closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Tour commence

Le Tour commence

Tomorrow is Le Grand Depart from Copenhagen. Unless something happens to him, it is hard to see beyond Pog winning it unfortunately. But no Alaphillipe? It won’t quite be the same without him.

Either way, I can’t wait.

Master
    Great news Bravo , you wont have to wait , they depart today :)

🤣

So it is. Wahoo!

Blog Entries
    Yep, at 12 GMT+2.

Master
    Here you go guys , full details. Thats my 7 pm viewing sorted for July

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/tour-de-france-route

My wife has just read the French authorities have asked the Police to raid the Bahrain Victorious teams hotel!

When will Cycling lose its legacy of illegal substance use :(

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Yep, at 12 GMT+2.
    Erm...it's first start 16h00, last arrival 19h10 local time (CEST) for the ITT, according to www.letour.fr. That's 15h00 to 18h10 BST, I believe.

Blog Entries
    Is itv4 for the highlights still? Love Gary Imlach… he’s one of the best in the business

Master
    Its on, its Live (on ITV4) , its fast , its wet, its slippy!
    Last edited by higham5; 1st July 2022 at 15:54.

Journeyman
    Looking forward to seeing how Pidcock takes to the Tour

I miss Phil Liggett. Does anyone know please if we can get his NBC commentary in the UK?

Blog Entries
    Looking at the beautiful Danish landscape, listening to the former Flemish Tour participants doing the commentary. Summer has begun!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I miss Phil Liggett. Does anyone know please if we can get his NBC commentary in the UK?
    Yeah…. Thin Lizzy are ace

Must admit to never having had more than a passing interest in it.

But a flyer for Stage 9 has been put in my post box, and they'll cycle right by on Sunday! Just a shame I'll be away.

My parents are going to be in Morzine for the stage start (and rest day) on Mon Tue coming.

La Caravane du tour , that precedes each stage is something to behold

https://dai.ly/x8bff66

!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    My parents are going to be in Morzine for the stage start (and rest day) on Mon Tue coming.

La Caravane du tour , that precedes each stage is something to behold

https://dai.ly/x8bff66

!!
    We saw it in Yorkshire and the following year in France ( Pyrenees) The caravan in the UK was modest compared to the French version. I shall never forget sat waiting about 2 hrs before the riders when I was carpet bombed by Vittel water bottles. Thrown by enthusiastic riders of the first trailer. Thereafter we were thrown Haribo’s/ Sachets of Detergent/ Buffs/ Shopping bags/ keyrings/ coasters/ lanyards/ pencil erasers/ etc etc.

It was brilliant, we were by a French family who clearly knew the score as they split into two parties to cover both sides of the road. As a result we could exchange dishwasher sachets for buffs and shopping bags.

It certainly added to the splendour of the day.

Thought the caravan I saw in the UK was poor TBH. Probably my mistake to stand in the countryside with very few others and they only throw out loads of stuff when there’s a large spectator density.

Woah. What a couple of insane stages. The ultimate high (and then low) for Jumbo-Visma.

Unfortunately, however, it looks like the race is probably over already.

Today’s route is pretty scenic. Along the lake, which is looking turquoise today, and then a lovely gentle climb adjacent to the UNESCO area of local vineyards. Up to Bulle and then into the mountains, a lovely route on any sort of bike. I think it’s only when you see or know the mountain roads that it really puts into perspective just how superhuman these guys are.

Looking forward to seeing them go through the village after about 40km.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    We saw it in Yorkshire and the following year in France ( Pyrenees) The caravan in the UK was modest compared to the French version. I shall never forget sat waiting about 2 hrs before the riders when I was carpet bombed by Vittel water bottles. Thrown by enthusiastic riders of the first trailer. Thereafter we were thrown Haribo’s/ Sachets of Detergent/ Buffs/ Shopping bags/ keyrings/ coasters/ lanyards/ pencil erasers/ etc etc.

It was brilliant, we were by a French family who clearly knew the score as they split into two parties to cover both sides of the road. As a result we could exchange dishwasher sachets for buffs and shopping bags.

It certainly added to the splendour of the day.
    On the Parade des Pilotes at LeMans a few years ago I got a Vittel bottle right in the face, so I threw it back at the line of vehicles and hit nine times 24 hours racewinner Tom Kristensen on the head with it.

I'm not proud of it and I blame the French beer

What. A. Stage.

