closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wood burner being fitted today

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    The wood burners shown in this thread look v nice - but I thought they were hazardous to health even with proper flues .. Sure there was something in the press just the other day about them but I did not read it, just saw a headline.
    In what way?

Master
    Something to do with the particulates that wood burners give out/off..

here is a 2021 article;
    https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...health-experts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    It is a think of beauty and this was my 'ain't gonna work if this doesn't' purchase.

A total work of art & if the previously mentioned resonance was not there, I would have kept this for looks & watching it in action!
    As said, my wife confiscated my workshop's fan. There it's noisy (the stove acts as a loudspeaker???) but on the smaller stove in my wife's office, it's absolutely quiet.

We knocked our fireplace through and put a double sided multi fuel burner in. It's been on most of the time and we love it, so does the dog! Best decision we made.

There's a Vulcan (sterling engine) stove fan on eBay at the moment. BIN for £100.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    We knocked our fireplace through and put a double sided multi fuel burner in. It's been on most of the time and we love it, so does the dog! Best decision we made.
    As a hardcore woodburner user (we have three, a forth is to be installed next Summer), I can say I'm impressed with this set-up!! Btw, that bucket is cool!

For the people struggling to get the fire started without the downdraft and associated smoke, we had exactly the same issue and someone recommended a Looft Lighter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Looftlighte.../dp/B000WYY65Y) . I use it to warm the stove up first and then sometimes once I've lit the fire to really get it going.

Craftsman
    Something to do with the particulates that wood burners give out/off..

here is a 2021 article;
    https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...health-experts
    Yes. My wife wants ours out now. Shame, for the last few winters it’s been a nice toy. I don’t miss cleaning it though. I am sticking with underfloor heating and staring at a dead burner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob N View Post
    Yes. My wife wants ours out now. Shame, for the last few winters it’s been a nice toy. I don’t miss cleaning it though. I am sticking with underfloor heating and staring at a dead burner.
    Cleaning it? Quick hoover around it and you're done. I don't even bother taking the ash out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    For the people struggling to get the fire started without the downdraft and associated smoke, we had exactly the same issue and someone recommended a Looft Lighter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Looftlighte.../dp/B000WYY65Y) . I use it to warm the stove up first and then sometimes once I've lit the fire to really get it going.
    Greenfields Electric Fire Starters - 2000W Ignition Device for Charcoal Grill Heated Air with Built in Blower | BBQ Lighter Perfect for Stove, Grill and No Need for Gas or Lighter Fluid https://amzn.eu/d/48ieJdN

I use this for lighting my egg bbq. 1/3 of the price of the branded one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Cleaning it? Quick hoover around it and you're done. I don't even bother taking the ash out.
    Leaving some ash on the grate will aid lighting

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Leaving some ash on the grate will aid lighting
    Exactly.

Journeyman
    Tried cheap, tried silly priced ones. Not a fan to be honest. If you have a high space above the stove for all the heat to accumulate then they are good for moving the heat out from it, but not felt any benefit on our set up.

Our Contura has a textured surface, which makes the fans all vibrate slightly which drives me mad with the noise.

I love the look, but the outputs of air are so low the dream never really happens on spreading the heat.

I’ve tried cold air inputs, normal fans to both push and pull air in the attempt of spreading the heat wider than the lounge.

My sweep this year told me to stop trying as I’m wasting my time dreaming of heating a house on the fire. Shame as love the idea!
    That's great thanks for the info mate, maybe we'll just bail on the idea of getting one, heat spreads OK to be fair just always wondered how well they work

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

The wood burners shown in this thread look v nice - but I thought they were hazardous to health even with proper flues .. Sure there was something in the press just the other day about them but I did not read it, just saw a headline.

This would concern me greatly on many levels:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...e_iOSApp_Other
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Had to laugh at that. Environmental activist doesn’t realise that wood smoke is rather toxic.

Had this alight over Christmas, it gets through wood at a rate of knots

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Master

Wood burner being fitted today

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Thank you - I’d forgotten which member had my dream lounge area. I could recall the visual but not who had it. Stunning but pricey to heat / keep stocked with logs!

