but all SBS divers have a navy stock number on the reverse. Even civilian purchased ones.

    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...e-divers-watch

    Unless the number falls in to the known range used in an MOD contract it’s a civilian watch and worth around £500 - 600.

    But still a very nice, robust, good looking watch.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 2nd July 2022 at 11:21.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ' EXEMPLO DUCEMUS '
    Posts
    5,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to burst your bubble but all SBS divers have a navy stock number on the reverse. Even civilian purchased ones.

    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...e-divers-watch

    Unless the number falls in to the known range used in an MOD contract itís a civilian watch and worth around £500 - 600.

    But still a very nice, robust, good looking watch.

    I have the half brushed, half not version of the above with 0555 on the reverse, but have been told that is an RN issued one whilst as we all know 0555 denotes RM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not wanting to burst your bubble but all SBS divers have a navy stock number on the reverse. Even civilian purchased ones.

    https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...e-divers-watch

    Unless the number falls in to the known range used in an MOD contract itís a civilian watch and worth around £500 - 600.

    But still a very nice, robust, good looking watch.
    Ahhh, well i've send a message to CWC and Silvermans to check, i'll post here when/if they reply

  6. #6
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Ahhh, well i've send a message to CWC and Silvermans to check, i'll post here when/if they reply
    I donít think Silvermans give out that information anymore.
    Did it come in a tin ?
    Does it have a warranty card ?
    What colour is the NATO ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    I don’t think Silvermans give out that information anymore.
    Did it come in a tin ?
    Does it have a warranty card ?
    What colour is the NATO ?
    Black NATO
    Warranty card
    Black box

    The receipt says it was billed & shipped to 42 CDO Royal Marines in Bickleigh?

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I have the half brushed, half not version of the above with 0555 on the reverse, but have been told that is an RN issued one whilst as we all know 0555 denotes RM.
    RN identifier was 0552 up to around 1993 or thereabouts & the RM used 0555. Post that date all RN watches are marked 0555 (the RM is part of the RN).

  9. #9
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    Black NATO
    Warranty card
    Black box

    The receipt says it was billed & shipped to 42 CDO Royal Marines in Bickleigh?
    Interesting.
    All the issued ones Iíve seen have been on admiralty grey straps and donít have warranty cards.
    Could you post a photo of the receipt please ?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Interesting.
    All the issued ones Iíve seen have been on admiralty grey straps and donít have warranty cards.
    Could you post a photo of the receipt please ?
    The receipt has a black NATO on it, so maybe the person to who it was issued requested it?

    I'll post it up later after I've scanned it, i had better blank off bits too, so it cant be ripped off

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,178
    I would have thought an issued watch wouldnít have a receipt but a G1098 stores issue chit instead. Maybe bought by someone serving who wasnít eligible to have one issued?

    Edit: Or RN equivalent of G1098

  12. #12
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,120
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    Interesting.
    All the issued ones Iíve seen have been on admiralty grey straps and donít have warranty cards.
    Could you post a photo of the receipt please ?
    The last few batches did come on a black NATO with black hardware.

    OP thatís good news if it is an issued watch. They are worth a bit more, not sure Silvermans confirm the issued batch serial numbers anymore after the glut of stolen watches last year.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The last few batches did come on a black NATO with black hardware.

    OP thatís good news if it is an issued watch. They are worth a bit more, not sure Silvermans confirm the issued batch serial numbers anymore after the glut of stolen watches last year.
    It is a 2021 watch but I guess the receipt proves provenance as the dates match...etc?

    I've taken most of the detail off in M$ Paint:

    Capture.JPG

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    I would have thought an issued watch wouldnít have a receipt but a G1098 stores issue chit instead. Maybe bought by someone serving who wasnít eligible to have one issued?

    Edit: Or RN equivalent of G1098
    This seems like a possibility, an oddity for sure.

    On the bit I've scrubbed off, it's got a serial number and "SUPPORT COY"?

    Maybe he was in the Royal Engineers but then surely it would be billed to "24 Commando Royal Engineers" and not "42 CDO Royal Marines"?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The last few batches did come on a black NATO with black hardware.

