closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Discretion may be the answer.

Master
    After wearing the Omega Constellation for 24 hours I have decided that I like it and the only downside is that it loses 35secs in a 24 hour period.

This is a Youtube of the same model. I think it looks dead normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4Aa7PVNjE

I will get it in for a service today and keep that as my daily beater when wearing short sleeves in dodgy Spain. Surprisingly, the town where the attempted theft happened is regarded as a very low crime rate area.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your comments and views.

A few years ago I was on holiday in Canada and after I got off the tour bus, someone commented on my Explorer I. I was really surprised as I considered it to be low key.

Craftsman
    Last time I went on holiday, I wore a microbrand watch costing less than £500. Felt a lot less worried that way.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

This brings a whole new meaning to holiday watch.

After close to two decades residing in the topic country, I'd have no issues wearing an expensive watch in Spain.

It is society as a whole and would say an old mobility restricted couple make an easy target. But OP, if they're going to rob you, they'll rob you wearing a G-Shock, so don't think it is the brand specifically - it is the target.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post

After close to two decades residing in the topic country, I'd have no issues wearing an expensive watch in Spain.

It is society as a whole and would say an old mobility restricted couple make an easy target. But OP, if they're going to rob you, they'll rob you wearing a G-Shock, so don't think it is the brand specifically - it is the target.
    I can see where you are coming from but I was wearing a rather loud Rolex GMT11 with a Jubilee bracelet. My wife was wearing a YG 31mm DJ which is less prominent.

This area is full of retired old men wearing gold watches and that is what draws them to the area.

The girl was talking to me in a quiet voice so as we were concentrating on what she was saying and never noticed the fact that she had her hand on the Rolex. My wife noticed it and whacked her with her walking stick. At this point the girl and her accomplice moved away very slowly and quietly without attracting any attention and the driver of their car also drove off slowly and they all went in different directions. They were gone in a matter of seconds. It was almost certainly a gang aiming for high end watches and they were very professional in what the were doing.

I used to spend a bit of time in North Africa, Egypt and a few other such countries way back when. I was in my twenties I used to use a g-shock for work back then anyway, a few of the other guys had Omega Seamasters and one guy had a old Rolex given to him by his dad.
    We were told to buy a cheap digital watch before we even left the UK, we pretty much all wore either low end Casio's, either Gshocks or FW91's. We were told even the high end (back then!) Suuntos and Pro-treks that were in vogue would attract the wrong kind of attention.

I have to admit I'm kind of surprised, I mean I know it makes sense thinking about it and I only wear a Sinn :) but I wouldn't really think twice about wearing a Omega, Rolex etc in France, Spain etc. Admittedly there's some areas of Paris, Marseilles and I'm sure other areas of Western European countries etc I'd be a bit careful in but on the whole it wouldn't really occur to me. Guess I'm lucky a U1 was my grail, no one's going to bother!
    Last edited by Jambo; 1st July 2022 at 10:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    All this chat about sleeves is nonsense. Having to wear a watch which you cover up and are afraid to look at in public is no way to live. Equally, there are no less recognisable rolex, regardless of strap or bracelet.

A neat feature of sleeves is that they can be rolled up by the used when required. I'd call it being aware of and responsive to your environment.

looks a great choice, as it also hugs the wrist closely, making it more difficult to snatch.
    You may have seen the number of threads about London and stolen watches: it's not dodgy Spain, it's just how things are at the moment and the harder the conditions get, the more you'll see that sort of crime.
    I would also avoid keeping your watches in your house there. I would not be surprised if you were "visited" while you're away. It comes with the territory: Show (even relative) wealth, and somebody will be tempted. It then becomes a balance between risk and potential profit.
    Sorry if it sound like a bad omen. The divide between the "have" and the "have not" is only growing everywhere and a wealthy senior is usually an easy target.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    All this chat about sleeves is nonsense. Having to wear a watch which you cover up and are afraid to look at in public is no way to live. Equally, there are no less recognisable rolex, regardless of strap or bracelet.
    Not so sure about that. I wear long sleeves all the time as I dont like short sleeves. Still wear watches quite happily!