Wow. If you’ve not seen the highlights yet, watch them now. Incredible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    What. A. Stage.

Wow. If you’ve not seen the highlights yet, watch them now. Incredible.
    Whats technically described as a mullering !

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant stuff, well & truly worked over. Looking forward to tomorrow's stage!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Epic stage today, can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Another mountain stage tomorrow...and who know what will happen?

Blog Entries
    Alpe d’Huez today. ‘The Dutch Mountain’. With a Yellow Jersey & Dutch sponsor signs a sure trip for the leader.

The Dutch cyclists going uphill today love this mountain. All have asked their friends to cheer for them on the way up. And: “… I’m sure they’ll offer me a beer. Big chance I’ll except it!”

Alpe d’Huez has become more that just The Dutch Mountain. Many years ago, a team of volunteers started a money raising charity campagn to fight cancer: every first weekend of June, people are invited to cycle up and down A d’H as many times as possible to raise money against cancer. Attendees get a special page on the charity fund’s website and people can donate.

As an example, only last month, a local soccer team cycled uphill for money to support a team member who has cancer. And, our local community donated a hefty sum.

You can imagine that there are a lot of supporters on the hill during that event.

It adds to the idea of Alpe d’Huez being a Dutch Mountain.

Dutch mountain is an oxymoron
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s Dutch *corner* on bend 7 by the church. They have yet to claim the whole mountain.

Looks like a massive lash up to me, I’m amazed the racers get through without problems.

Blog Entries
    We’re so proud to call it The Dutch Mountain. It’s the only one we ‘have’.

Although, personally I’m afraid that some will use it as an excuse to act like they did during the F1 in Austria…

Honourable fathers-of-the-family who struggled uphill, pulling caravans or campervans. Sitting on a folding camping chair since last night, now battered by the sun, surrounded by beer and like-minded people… This has proven to be a toxic mix.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We’re so proud to call it The Dutch Mountain. It’s the only one we ‘have’.

Although, personally I’m afraid that some will use it as an excuse to act like they did during the F1 in Austria…

Honourable fathers-of-the-family who struggled uphill, pulling caravans or campervans. Sitting on a folding camping chair since last night, now battered by the sun, surrounded by beer and like-minded people… This has proven to be a toxic mix.
    It seems to have a become victim of its own success with the party becoming so popular it attracts all sorts, many with no interest in the race, and I fear only a matter of time before the party spills over and effects the race.

Looks completely chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It’s Dutch *corner* on bend 7 by the church. They have yet to claim the whole mountain.

Looks like a massive lash up to me, I’m amazed the racers get through without problems.
    This.

Although I think I'd rather stand at any other corner.

Was a cracking stage yesterday, unthinkable that a handful of riders could take minutes out pog. Like a group provoking an individual who seemed to think he had the upper hand till he didn't.

A great stage for a great race so far.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I think that Steven Rooks back in the late 80s or early 90s *) was the last Dutch winner on A d’H. For that, no reason to call it a Dutch Mountain. But as said, the cancer fighing charity climb has taken over the ‘magic’ of the mountain. (And for that purpose: that’s good!).

Like others wrote, I’m afraid that it will get out of control at a certain stage. Although before that, Dutch riders today look forward to climb the mountain.

We’ve seen more of this excessive behaviour since Covid. The argument is always: ‘… we couldn’t enjoy it during Covid’. I also hear it from former teaching colleagues that children in class are ‘wilder’ than before. Even a lady who’s a teacher in Ohio (we talked a month ago in Boston) confirmed the same thing.

Big festivals overhere have adapted and set up an extra layer of security people. Calling it ‘Sfeerbeheer’. Roughly translated into ‘Ambiance Coaches’. Their approach is to dampen ‘too spirited behaviour’ before it gets out of hand. First signals are positive.

*) It was Gert Jan Theunisse 33 yrs ago. He was the 8th Dutch pro-cyclist who won an A d'H etappe.
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th July 2022 at 12:19.

Blog Entries
    UK victory today? Pidcock? Froome?

Blog Entries
    I watched a quick Zoom interview between a Dutch TV presenter and Gert Jan Theunisse. Let's say that winning the A d'H. isn't good for your health. After the presenter's question: "How are you?" His answers was: "Thanks for asking but let's talk about cycling!" (He looks like he suffers from anorexia).

