closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MM300 saphhire upgrade - anyone done it?

MM300 saphhire upgrade - anyone done it?

Just bought an SBDX001 to compare against the SLA021 and it has a nicer/more interesting bezel and dial but I'm not getting on with the reflection.

Has anyone sent theirs to be upgraded to saphhire and if so did you manage to get it done with an OEM saphhire or did it need to be aftermarket? A ballpark on costs would be great if possible, thanks.

Ordinarily I'd sell it but side by side with SLA021 I think I prefer it, reflection aside. Maybe going back for another SBDX017 is the answer?

Master
    Blog Entries

I had it on an 017, work completed by the watchbloke.

Master
    Have to agree the early version would look better with a satin or matt insert. You might have more liking for the 21 if you took it off that Seiko bracelet. The head links are horrible where they join the rest of the bracelet. Crafter B rubbers look nice and you can use the original clasp for on the fly adjustment.

I've ways worn MM300's on the rubber but I was giving the bracelet a go on SLA021. Back on the proper OEM rubber from the SBDX models now, not sure what they were thinking with the SLA strap.

Tried a CB before but the 12 o'clock side was a bit short for me.

The SBDX001 is definitely nicer. I wonder if the OEM saphhire from the SLA021 would fit. I also wonder if it's worth getting an SBDX seconds hand for the SLA. Hadn't noticed the SLA's was gold until now.

Do you know whether the SBDX001 has its original crystal or not (as many have had a crystal change)?

No idea, no record of any service history. Is the OEM crystal very reflective?

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I didn't find the OEM crystal too reflective.

OMG! You and your preoccupation with reflections!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    OMG! You and your preoccupation with reflections!
    Not willing to pay money to see my own face!

Gone to Onelasttime now but no doubt I'll have another at some point. Much more interesting watch and makes the SLA look a bit sterile in comparison.

Tempted now though to see if I can swap the seconds hand on the SLA. Why is it gold?!

Tempted now though to see if I can swap the seconds hand on the SLA. Why is it gold?!

It's just Seiko trying something different. It matches the 300m logo.

Seiko nailed it MM300 the first time! The addition of sapphire, ceramic, gold hands, different colours with sun burst patterns are just gilding the lilly IMO
    All are great, good looking watches but the SBDX001 is almost perfect (why the multitude of fonts used on the dial - why)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Seiko nailed it MM300 the first time! The addition of sapphire, ceramic, gold hands, different colours with sun burst patterns are just gilding the lilly IMO
    All are great, good looking watches but the SBDX001 is almost perfect (why the multitude of fonts used on the dial - why)?
    I agree, which is why I bought it from wileeeeeey

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I agree, which is why I bought it from wileeeeeey

Very nice:) are we going to see the 21 back on SC next week then Wileeeey ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Seiko certainly did nail it first time. It was the perfect coloured quirky hand applied lume, and the overall look was superb. I must have owned at least ten SBDX001's since 2000 including a first year with the now rare green AR coated crystal.

I did like the contrasting fonts on the dial.

I own a mm300 and always will. It's the perfect holiday watch too. I'd take one over any modern Sub or SeaDweller.
    Last edited by j111dja; 3rd July 2022 at 11:37.

Hard to beat a good sub. The 41 is near perfection.

That said I think I'll always have a MM300 in some form and I'm on my 4th at the minute.

There were some SBDX017s sold with saphhire for either the Swiss or German market I think.

I'm now back looking at the SBDX017 wondering if the old dial/bezel/seconds hand combined with diashield would be the best of both worlds.

Hard to beat a good sub. The 41 is near perfection.

That said I think I'll always have a MM300 in some form and I'm on my 4th at the minute.

There were some SBDX017s sold with saphhire for either the Swiss or German market I think.

I'm now back looking at the SBDX017 wondering if the old dial/bezel/seconds hand combined with diashield would be the best of both worlds.
    I would always choose an SBDX001 over any Diashield Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I would always choose an SBDX001 over any Diashield Seiko.
    MM300 in any iteration is the second best of modern Seikos after the SLA025

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    MM300 in any iteration is the second best of modern Seikos after the SLA025
    I do like the SLA025 but it really depends on whether you like a gilt dial or not and consider value for money. The SLA025 is a fantastic piece of kit. Would I buy one? Absolutely.

The sad thing is that the Chinese are making mm300 homage watches that are so well built for little money.
    Last edited by j111dja; 3rd July 2022 at 15:18.

Couldn't handle the gilt but I do keep wondering about the SLA039. I'm waiting for Seiko to release a normal without the guilt but I've been waiting quite a while and no sign yet.

Couldn't handle the gilt but I do keep wondering about the SLA039. I'm waiting for Seiko to release a normal without the guilt but I've been waiting quite a while and no sign yet.
    I owned an SLA039. It's a nice watch but it lacked something when compared to a mm300. It looks a bit bland for what it is IMHO. I'm guessing that I really didn't appreciate it enough and that's my fault.
    Last edited by j111dja; 16th November 2022 at 22:27.