Thread: Grand Seiko New Releases thread

Nice video. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Indeed!

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    And not only do we have that intriguing European special edition, we also have an Omiwatari in white, sporting an usual (for GS) bracelet. Sometimes it seems GS have more ideas in a week than other brands do in a year. I’m glad too see the Omiwatari with a white dial, this really had to happen. The icey pale blue was interesting but didn’t feel like my colour. Snow white (or should I say ice white, the glistening effect is different to the matte snowflake) with blued second hand and with no power reserve is an instant classic, but I’d rather see it on leather, I wonder if that’s an option?

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...teel-bracelet/

So the nine thousand dollar question, which is better? The European exclusive Karesansui dial, or the white Omiwatari?
    Last edited by Itsguy; 21st October 2022 at 09:20.

To create the dial effect I believe there is at least 6 coats of paint applied
    Quite an impressive process to get the layers that thin to show off the dial detail .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    So the nine thousand dollar question, which is better? The European exclusive Karesansui dial, or the white Omiwatari?
    The new SBGY027 looks really nice, but for me the white Omitawari. Really liked the blue, but like you the 'blue snow' felt a bit off. But the white version is gorgeous.

The new version is (almost literally!) a 'twist' on the SBGY003, both really nice looking watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    The new SBGY027 looks really nice, but for me the white Omitawari. Really liked the blue, but like you the 'blue snow' felt a bit off. But the white version is gorgeous.

The new version is (almost literally!) a 'twist' on the SBGY003, both really nice looking watches.
    I’d have to agree with you and at around 39mm it should wear perfectly for the office.

Not sure about the price point - is it par for the course ? Not overly familiar with GS and pricing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    I’d have to agree with you and at around 39mm it should wear perfectly for the office.

Not sure about the price point - is it par for the course ? Not overly familiar with GS and pricing
    For these hand-wind spring drive models, that seems to be the price point. Generally GS seems to be moving their pricing upward, which will be an alignment with other brands / market perception issue.

Intriguing thing on this white omitawari is the bracelet. I love GS and this case shape (and I loved the BOR bracelet on the SBGT241), but I can't seem to like this particular bracelet. I'd have the watch off and on a nice strap. But reading reviews, while a bit love/hate, most people do seem to really like the bracelet.

Certainly of the hand-wind spring drive models I've seen, this white omitawari is one of the nicest, up with the SBGY003, and SBGY009

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Intriguing thing on this white omitawari is the bracelet. I love GS and this case shape (and I loved the BOR bracelet on the SBGT241), but I can't seem to like this particular bracelet. I'd have the watch off and on a nice strap. But reading reviews, while a bit love/hate, most people do seem to really like the bracelet.
    I feel the same. I don't know exactly why, I just don't like the bracelet. Possibly just a little bit intricate/fussy

Master
    Some more on this European special edition: https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...7g-karesansui/

Only 100 and available at about £8k. Paris is mentioned, it’s unclear if it will be available in London.

This Karesansui is amazing!

Some more on this European special edition: https://www.fratellowatches.com/intr...7g-karesansui/

Only 100 and available at about £8k. Paris is mentioned, it’s unclear if it will be available in London.
    Apparently there were three available in London and they're all sold.

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post

I saw the Bond St special edition of this watch today and in person it’s quite something, much more subtle and refined than pictures suggest. The dial texture works a bit like a sunburst, showing up at some angles and playing with the light. You don’t see it over the whole dial, only parts of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post

Do you know if it has a screw in crown ?

Master
    I had a chance to try the only one of these currently in the country, and it may just be the best dial GS have ever made. In person it appears not white but a very subtle silver. With this they have surpassed the Snowflake I think, the power reserve is on the (beautiful, jewelled) back, it’s a perfect 38.5mm and thin with it. The only catch is that the bracelet is incredibly shiny, even with the trademark GS mirror polish only on every other row, and the rest brushed. The bracelet suits the watch in many ways, it wears brilliantly and the small links give it a supple, almost liquid quality, and probably make it easier to get a good fit too. But the result is somewhere between elegant vintage JLC and diamond bracelet. I’m not sure I could pull off something quite so dazzling, though I can imagine it looking good on a stony faced Yakuza from Tokyo Vice. Toned down on leather though, this is hands down my favourite GS. The question is if I could handle leaving an incredibly shiny bracelet I’ve paid for sitting in a draw, I find myself wanting the bracelet to be a perfect option too.