Master
    Sorry to hear horror stories like yours OP, it certainly makes you think. Some have suggested wearing an Omega but I think they’re in the same category as Rolex. When you consider a new Planet Ocean is near £6k now, I’m guessing there’s a market for these too if stolen. It’s a real shame you have to consider these things when buying. Must admit it’s one of the reasons I sold my SubC was the thought of putting my family into a horrible situation, even in the UK, it really isn’t worth it over a watch. Don’t think I’d buy another Rolex for this very reason, again it’s a shame. Last few times I’ve been on holiday I’ve worn my Tuna (on rubber) and I only take one watch. I remember once being in Mexico talking to a guy in our hotel with a Rolex and he was sure the security guards at the hotel kept entering his room looking for his Deepsea. He was in his room once when they came in and made some lame excuse, they even went in his daughters room. Not even the room safe if safe either, that’s why I only take the one watch and wear it. I love watch spotting on holiday, it’s part of the hobby I suppose. I think the Tuna is a fantastic piece to take away btw and always enjoy seeing another in the wild.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    looks a great choice, as it also hugs the wrist closely, making it more difficult to snatch.
    You may have seen the number of threads about London and stolen watches: it's not dodgy Spain, it's just how things are at the moment and the harder the conditions get, the more you'll see that sort of crime.
    I would also avoid keeping your watches in your house there. I would not be surprised if you were "visited" while you're away. It comes with the territory: Show (even relative) wealth, and somebody will be tempted. It then becomes a balance between risk and potential profit.
    Sorry if it sound like a bad omen. The divide between the "have" and the "have not" is only growing everywhere and a wealthy senior is usually an easy target.
    I only take one watch with me when abroad or away from home because you are usually only insured for the watch you are wearing. Your other watches will only be covered if they are in an approved safe at your normal residence.

I was worried about being "visited" but there is no evidence of that happening in the locality but there is a chance it could happen and I acknowledge that. I even parked the car about half a kilometer from the house for a week or two but nothing happened.

I have sent the Omega off this morning for a service with strict instructions not to polish it. I want it to look worthless and that way I will feel safer wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    A neat feature of sleeves is that they can be rolled up by the used when required. I'd call it being aware of and responsive to your environment.
    Fair enough, I respect your point of view. I grew up in South America and learnt very early on that the only way of not getting robbed is not to have anything worth robbing. I remember news headlines of people being shot dead for their trainers. When I go back, I don’t take any designer clothes, mechanical watches etc. My version of being responsive to my environment is either not wear the thing that highlights me as a target or not go places with it which would put me at risk.

If I had to stop and roll down my sleeves when I went outside, holding on to the cuff with my fingertips for fear of my watch being spotted by potential muggers, and then breathe a sigh or relief and roll my sleeves back up when I’m in the safety of my home, I’d conclude it wasn’t worth the stress, I recognise others may feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Not so sure about that. I wear long sleeves all the time as I dont like short sleeves. Still wear watches quite happily!
    Sun’s out, guns out! It’s sleeveless vest or broke for me!

Master
    I plan to wear my FXD Pelagos when in Rhodes in August, I would not expect it to draw much attention from the thieving scrotes.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

I would not wear anything likely to make me a target for mugging anywhere that I don't know, let alone somewhere muggers are known to operate (e.g. Barcalona.)
    Value of the item aside, it is simply not worth the risk to my health. You never have any idea how violent these people are prepared to be. As much as I know that fighting back isn't sensible, I also know myself well enough to know that the red mist would descend and I'd take a swing regardless of how outmatched I was.

It's simply not worth it. I don't have any watches worth more than a couple of grand, but for holidays I always pick something worth less than a couple of hundred. I've plenty of good, fun watches in that price range to choose from.

There's really no hardship or shame in not painting a target on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I plan to wear my FXD Pelagos when in Rhodes in August, I would not expect it to draw much attention from the thieving scrotes.

I have worn several different Rolex models in Rhodes over the years no issues at all.

Master
    Fair enough, I respect your point of view. I grew up in South America and learnt very early on that the only way of not getting robbed is not to have anything worth robbing. I remember news headlines of people being shot dead for their trainers. When I go back, I don’t take any designer clothes, mechanical watches etc. My version of being responsive to my environment is either not wear the thing that highlights me as a target or not go places with it which would put me at risk.

If I had to stop and roll down my sleeves when I went outside, holding on to the cuff with my fingertips for fear of my watch being spotted by potential muggers, and then breathe a sigh or relief and roll my sleeves back up when I’m in the safety of my home, I’d conclude it wasn’t worth the stress, I recognise others may feel differently.
    I was being flippant of course, and your experience does sound on the more extreme end of the spectrum where I’d have to agree with everything you’ve said, but in most normal holiday / travel scenarios a little bit of healthy caution is no bad thing, without the need for outright paranoia. Even in London these days I won’t have my watch out on view when walking, on the tube etc - it’s not a question of being terrified, it’s just common sense based on the level of risk. If I were going somewhere much more dangerous (or impoverished, where wearing a luxury watch might be seen to be in poor taste) I would of course wear something more modest.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have worn several different Rolex models in Rhodes over the years no issues at all.
    And I've wandered down Las Ramblas several times & have not been pick pocketed.