Thank you - I’d forgotten which member had my dream lounge area. I could recall the visual but not who had it. Stunning but pricey to heat / keep stocked with logs!
    Thanks, that’s very kind. After almost 3 years of living here the room is pretty much finished. I tend not to use that room much during the winter as this end is heated by a second oil fired boiler and with both running at the same time to keep the house at 19.5 degrees means I empty a 2,000 litre oil tank every 6 weeks.

Looks nice, but yes- a galleried landing is a big void to heat.

https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...nt-home-toxins

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...heating-report

I had no idea these were so polluting. We were considering getting one for the kitchen but definitely won’t now. I suspect they’ll be banned in the coming years, certainly in urban areas!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...nt-home-toxins

https://amp.theguardian.com/environm...heating-report

I had no idea these were so polluting. We were considering getting one for the kitchen but definitely won’t now. I suspect they’ll be banned in the coming years, certainly in urban areas!
    Me neither, the particulate...we did use one as our primary heat source in our first Spanish place and considered putting one in the new home but in the end cost, we have a tall chimney which would've needed 'sleeving' if that's the word and the happy surprise that the installed central heating system actually works very well indeed and the house came well insulated by local standards, saved us the additional cost/ exposure to harmful particulates, especially with a child...I will say it was fun to have for a few years but eventually the cleaning and faffing with the wood wore a bit thin.

I would imagine they'll have to be banned in built up/ urban areas, in due course.

Btw dunno may've been mentioned, I found pine cones make excellent fire lighters, good price too!
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th December 2022 at 12:47.

Blog Entries
    The first article by Monbiot: Looking at his bio online and and flicking through his Insta pics, I would be amazed that he would write something else than this.

Mind you, Green political parties here are in favor of 'bio mass' as fuel for the local power plants (Amsterdam). The wood pulp they use, isn't dried properly. I know this first hand; I've sold a lot of cut down spruce trees from my land to the contractor who delivers it to the bio mass plant. The logs have been in the rain for quite some times. The wood is cut into chips and dumped into the ovens. The remaining amount (99% to so) of wood comes for the Baltic states were forests are completely cut down for this hungry bio mass plant. And they call it 'green'.

Check this: https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/advice/biomass/ As said, I'm sure that the Dutch version of the plants for electricity do not use properly dried wood/wood chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Me neither, the particulate...we did use one as our primary heat source in our first Spanish place and considered putting one in the new home but in the end cost, we have a tall chimney which would've needed 'sleeving' if that's the word and the happy surprise that the installed central heating system actually works very well indeed and the house came well insulated by local standards, saved us the additional cost/ exposure to harmful particulates, especially with a child...I will say it was fun to have for a few years but eventually the cleaning and faffing with the wood wore a bit thin.

I would imagine they'll have to be banned in built up/ urban areas, in due course.

Btw dunno may've been mentioned, I found pine cones make excellent fire lighters.
    I puny they can ban the use of installed wood burners, just regulate new installations

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I puny they can ban the use of installed wood burners, just regulate new installations
    I dunno but I suspect they can do what they like tbh...see ECHR, Rwanda, changes to the laws around right to protest...re wood burners specifically the already installed I really dunno that there'd necessarily be a right still to use if they're shown to be horribly polluting/ bad for public health...look at fags frinstance despite the power/ wealth of big tobacco. But I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th December 2022 at 13:03.

There's an article here, in today's paper. (link below)

It makes for very sober reading - the statistics are quite concerning.

We love our wood-burner, but only use it very sparingly nowadays because of these concerns.

Season's greetings,
    Martyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nt-home-toxins

I dunno but I suspect they can do what they like tbh...see ECHR, Rwanda, changes to the laws around right to protest...re wood burners specifically the already installed I really dunno that there'd necessarily be a right still to use if they're shown to be horribly polluting/ bad for public health...look at fags frinstance despite the power/ wealth of big tobacco.
    They’ll do what they normally do, just whack a huge charge on everybody who wants to use one, like driving in to cities etc in an old Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    They’ll do what they normally do, just whack a huge charge on everybody who wants to use one, like driving in to cities etc in an old Merc.
    IF they did, would it be worth paying the premium to slowly poison yourself, remains the question...

