closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refinishing 9ct Gold

Refinishing 9ct Gold

Hi guys.

I am wanting to get my gold plain torque bangle polished by someone who knows what they are doing with a polishing wheel.

Can anyone recommend someone please? I can only assume someone who is capable of properly refinishing a gold watch would be more than capable of refinishing a plain 9ct gold torque bracelet.

I emailed watchworx in Bristol but they are only taking on Rolex watches at the moment as he is very busy.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How bad is the condition.

Try a jewelers rouge cloth which is impregnated with a red polishing compound for gold

A jewelers supply company carry these

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    How bad is the condition.

Try a jewelers rouge cloth which is impregnated with a red polishing compound for gold

A jewelers supply company carry these

DON
    It’s not too bad. Just lots of fine hairlines. I have seen how these guys bring gold watches back to new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    It’s not too bad. Just lots of fine hairlines. I have seen how these guys bring gold watches back to new condition.

Try the cloth first. Cheaper and re-useable. 9kt is a harder alloy than higher karats

Watches are different as a fluffy wheel can get into most of the nooks and crannies. Bracelet. Cloth should work fine

DON

Thanks Don. Il give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Try the cloth first. Cheaper and re-useable. 9kt is a harder alloy than higher karats

Watches are different as a fluffy wheel can get into most of the nooks and crannies. Bracelet. Cloth should work fine

DON
    So I ordered a cape cod cloth and WOW! Still waiting for the jewellers rouge polishing cloth to arrive. Do you know the differences of the two?

With the cape cod cloth I brought it back to a bright shiny gold!!! Is the jewellers rouge cloth more aggressive? Thanks.

Grand Master
    9ct gold will tarnish, it’s only 37.5% gold after all! The tarnish will make the gold appear darker and less shiny.

A light wipe with a rouge cloth every few weeks is all that’s required to remove this, don’t use anything more abrasive than a rouge cloth and be careful on watch cases not to rub too enthusiastically on sharp edges or they won't stay sharp.

Hairline scratches are a different matter, they can be removed easily (gold is a soft metal) using metal polish on a soft cloth. However, on a bracelet or bangle they’ll soon come back and you don’t want to be polishing too frequently. Treatment with the rouge cloth alone will make the scratches far less noticeable and it may be prudent to settle for that.

I’ve just given a 9ct watch case a light refinish and it hasn't been near a polishing wheel, metal polish on a buff stick followed by light polishing with a cloth is slower but ensures no excess metal is removed.

I’m not a fan of Cape Cod cloths, I find the cloth is too harsh and puts as many hairline scratches in as it removes. However, they’re very effective at removing tarnish and light scratches but they are quite abrasive, a rouge cloth us less abrasive and should be enough for more frequent use.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th July 2022 at 17:37.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    9ct gold will tarnish, it’s only 37.5% gold after all! The tarnish will make the gold appear darker and less shiny.

A light wipe with a rouge cloth every few weeks is all that’s required to remove this, don’t use anything more abrasive than a rouge cloth and be careful on watch cases not to rub too enthusiastically on sharp edges or they won't stay sharp.

Hairline scratches are a different matter, they can be removed easily (gold is a soft metal) using metal polish on a soft cloth. However, on a bracelet or bangle they’ll soon come back and you don’t want to be polishing too frequently. Treatment with the rouge cloth alone will make the scratches far less noticeable and it may be prudent to settle for that.

I’ve just given a 9ct watch case a light refinish and it hasn't been near a polishing wheel, metal polish on a buff stick followed by light polishing with a cloth is slower but ensures no excess metal is removed.

I’m not a fan of Cape Cod cloths, I find the cloth is too harsh and puts as many hairline scratches in as it removes. However, they’re very effective at removing tarnish and light scratches but they are quite abrasive, a rouge cloth us less abrasive and should be enough for more frequent use.
    Many thanks for the info. A good read and very informative. Appreciated.