closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood burner being fitted today

Wood burner being fitted today

Over the last few years we have considered a modern efficient wood burner, we have an unused chimney right in the middle of the house, but could never justify it financially, we took the plunge and ordered this one a few months ago, https://www.stovax.com/stove-fire/st...udio-air-edge/

hopefully we will hardly use the gas central heating this winter and it will turn out to be a good idea.

We will still be heating water by gas.

Craftsman
    We are stacking the log store at the moment for the winter , hopefully reduce the oil we currently use

These log burners really do chuck out the heat

The problem is that fuel for your chainsaw will be unaffordable soon! ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I love my logburners and they make a real difference to the gas bill, but only because I don't have to pay for fuel; I get arb waste from tree surgeons and saw/split/season it myself. Lots of labour and 75% is split by hand with a good axe (Fiskars X27 is the best I've found). If I had to pay for wood I suspect the burners would be used waaaay more sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I love my logburners and they make a real difference to the gas bill, but only because I don't have to pay for fuel; I get arb waste from tree surgeons and saw/split/season it myself. Lots of labour and 75% is split by hand with a good axe (Fiskars X27 is the best I've found). If I had to pay for wood I suspect the burners would be used waaaay more sparingly.
    A concern I have is that it will make the ground floor too warm, it would seem oppressive to me, but my wife would think it's great.

When we visit my mum in winter, or spring, late summer and autumn, I can hardly breathe for the heat the wood burner chucks out. I usually end up sitting in the conservatory to escape.

Master
    Really depends on your lay out size of room and size of burner
    I’ve a 4kw and quite a small room- if I were to stoke it up and shut the lounge door it gets spotty hot in their but I usually have the door open and it’s nice

Wood Burner

I had a 5 Kw Peanut fitted 2 years ago and never looked back will be turning the gas central heating off this winter as I love sleeping in a cold bed, so downstairs will be toasty upstairs cold until the price of fuel goes down,I managed to collect all last winters logs for free bit of work but well worth it.

How long will it be till these things are banned?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    How long will it be till these things are banned?
    The new efficient ones, using the correct moisture content fuel wont be, I think the old ones already are, depending on where you live

https://www.love-logs.com/blogs/log-...open-fireplace

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    A concern I have is that it will make the ground floor too warm, it would seem oppressive to me, but my wife would think it's great.
    That will depend on what amount you burn and what type of fuel you use.

We've got two log burners and wouldn't be without them, nothing better for cheering up your home on a cold, wet day or evening.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Wouldn't be without one. We have a smaller one now but still provides great heat. As already said it's a cosy kind of heat.

Went from this...

To this...

And now have this..

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Filthy dirty smelly things. However, some people like filthy dirty smelly things!

Blog Entries
    We have 3 burners (living room; wife’s office; my barn) and with my own forest, We have enough wood to burn until the end of days. Last year we used 4 m3 of properly dried wood to keep us comfortable.

My wife has a 3 kw burner in her office and it’s hot as hell when I enter. The one in the living room is a 5kw and that’s good to keep it at a proper 20C during the winter.

Mind you, the number of kw is only relevant when you add the type of burner: a stand-alone generates heat easier than a built-in.

I use birch wood to start the fire (quick, big flames) and then add oak (slow-burning lots of heat).

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    We have 3 burners (living room; wife’s office; my barn) and with my own forest, We have enough wood to burn until the end of days. Last year we used 4 m3 of properly dried wood to keep us comfortable.

My wife has a 3 kw burner in her office and it’s hot as hell when I enter. The one in the living room is a 5kw and that’s good to keep it at a proper 20C during the winter.

Mind you, the number of kw is only relevant when you add the type of burner: a stand-alone generates heat easier than a built-in.

I use birch wood to start the fire (quick, big flames) and then add oak (slow-burning lots of heat).

We have a manly Hawthorne wood at the bottom of the garden, people have been telling for years it would make good fuel for a log burner, there are lots of dead bits and fallen branches.