I'm sure one will be on SC soon enough

I also tried one on the other weekend and very nearly took it. Been having second thoughts and may act tomorrow.

Journeyman
    Grand Seiko SBGH311 and SBGR325

Fratello watches article on them

Master
    The SBGR325 looks lovely.

Master
    It does. Would make a lovely match for my SBGT241, would be interested to see one - not that I fancy buying right now!

Quote Originally Posted by al1991 View Post
    The SBGR325 looks lovely.
    Do you mean the 311? T(that's the ice white dial hi-beat). If so I agree. 13.x thick though!

These new releases look a little too similar to the Oyster Perpetual for my liking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 12th January 2023 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    These new releases look a little too similar to the Oyster Perpetual for my liking.

They are beginning to look a bit similar, a bit less confident of themselves perhaps. Shame when they’ve got some truly beautiful watches they could be building upon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    They are beginning to look a bit similar, a bit less confident of themselves perhaps. Shame when they’ve got some truly beautiful watches they could be building upon.
    I wouldn’t read too much into it - it’s one of their standard case shapes at the more conservative end of the collection, and has been for a long time. Being GS there will be new dials for that shape every now and then. There have been plenty of more distinctive releases recently, and that cloud dial is actually something completely new too.

I wouldn’t read too much into it - it’s one of their standard case shapes at the more conservative end of the collection, and has been for a long time. Being GS there will be new dials for that shape every now and then. There have been plenty of more distinctive releases recently, and that cloud dial is actually something completely new too.
    An entirely fair point.

You'll need deep pockets for this lake...

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...-9-collection/

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...-dawn-slga021/

Did the original Lake Suwa cost less? From memory it was £8700?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 26th January 2023 at 13:31.

You'll need deep pockets for this lake...

https://www.fratellowatches.com/the-...-9-collection/

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...-dawn-slga021/

Did the original Lake Suwa cost less? From memory it was £8700?
    That's one of the nicest dials I've seen from GS, and that's saying something. That colour blue is gorgeous and, contrary to some other nature inspired dials, it really does look like the surface of a lake to me. But indeed not cheap, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    That's one of the nicest dials I've seen from GS, and that's saying something. That colour blue is gorgeous and, contrary to some other nature inspired dials, it really does look like the surface of a lake to me. But indeed not cheap, unfortunately.
    Agree 100%, I much prefer this colour dial to the previous Lake Suwa. Capped seconds hand too. Movement is a joy. Priced beyond my means unfortunately.

Beautiful Grand Seiko blue! But why not Titanium

I was lucky to passing somewhere on my work travels that had a few shops on my way home and too my surprise they Grand Seiko on display, so I got to have a quick look and try on the Silver Birch and the Night Birch in Titanium.

Wow, is all I can say.
    Both were fantastic, I think if I had to make a quick decision to chose one on that experience it would be the night birch due to the titanium.

I have a pelagos and a white dial shogan so I love the material feel on the wrist, but on this Grand Seiko it was absolutely next level.

I have always been a big Seiko fan, would love one of these.

Tried a few of the Evolution 9 series on today, and was very impressed. They even looked decent on my annoyingly small wrists.

I do wonder whether the SLGA021 will be a bit too dark to appreciate the dial under anything but bright lighting.

Grand Seiko New Releases thread

This is the beauty of a proper GS blue. Almost black in most angles. Just wish it came in Titanium. I miss my old
    SBGA127 now
    Last edited by Toshk; 28th January 2023 at 00:14.

I'd take the SLGA021 in titanium, at half the RRP.

Can't be long before GS hike up the prices of the Snowflake and other older models. They are starting to look like proper bargains now.