Dutch TV shows the previous Dutch successes. 8 victories on A d'H. In 1976, Dutch icon Joop Zoetemelk won on top of A d'H after... a 255 km etappe. These oldtimers tell great stories: the 255 km was a 'walking etappe' for the first 100 km. Too enthusiastic pro-cyclist with the idea of taking a big lead from the start, were 'asked' to pipe down or, if they didn't listen, a few well-placed punches(...) told them the 'mores' of the group. (Less cameras...).

Dutch presenters' money is on Pidcock today. The Flemish TV is less outspoken.
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th July 2022 at 14:55.

I'm enjoying today's stage. Two HC climbs done...and another to finish. That and the descending make for a good TV.

I'm still learning about Dutch Corner #7 (link) etc and I've just found two Facebook site: Beefeater Bend #11 and Irish Corner #10.

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that!

Those old vids I referred to: great footage of Peugeots: 604s and 504s. I had a 504 as a student. Totally rotted sills etc but oh man, how comfortable!

Today's stage: it's interesting to observe the standard road signs. The French government puts (normal road) signs up telling how steep a hill is.

Blog Entries
    Another great etappe!

Pidcock, 105km/ph off the Galibier!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Pidcock, 105km/ph off the Galibier!
    And Froome going with him. The final 10 km were decisive...and indicative of what might still be to come.

Having seen the suggestions, three days ago, that the result was already totally predictable, I'm looking forward to week three and whatever it will bring.

Master
    Blog Entries
    UK victory today? Pidcock? Froome?
    Not far off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Not far off!
    For those who didn't watch: spoiler below

I watched a documentary about Pidcock on Flemish TV a few years back. That's when I realized that he's a 'big name'. The things he does to become better, fitter are unbelievable. Surely, I prefer MdvP., but I think that Pidcock is the better all-round cyclist. He's always on my list for the victory when his name is on the contender's list.

Pidcock looked great today a few hours before they reached AdH. Officially, it's his first time in the Tour tackling the AdH. But not the first time he has climbed all the way during a race! He did it before during mountainbike events, at least during one single official race 3 yrs ago. He ended 8th or 9th then. So, only 20 (19?) y/old back then. He is by far the best for this stage of the race. I was counting on Froome to get inspired by Pidcock.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another great stage. One of the best tours in years and still a long way to go.

Piddocks descending skips are unreal. The way he was overtaking riders on corners was truly inspiring. You can certainly see where his mountain biking and cyclo cross skills come in.

Plus great to see Froome performing so well. I’d love to see him get a stage win and this result will certainly give him a mental boost.

Cheers, Shaun

Master
    Pidcock 22, World Cyclocross champion, Olympic mountain bike gold , Queen stage of the TDF. Not a bad palmares for a lad from Yorkshire. A rider to watch in the future with his multi bike skills and ability.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Pidcock 22, World Cyclocross champion, Olympic mountain bike gold , Queen stage of the TDF. Not a bad palmares for a lad from Yorkshire. A rider to watch in the future with his multi bike skills and ability.
    Absolutely. And as Dan Lloyd mentioned on Eurosport. Imagine him battling it out with the top GC on a stage with a tricky 15k descent to the finish.

That would be a bum clenching experience for the rest of them and something to behold.

Cheers, Shaun

Absolutely epic scenes on Thursday. Brilliant race this year

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Weird stage today. Lots of accidents. 3rd week, heat, concentration loss?

Great stage winners. Flemmish TV was chuffed.

🎩

(And what an incredible team performance from Jumbo-Visma. Such a ‘complete’ performance across the board, with ever depleting resources.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

(And what an incredible team performance from Jumbo-Visma. Such a ‘complete’ performance across the board, with ever depleting resources.)
    The way Wout VA goes off in the break, hoovers up all the green jersey points then floats back to hook up Vingergaard and turbo charge him up the last climb. He really is a beast of a rider. Ironically Jumbo Visma changed their kit colours so it didnt clash with the yellow jersey, they needn’t have bothered :).

Sorry to see Froomey sent home as this tour more than all the earlier events has added some weight to his recovery, even if he is 11 years old than the top guys.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Another great stage! And, the final 10kms was simply exciting.

Another great stage! And, the final 10kms was simply exciting.
    In that case, I'll wait until I'm back at home and can watch the highlights, rather tha than looking up the result and current standings as I was about to do. Thanks...