closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Excited: Seiko SPB317 in the mail

Blog Entries

Excited: Seiko SPB317 in the mail

Seiko NL sent me an email telling me that the SPB317 I have on order, is in the mail. The xxx317 is the 21st century version of the 6105-8000. Word has (had) it that the watch would be on sale on July 8th. But as said, I received an 'it's in the mail!, it should be delivered tomorrow afternoon!' message today. Hopefully, Dutch Post doesn't screw up.

(Pic from Monochrome's website)

Craftsman
    Very nice!

Lovely, the pick of the bunch imo.

Master
    Very nice - enjoy!
    Will be really interested to hear your opinion of the watch once you’ve had it on your wrist.

Tempted by one of these

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great, probably the best option of a Seiko diver for the slimmer wrist.

Thieuster how are you getting on with it 9 months on?

D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Any update on how you find it?

I have a 317. What would you like to know?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I have a 317. What would you like to know?
    Generally what are your thoughts on it …

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Generally what are your thoughts on it …
    Sure.

It's quite shocking for a modern day Seiko. Please let me explain.

It's nicely put together. The bezel action is one of the best out there, and it aligns perfectly. It is a great looking watch. The case is slim for a 200m diver. It wears really well. Timekeeping is to within chronometer specifications. The hands align perfectly. Shocking isn't it? That's a first.

We're all sick of Seiko's QC issues and have been for years, but they got it all right on this occasion, and long may it continue.

What a fantastic diver it really it.

I'll add some photo's soon.

^ Good to hear, David. A shame that such basics are seen as extras for Seiko, but it's good they got there in the end (and in a sub-£1k model too). Maybe some of that improved accuracy and height diet will make their way into other models.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ Good to hear, David. A shame that such basics are seen as extras for Seiko, but it's good they got there in the end (and in a sub-£1k model too). Maybe some of that improved accuracy and height diet will make their way into other models.
    You are right Andrew.

Hopefully.

I have lost count on how many Seiko Turtles I have had in to fix QC issues in the past. Dozens of watches with misaligned hands and chapter rings. Seiko have at least got it right but it took them a while.

Here it is beside my 6105-8000 Redunae Retangula (that's a homage I built for myself) as a size comparison. The 317 is Seiko's homage to the 6105-8000.

Last edited by j111dja; 13th April 2023 at 13:25.

Thanks very much for your thoughts on the 317. It does appear very attractive for a number of reasons. I like the idea of one, especially when the MM300, Turtle or Arnie 2 might feel a little large.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

I like the 317 a lot - the only thing that puts me off is its timekeeping, or the tolerances Seiko states (something like +15 to -25 per day?).

Do you think you were just fortunate that your particular watch is accurate.....is this a theme with modern Seiko models (the accuracy bit)?

Sure.

It's quite shocking for a modern day Seiko. Please let me explain.

It's nicely put together. The bezel action is one of the best out there, and it aligns perfectly. It is a great looking watch. The case is slim for a 200m diver. It wears really well. Timekeeping is to within chronometer specifications. The hands align perfectly. Shocking isn't it? That's a first.

We're all sick of Seiko's QC issues and have been for years, but they got it all right on this occasion, and long may it continue.

What a fantastic diver it really it.

I'll add some photo's soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I like the 317 a lot - the only thing that puts me off is its timekeeping, or the tolerances Seiko states (something like +15 to -25 per day?).

Do you think you were just fortunate that your particular watch is accurate.....is this a theme with modern Seiko models (the accuracy bit)?
    Only time will tell but it's a huge improvement on the sub £1k watches they've been selling. It appears that they are taking a bit more time to regulate their watches.

Thanks a lot - that's encouraging to hear. I guess a watchmaker could regulate it to be more accurate anyway.

Only time will tell but it's a huge improvement on the sub £1k watches they've been selling. It appears that they are taking a bit more time to regulate their watches.

Craftsman
    It's a great looking watch, however the date window is neither here nor there so they could/should have left it off in my opinion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can’t help but think I’d prefer a quartz than a poor timekeeping auto at this price point.

Can’t help but think I’d prefer a quartz than a poor timekeeping auto at this price point.
    Thankfully mine is a great timekeeper, plus it was part of a trade. A great saving on new. What would your choice be then?

Well this thread has been very helpful, in that despite me really like the looks of the 317, I know it's probably going to wear too small on me. I can easily cope with an MM300 and a Turtle, and will stick with them. I also checked out a few shots on Instagram, the gents wearing it had much smaller wrists than mine - like this:

Someone has, in my view, ruined his...

So, close but no cigar. Nonetheless, they do look great.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thankfully mine is a great timekeeper, plus it was part of a trade. A great saving on new. What would your choice be then?
    Same as yours. Seems the time keeping is a bit of a lottery.

Inspired by this thread I've ordered a Rdunae 6105-8000 homage. I hear from a very reliable source that the build quality is superb and, as it has an NH35 auto movement, I expect timekeeping to be excellent.

Same as yours. Seems the time keeping is a bit of a lottery.
    Sadly, timekeeping is a bit of a lottery with many manufacturers, not just Seiko.

Seiko do deserve a bit of stick as they price watches fairly high for what they are (especially when compared to what is coming out of China. The Chinese are embarrassing Seiko at present). Regulating their watch has usually been an afterthought for Seiko. Saying all that, Seiko appear to have taken their time on the 317 and done things properly with this model (based on feedback and video reviews).
    Last edited by j111dja; 14th April 2023 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Inspired by this thread I've ordered a Rdunae 6105-8000 homage. I hear from a very reliable source that the build quality is superb and, as it has an NH35 auto movement, I expect timekeeping to be excellent.
    This man was impressed and he's a man in the know when it comes to Seiko's.

https://youtu.be/NkfSd1FuXVo

He was indeed ;)

This man was impressed and he's a man in the know when it comes to Seiko's.

https://youtu.be/NkfSd1FuXVo

I see Uncle Seiko is producing an oyster for the range.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I see Uncle Seiko is producing an oyster for the range.

It looks pretty good, even though I'm not a bracelet fan.

Love those watches the original and the reissue.

Another option is the steeldive 1977.

£125 from Amazon with next day delivery. Decent looking bracelet, 2 x rubber straps and about 15 spare spring bars

Everything lines up, seems within cosc so far, great lume.

Feels slightly beefier than the rdunae and 317 I had briefly (returned due to erratic timekeeping) but it’ll be ideal for work

I’d prefer an aluminium bezel insert rather than the lumed, polished ceramic but maybe I’ll try and find a good deal on a 317 (1st dibs on yours David if you ever want to move it in)

Master
    Didn’t you buy my Rdunae 6105-8000 off SC?

Arrived a few days ago and it’s really excellent. Everything lines up perfectly, timekeeping is excellent, lume is nuclear and the bezel action is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 7th May 2023 at 22:28.