Don't get me wrong a real fire is a thing of beauty, but with hindsight I'm not so sure it was worth it, especially with a young'un in the house.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th December 2022 at 13:10.

IF they did, would it be worth paying the premium to slowly poison yourself, remains the question...
    I could burn waste engine oil for free as i have almost 5000 ltrs at work now but the local council want 3k a year to do so, we don't bother as burning kero is way cheaper and i don't need some trumped up licence to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by martynw View Post
    There's an article here, in today's paper. (link below)

It makes for very sober reading - the statistics are quite concerning.

We love our wood-burner, but only use it very sparingly nowadays because of these concerns.

Season's greetings,
    Martyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nt-home-toxins
    Shocking, but not exactly new information. I don’t know why anybody would choose to install one now, tbh, especially in a family house.

I could burn waste engine oil for free as i have almost 5000 ltrs at work now but the local council want 3k a year to do so, we don't bother as burning kero is way cheaper and i don't need some trumped up licence to do so.
    As you say...But if you were in due course required to get a trumped up licence for your wood stove, would you pay so as to burn away? Just hypothetically.

As you say...But if you were in due course required to get a trumped up licence for your wood stove, would you pay so as to burn away? Just hypothetically.
    Depending on costs yeh i suppose so.

Depending on costs yeh i suppose so.
    The business with the toxins, particulates wouldn´t give you pause for thought?

Obviously everyone´s mileage varies of course and for clarity I did grow up in a home heated with only a coal- wood fed open fire until we had central heating installed, I would´ve been around 15- 16 then, so I´m not unused to a whiff or several of smoke...though we had more drafts too in those days, not like modern double glazed homes.

The business with the toxins, particulates wouldn´t give you pause for thought?

Obviously everyone´s mileage varies of course and for clarity I did grow up in a home heated with only a coal- wood fed open fire until we had central heating installed, I would´ve been around 15- 16 then, so I´m not unused to a whiff or several of smoke...though we had more drafts too in those days, not like modern double glazed homes.
    No not really, my house is powered exclusively by electricity, i have solar on the roof and in good weather heat my water virtually by that. This has been discussed before, I'm changing to an electric car as soon as it comes, i don't have gas…my carbon footprint at home is minimal. Im not about to feel guilty for chucking a few logs on the fire to take the chill off…i expect all other wood burners are the same. Sat here now and the house is just under 16 degrees, wouldn't dream of it being on now and will probably fire it up this evening for a few hours

No not really, my house is powered exclusively by electricity, i have solar on the roof and in good weather heat my water virtually by that. This has been discussed before, I'm changing to an electric car as soon as it comes, i don't have gas…my carbon footprint at home is minimal. Im not about to feel guilty for chucking a few logs on the fire to take the chill off…i expect all other wood burners are the same. Sat here now and the house is just under 16 degrees, wouldn't dream of it being on now and will probably fire it up this evening for a few hours
    Not really a ´guilt´ issue more a potential health one but I think we might be at cross purposes, so I´ll say, enjoy your fire this evening.

I thought the reason it is illegal to sell firewood with a moisture content of more than 20% in the UK was to reduce particulates and maintain chimney heat for efficient burning. The fire we purchased is one of the new breed of super efficient ones claiming 1.4 kg of dry wood per hour to achieve 5kw of clean heat, now we have learnt how to use it properly it goes seem to achieve this.
    Last edited by adrianw; 28th December 2022 at 14:58.

I thought the reason it is illegal to sell firewood with a moisture content of more than 20% in the UK was to reduce particulates and maintain chimney heat for efficient burning. The tire we purchased is one of the new breed of super efficient ones claiming 1.4 kg of dry wood per hour to achieve 5kw of clean heat, now we have learnt how to use it properly it goes seem to achieve this.
    Think if you only sell under 2 cubic meters you have to supply either seasoned or kiln dried under 20%, over these amounts you can supply wet wood for customers to season. Yeh burn wet wood and you use the energy to boil off the water and lose heat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

This article is part of a campaign that the Guardian have been running for a few years now.