Oh my...

Master
    Much want.

Master
    Sadly when a brand makes something just right, it has a way of becoming unobtainable, an opportunity for restricted supply and astronomical prices. Just like the Royal Oak ‘jumbo’ and the 40mm Overseas ‘ultra-thin’ in white gold, if it’s just right, you can’t have one. Having made a ‘just right’ dress watch, GS won’t let us have it without coughing up Patek Philippe prices. All the versions are lovely including this new black lacquer one, I just wish they’d let us have a standard stainless steel version for a standard price.

^^^ I've realised that the GS that I'm interested in now are much more expensive than the GS I was interested in a couple of years ago, and it's not just inflationary price rises. The Evolution 9 series is great but prices are harder to justify.

Master
    Agree with that. It wasn't that long ago GS were considered a bit of a bargain for what you got, and as was pointed out above that's still the case for watches like the Snowflake, or especially if buying in Japan. But prices are creeping up, and in the case of many new releases, leaping up. Interesting to see going from possibly underpriced to possibly overpriced in a relatively short space of time!

GS have just increased their prices, but not by much.

Price of the Snowflake has increased to £5800. I think it was £5500 before?

https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...ve-snowflake/#

Spring Drive SBGA375 increased from 4700 to 4950.

Mechanical GMT, Ref SBGM221 has increased from 4350 to 4550.

Quartz GMT, Ref SBGN003 increased from 2900 to 3100

Quartz Ref SBGP001 has increased from 2850 to 2950.

So that's a rise of £100 for their entry level models, £200 or £250 for most others and £300 for the Snowflake.

Could have been worse I suppose.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 4th February 2023 at 23:30.

Journeyman
    Hilariously large dimensions on the new SBGC253

44.5mm in diameter and 16.8mm in height
    Source: https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...3-specs-price/

Thats hideous, I adore my SBGC247 but don't get that monstrosity

Not really new. Just a different lion mane dial colour. I used to have the original in 2019. Fantastic watch - GMT and Chrono in brilliant titanium!

I really like it. Problem for me is that it's huge and has far too much happening on the dial, especially for someone with ageing eyesight like me.

Yeah, that's, erm... different. Not my cuppa tea.

Master
    That ^^^ just looks like an exercise in fitting everything into the dial regardless of aesthetics. I still regret missing a SBGK005G on here a while back but otherwise I'm waiting for GS to recognise the need for a decent micro adjusting clasp.

I tried the SLGA021 at the Bond Street boutique yesterday and I'm smitten. The Evolution 9 case wears like a dream, really close to the wrist and comfortable. The dial is sublime, more subtle than some of the nature dials but the lake effect is stunning when it catches the right light. The shade of blue is very dark, almost black which makes it more versatile I think. Capped seconds hand. Brushed steel case would be great for every day wear, without worrying about scratching any Zaratsu. Love the 5 day spring drive movement. It is perfect for me really. Unfortunately I cannot afford it but I would buy it in a heartbeat with a heavy discount or a lottery windfall. Almost worth selling all my other pieces for.

Midnight Suwa
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 7th March 2023 at 09:49.

I tried the SLGA021 at the Bond Street boutique yesterday and I'm smitten. The Evolution 9 case wears like a dream, really close to the wrist and comfortable. The dial is sublime, more subtle than some of the nature dials but the lake effect is stunning when it catches the right light. The shade of blue is very dark, almost black which makes it more versatile I think. Capped seconds hand. Brushed steel case would be great for every day wear, without worrying about scratching any Zaratsu. Love the 5 day spring drive movement. It is perfect for me really. Unfortunately I cannot afford it but I would buy it in a heartbeat with a heavy discount or a lottery windfall. Almost worth selling all my other pieces for.

Midnight Suwa
    I had the same feeling when j tried on the case a year or two ago when it came out! But the price....

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Midnight Suwa
    Love the movement and dial. Case and (particularly) handset are too angular for me.

Master
    Midnight Suwa
    Oh my, that really is quite something. Must remember to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.