…there are no less recognisable rolex, regardless of strap or bracelet.
    Au contrair Rodders - the Cellini appears to tick all the boxes, and is no doubt hard to fence

Both combined, surely. The lady would hardly have being fondling Mick's wrist trying to slip off a Casio.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Both combined, surely. The lady would hardly have being fondling Mick's wrist trying to slip off a Casio.
    They're not master criminals and will steal literally anything, so yes, if the kids need feeding, they'll rob a load of old crap.

It sure wasn't random, but I wouldn't say the OP was targeted because he was wearing a certain watch, other than last minute and their success on that occasion would have been a bumper day. Many are relieved of various cheap items, which also helps them to stay in a particular area, as many don't report the theft.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned, The idea that watch thieves can be duped with a lesser model is false. However imo all you have to do is move far enough down the ladder that the gain isn't worth it to them and relatively speaking someone else is a better target.

I'd be surprised if too many dress watches or even Seamasters are targeted in muggings even though they're worth a tidy sum - less sellable and/or for less money. Look at the Lost and Found thread - outside house burglaries, virtually every theft is of Rolex or extreme value items.

Discretion may be the answer.

As well as the rise in crime, I’m sure the social media buzz and perceived monetary value around high end watches has attracted more thieves to what must be a limited risk/high reward strategy. I used to wear a Rolex LV whilst getting drunk in and around London, and never thought twice about it. it was a £3k watch which at the time was worth about £3k used, and whilst a nice watch it wasn’t the holy grail rarity it apparently is now. At the time I was in my late 30’s/early 40’s, and built like a prop forward. Now I’m in my early 50’s, probably a bit slower reacting and if wearing the same watch - now worth multiples of £3k - and in the same pubs, 10 years older and wearing the same watch which is now worth a lot more money, I think a thief and his mates might be prepared to take me on. And I’d probably hand it over as I’m better insured now, with a slower temper and quite fancy seeing my 60’s! - I wear a cheap watch most of the time now tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not master criminals and will steal literally anything, so yes, if the kids need feeding, they'll rob a load of old crap.

It sure wasn't random, but I wouldn't say the OP was targeted because he was wearing a certain watch, other than last minute and their success on that occasion would have been a bumper day. Many are relieved of various cheap items, which also helps them to stay in a particular area, as many don't report the theft.
    I respectfully disagree. They have eyes and want to rob stuff that's movable and valuable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I work in central London regularly and don't wear any Roli, I always wear the smiths commando or the F91W.

I feel more relaxed and have a better time.

If I were looking for a discrete high end piece I'd go to a sub40mm grand Seiko or Globemaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I think the thieves will know watches and the oyster/jubilee bracelet is very recognisable.

It’s such a shame that these have become such a target but it is the way it is and so everyone has to take their own view on risk.

I have this for times where I don’t want to wear an expensive watch.

Similar approach.

Or this.

Throw in a G-Shock for the beach/pool and that's your holiday sorted, risk free.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd July 2022 at 07:50.

As an aside I picked up a Grand Seiko from the Boutique in Knightsbridge yesterday and they packed the box in a great big Grand Seiko labeled bag. As I walked away from the boutique, crossed the road and headed to the tube station next to the Mandarin Oriental I was definitely being tailed by 3 guys.

Now I'm a big guy, shaved head and not exactly what I'd assume to be an easy target but they were brazen and when I made a point to look back at them and stare they just looked back at me as if to say 'so what'. I ended up waiting at the entrance of the Mandarin Oriental where there were a bunch of doormen, security and just random guests and after a few minutes they guys headed off.

Surprised the boutiques don't give unbranded bags TBH

Reading some of the paranoia posted, it may be safer for most of you to sell your watches, hire a butler stay indoors indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As an aside I picked up a Grand Seiko from the Boutique in Knightsbridge yesterday and they packed the box in a great big Grand Seiko labeled bag. As I walked away from the boutique, crossed the road and headed to the tube station next to the Mandarin Oriental I was definitely being tailed by 3 guys.

Now I'm a big guy, shaved head and not exactly what I'd assume to be an easy target but they were brazen and when I made a point to look back at them and stare they just looked back at me as if to say 'so what'. I ended up waiting at the entrance of the Mandarin Oriental where there were a bunch of doormen, security and just random guests and after a few minutes they guys headed off.