    OP thatís good news if it is an issued watch. They are worth a bit more, not sure Silvermans confirm the issued batch serial numbers anymore after the glut of stolen watches last year.
    What do you think it's worth if it is issued?

    I think i'm going to keep it as it's grown on me a lot, but it'd be nice to know

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    1,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    This seems like a possibility, an oddity for sure.

    On the bit I've scrubbed off, it's got a serial number and "SUPPORT COY"?

    Maybe he was in the Royal Engineers but then surely it would be billed to "24 Commando Royal Engineers" and not "42 CDO Royal Marines"?
    42 CDO will have a Support Coy, usually, MG platoon, mortar platoon & anti tank platoon (or troop), assuming they are scaled comparably to an infantry battalion.
    I'd be suspicious of the fact that the buyer has paid extra for a broad arrow marking & an RM "Falklands" strap. These straps are lengths of old webbing straps, cut down for watches. They were nearly £30 because they have the date 1982 stamped on the webbing. I would expect an issue watch to have the broad arrow already in situ. My 2012, 0555 marked RN diver certainly does, along with the NSN & the individual number 0xx/12, certifying the number of the watch from the order placed in the 2012 contract year,

  17. #17
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    14,068
    I'm finding it very difficult to reconcile that invoice with the watch being issued - is the MOD now paying full retail for these and why would it go straight to 42 Cdo and not through a supply chain? I also don't believe, like the previous poster, that the MOD would be paying for Silverman's ridiculously-priced (and arguably fraudulently-described) camp-bed straps - particularly when they are probably buying the same thing for a few pennies under a different NSN. I'm not sure what line 3 is actually supposed to mean but the mention of engraving makes me think that this is some sort of unit presentation watch or mess gift.

    Edit: And to add a quote from a member of MWR who works (or used to work) on the MOD procurement side.


    Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    I'm sure that CWC do give the MOD a great deal. The last time I looked, which was a few years ago now, the CWC G10 was still issued alongside the Pulsar; the CWC was £17.50 and the Pulsar £10, at that time the CWC G10 was around £100 from Silvermans
    The MOD don't pay full retail.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 4th July 2022 at 18:52.
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  18. #18
    Spot on
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm finding it very difficult to reconcile that invoice with the watch being issued - is the MOD now paying full retail for these and why would it go straight to 42 Cdo and not through a supply chain? I also don't believe, like the previous poster, that the MOD would be paying for Silverman's ridiculously-priced (and arguably fraudulently-described) camp-bed straps - particularly when they are probably buying the same thing for a few pennies under a different NSN. I'm not sure what line 3 is actually supposed to mean but the mention of engraving makes me think that this is some sort of unit presentation watch or mess gift.

    Edit: And to add a quote from a member of MWR who works (or used to work) on the MOD procurement side.




    The MOD don't pay full retail.
    Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'm finding it very difficult to reconcile that invoice with the watch being issued - is the MOD now paying full retail for these and why would it go straight to 42 Cdo and not through a supply chain? I also don't believe, like the previous poster, that the MOD would be paying for Silverman's ridiculously-priced (and arguably fraudulently-described) camp-bed straps - particularly when they are probably buying the same thing for a few pennies under a different NSN. I'm not sure what line 3 is actually supposed to mean but the mention of engraving makes me think that this is some sort of unit presentation watch or mess gift.

    Edit: And to add a quote from a member of MWR who works (or used to work) on the MOD procurement side.




    The MOD don't pay full retail.
    Maybe it was a retirement present or something like that, perhaps someone who served but wasn't in a position to be issued a watch, or maybe they lost it?

    EDIT: Silvermans have gotten back to me, i've asked them to check the history. It'd be interesting to find out any details
    Last edited by Kitsan; 4th July 2022 at 19:13.

  20. #20
    Master RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wondering why people with no interest in watches seem to live on here?
    Posts
    7,646
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    I donít think Silvermans give out that information anymore.
    Did it come in a tin ?
    Does it have a warranty card ?
    What colour is the NATO ?
    And the boathouse at Hereford?

  21. #21
    Master John Wall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shropshire cuds.
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    And the boathouse at Hereford?
    or ďHearfordĒ as Mr D puts it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information