For some reason, these articles only seem to appear in the Grauniad. 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    This article is part of a campaign that the Guardian have been running for a few years now.

For some reason, these articles only seem to appear in the Grauniad. 路*♂️
    Yes, just them

https://www.independent.co.uk/indepe...-b1776405.html
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...illion-a-year/
    https://www.standard.co.uk/optimist/...-a4345416.html
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ce-news-latest
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-chris-whitty/

Master
    Thanks, that’s very kind. After almost 3 years of living here the room is pretty much finished. I tend not to use that room much during the winter as this end is heated by a second oil fired boiler and with both running at the same time to keep the house at 19.5 degrees means I empty a 2,000 litre oil tank every 6 weeks.
    Fantastic job you’ve done there, making a big space homely isn’t always the easiest of things.

2,000 litres in 6 weeks makes my eyes water somewhat though. That’s a truly scary figure, jumpers all round!!

Master
    I'm not sure fantastic job and 2000 litres of oil in 6 weeks go together. Quite the opposite I'd say, unless you don't believe in climate change etc.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I'm not sure fantastic job and 2000 litres of oil in 6 weeks go together. Quite the opposite I'd say, unless you don't believe in climate change etc.
    Until a better option is available I’ll stick to oil and wood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Alright mood hoover!

Don't get me wrong a real fire is a thing of beauty, but with hindsight I'm not so sure it was worth it, especially with a young'un in the house.
    You can’t use open fires in London now for example. Wouldn’t be hard to add log burners to the restrictions. I have an open fire, have had it since about 1926…doesn’t mean i can use it (we do with smokeless logs occasionally but they’re rubbish).

Blog Entries
    I thought the reason it is illegal to sell firewood with a moisture content of more than 20% in the UK was to reduce particulates and maintain chimney heat for efficient burning. The fire we purchased is one of the new breed of super efficient ones claiming 1.4 kg of dry wood per hour to achieve 5kw of clean heat, now we have learnt how to use it properly it goes seem to achieve this.
    I have mentioned this fine piece of technology before on these pages. For once, a cheap Stihl product. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    SCAN 80. No glove needed for ours . Integrated handle. Kicks out some heat in our kitchen / dinning space 6-9kw nominal. External flu through the roof. Central heating has been on for 19hrs in total from September 1st.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    These look a good idea. Could they be used in the corner of a room and vented directly out of the wall, rather than up through the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I have mentioned this fine piece of technology before on these pages. For once, a cheap Stihl product. Recommended.

Exactly
    Be sensible and enjoy your Burner .....

Master

Wood burner being fitted today

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    These look a good idea. Could they be used in the corner of a room and vented directly out of the wall, rather than up through the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeap, they have a rear outlet for that exact reason. It’s a Scan 80 if you want to Google for info.

Master
    Blog Entries

What a beautiful room. Lucky you.

Be proud

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Exactly
    Be sensible and enjoy your Burner .....
    I find it weird people would burn wood not seasoned enough to burn properly.

I buy kiln dried for convenience. I recently tried to mess about with other options having seen the advertising.

Heat logs were attempt 1. Utter rubbish, look horrible in the fire, and don’t really last as long as I’d hoped for given the cost.

Night briquettes attempt 2. Aim was to keep a fire going when you don’t necessarily want the heat of more logs, but want the convenience to add another log when you want to increase the temperature again.

Jury is out here. They are meant for overnight burns, but I wanted them for during the day when I’m working and it’s chilly. Seems pretty good, if somewhat away from the overnight claim. I do lose flue temperature overtime and the glass gets a little dirty until you put another log on for a hot burn.

Much better than the heat logs. Think next order will be chunky 8” logs as the current ones are 4” and just burn too fast. A nice slow burning big log is a thing of beauty.

Yes very true , sure i said earlier if you can get Oak you will only need a couple a day they burn for ages, correct about the alternatives though all gimmicky and no solution