Eyes needed in the back of your head for sure and glad it worked out okay Ryan, I guess they would have used a distract and snatch tactic rather than get into a physical situation as that draws too much attention.

Be interesting to walk around London dressed all dapper (plus stab vest) with a Rolex branded bag and a generic box inside, it would act like pheromone, after a quick stroll up Oxford Street or Knightsbridge the bag carrier would look like the pied piper with all and sundry tailing behind.

Yeah, it's nuts. There should at the very least be an option.

Master
    For the last expensive watch I bought, the AD offered me their branded bag or a black plastic one. I off course took the black plastic. And the watch into my pocket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    As well as the rise in crime,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there really a rise in crime? Looking at data from The Met robbery and theft are both down in London. You are also far more likely to be robbed in a deprived neighbourhood that you are on Bond St.

https://www.met.police.uk/sd/stats-a...tistics-21-22/

https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/da...e-deprivation/

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    ...the AD offered me their branded bag or a black plastic one. I off course took the black plastic.
    Hopefully without a 20p surcharge.

Master
    Blog Entries
    London crime rates are only down because of the lack of tourists and general numbers. Last Wednesday the jubilee line was maybe 30% at 8:50.

Last nice watch I bought in London it was offered in a Morrisons bag, went into my rucksack and I was wearing a Casio when I left. It's a sad world in that regard.

I noticed the effervescent Michael Blakey has stopped wearing any watch when out and about in Beverley Hills.

Craftsman
    Seiko SKX009

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Master
    Off on holiday soon and will take an old Seiko or TAG, waterproof, unaffected by lotion and, if someone wanted it I’d just hand it over, healthy me and a new watch from the insurance if I claimed, and a worry free break.

Master

Sun’s out, guns out! It’s sleeveless vest or broke for me!
    I almost had to take my jumper off for an hour last week it was so hot. lol

All this chat about sleeves is nonsense. Having to wear a watch which you cover up and are afraid to look at in public is no way to live.
    You're taking one extreme to another. I wear sleeves most of the time, including in hot weather. There are so many shirts available that are made from very light fabrics that are very easy to wear in warmer climes. If I choose to wear a nice watch then I'm doing it because I want to wear a nice watch, not because I want other people to see it. I'll have no problem checking out the time on occasion and it will be so discrete that no one will have a clue what I'm wearing. Those who wear a high end Rolex or similar with a t-shirt are either naive or simply want everyone else to know what they're wearing. For people that have grown up in a. rough neighbourhood they'll know exactly what I mean by that. For others, they'll spend the rest of their lives wondering why it's such a shame that they can't walk down every street with their Rolex on show. Nothing has changed, it's always been this way. To paraphrase Kevin Costner in the tv series Yellowstone, the one constant in life: If you own something worth having, someone’s gonna try and take it.

As an aside I picked up a Grand Seiko from the Boutique in Knightsbridge yesterday and they packed the box in a great big Grand Seiko labeled bag.

You could always just do a little bit of forward planning. Supermarket carrier bag, over the shoulder nondescript sports bag. There are lots of options where you could walk in to a boutique and walk out, with no perceptible change. In actual fact, if you mention something beforehand to the staff at the Grand Seiko boutique I'm sure that they'd be more than happy to put your new purchase inside a mass produced supermarket carrier bag.

if you think about it, every retail outlet has branded packaging and there's even a shop just down the road that sells far more expensive items than a Grand Seiko with their own branded carrier bags.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yeah, it's nuts. There should at the very least be an option.
    Just bring a backpack like an ordinary person or buy a bag for life or two from Tesco on the way down.

I've never walked out with a branded bag and never would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    You're taking one extreme to another. I wear sleeves most of the time, including in hot weather. There are so many shirts available that are made from very light fabrics that are very easy to wear in warmer climes. If I choose to wear a nice watch then I'm doing it because I want to wear a nice watch, not because I want other people to see it. I'll have no problem checking out the time on occasion and it will be so discrete that no one will have a clue what I'm wearing. Those who wear a high end Rolex or similar with a t-shirt are either naive or simply want everyone else to know what they're wearing. For people that have grown up in a. rough neighbourhood they'll know exactly what I mean by that. For others, they'll spend the rest of their lives wondering why it's such a shame that they can't walk down every street with their Rolex on show. Nothing has changed, it's always been this way. To paraphrase Kevin Costner in the tv series Yellowstone, the one constant in life: If you own something worth having, someone’s gonna try and take it.
    I will second that and know exactly what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Just bring a backpack like an ordinary person or buy a bag for life or two from Tesco on the way down.

I've never walked out with a branded bag and never would.
    Simple solution, easy.

I’ve stopped wearing my Rolex on public transport. If I’m driving somewhere I’ll wear it.

But since the value of them has rocketed and they’re so so popular on Instagram etc it’s now made me hugely paranoid.

I tend to wear an Apple Watch or Seiko turtle most of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I’ve stopped wearing my Rolex on public transport. If I’m driving somewhere I’ll wear it.

But since the value of them has rocketed and they’re so so popular on Instagram etc it’s now made me hugely paranoid.

I tend to wear an Apple Watch or Seiko turtle most of the time.
    I have stopped wearing my Sub for exactly the same reason irrespective of if I am driving or on public transport, my Explorers get an occasional wear. Makes me question whether they're even worth keeping if they can't be enjoyed with ease and peace of mind.

For me it's not paranoia, it's regularly hearing of violent theft and robberies of high value watches, which will only increase in all likelihood given the current climate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    May as well sell your fine watches if you don't wear outside the house? What about being robbed in your house or when you leave them in the house? ( sorry if this seems rude).
    Being robbed in house is less likely to happen.
    I enjoy my watches in house or ar moments like travel with a car to friend.

My point is if i leave to town or places with people I wear a watch that doesn’t botter me if i loose it.

Master
    Fresh from today; an attempt to rob a watch with pistol on his head at a full restaurant in Amsterdam. News is it is a Rolex. He failled. There is this group of thieves ‘Rolex gang’ in Amsterdam for years targetting Rolex and other expensive watches.

https://www.dumpert.nl/?selectedId=100034929_31e1915c

Master
    All this bag chat reminds me of the time a forum member turned up to a GTG with well over £100k of watches in an Aldi carrier bag. A treasured memory.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    All this bag chat reminds me of the time a forum member turned up to a GTG with well over £100k of watches in an Aldi carrier bag. A treasured memory.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app
    Was at a Time4apint GTG and one very mild mannered gentleman took out a gorgeous pocket watch in solid gold case from his pocket that he had personally restored and rebuilt, it turned out to be around 300 years old and was insured for almost 3/4M Having had a very enjoyable conversation with him I was more concerned about his home security as it was clear he had some fantastic items in his collection.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Makes me question whether they're even worth keeping if they can't be enjoyed with ease and peace of mind.

For me it's not paranoia, it's regularly hearing of violent theft and robberies of high value watches, which will only increase in all likelihood given the current climate.
    That's my thoughts thesedays. Turn the clock back 10 years, I was younger (early 50s), watch theft was almost unheard of, I had no qualms about wearing a Rolex Sub or Datejust anywhere and that includes being out on foot late at night alone. I never paid extra for specific watch insurance, my reasoning was that the watches were nigh-on impossible to find in the event of a burglary, I was v. unlikely to lose a watch whilst out, and I simply didn`t accept the risk of a watch being stolen from me whilst wearing it. I wore an Explorer 1 as a holiday watch in Spain, Goa, Turkey etc. although I was warned against wearing anything expensive in Kenya.

Fast forward to 2022, I`m 10 years older (64), still physically fit, but reluctantly accepting I`m falling into the 'easy target' age group. There's no way I`d feel happy wearing a recognisable watch such as a Sub or bimetal Datejust thesedays, especially if I had to wear long sleeves to cover the watch up. I dislike long sleeved shirts, always have, and I`m not going to change!

Perception of risk is subjective, possibly I`m perceiving the risk as disproportionately high compared to 2012, but I feel far more comfortable wearing some old Omega on a strap that won't register on the radar of the typical watch thief.

I`m sure a few of us can remember the Manchester GTGs from 6-7 years back, held in the back room of a Pub. Mike Wood turned up with a case full of vintage Rolex Subs and Daytonas, people brought all manner of nice watches with no thought to the risk element. Way too risky thesedays.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 4th July 2022 at 16:34.

It is quite a sad reflection of the times. On previous holidays I’d wear a 5 digit GMT and take a couple of other nice mechanical watches. No one bothered. Now I take an X-33 Skywalker (still a lovely watch though but under the radar) and a G-Shock.

Surely the flaunting of trinkets can't be cool however its viewed. Maybe watches are just a personal pleasure.

Wearing my 5711 all week, short sleeves, currently staying in student accommodation in Sheffield - not a single glance (that I've noticed), I feel quite relaxed. Much less risk up north imo.