Craftsman
    We made the mistake of fitting too large a log burner first time around , not only did it go through logs really quickly but we had to open the windows at times , we corrected it and fitted a much smaller one now

We had a fully mature sycamore taken down a few years back , I wont live long enough top get through all the logs

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    And now have this..

How much does something like that cost? Was the area in the chimney breast already there? We currently have a very old combination fireplace, similar to below, which while it looks lovely, we never really use it as it's a messy affair. Would like something like you have above. No idea how large or deep the cutout in the breast behind our current fire is though

https://www.ivettandreed.co.uk/bespo...on-fireplaces/

Master
    Here my little 4kw one
    It’s not dirty at all - always use well dried wood
    Burner by biglewie, on Flickr
    Looked like this when I bought the house
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Last edited by lewie; 30th June 2022 at 17:43.

Blog Entries
    We have a manly Hawthorne wood at the bottom of the garden, people have been telling for years it would make good fuel for a log burner, there are lots of dead bits and fallen branches.

First, I had to find the Dutch word for hawthorne... (meidoorn). That's good wood for the burner. It's important (any type of wood) that it's dry. 'Dry' as in: it had the chance to dry for at least two years. Invest in a Stihl humidimetre. For once a product by Stihl that's not eye-watering expensive. (Here in the Netherlands 12 euros).

And, what's been said about the Fisksar' axe: indeed! A wonderful product. Last Spring, I cut about 30 m3 of wood in seizable chunks (about 38cm each so that they fit in all our burners - even the smaller 3kw burner). I used the Fiskars for very heavy logs. The ones that are 40, 50 or even more cm in diameter. I chopped off parts of the outside of these big bulky logs, making them smaller (less cm diameter) so that they're easier to haul. I sold about half of the 30m3 and kept the other half for myself. I did the same last year.

For splitting 30m3 wood, I use a Lumag log splitter (the 400V electric version).

Had ours fitted a few weeks ago, had a log stored made by an old guy in the village out of reclaimed wood and installed that outside last night. My lad is a stainless steel fabricator and he rattled us up one of these for inside
    Looking forward to the cold nights now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    … and a burning fire makes a great Season’s Greetings card as well…

The Dovre 3 kw burner in my wife’s office

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    How much does something like that cost? Was the area in the chimney breast already there? We currently have a very old combination fireplace, similar to below, which while it looks lovely, we never really use it as it's a messy affair. Would like something like you have above. No idea how large or deep the cutout in the breast behind our current fire is though

https://www.ivettandreed.co.uk/bespo...on-fireplaces/
    It's a Parkray Aspect 5

https://www.hotprice.co.uk/parkray-a...RoCIbIQAvD_BwE

It was expensive but works brilliantly. We had an inset electric fire in there when we moved in, the opening and chimney were already there, but we had to have a flue fitted up there. Also it needed tidying up and register plate fitting. Obviously the fitting is a big add on to the price of the stove. Best to get an approved installer to give a quote.

The finished installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Clocks need setting! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Possibly set to various locations around the world 😀
    On the up side they’ll be right twice a day

Hate my one, just too many fumes with it. Maybe was set up not quite right

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Should be no fumes !

Blog Entries

Nice! Clean lines.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it could be an issue with the flue. I would get it checked out as can be dangerous.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like it could be an issue with the flue. I would get it checked out as can be dangerous.
    Agree i do not get any fumes and i also have the chimney swept every year
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    i have times where i wind them religiously, other times i loose the will, I have twelve in total so it's a bit of a chore

i too have a Stovax in my lounge. Its the smallest model as it does not require a fire brick in the room.
    It only gets lit for Christmas and New Year as the GSHP is running 24/7. It looks great and you have to strip to your pants after its been on for a while!
    Slowly burning through Birch logs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Had ours fitted a few weeks ago, had a log stored made by an old guy in the village out of reclaimed wood and installed that outside last night. My lad is a stainless steel fabricator and he rattled us up one of these for inside
    Looking forward to the cold nights now

That’s nice, got a link to it?

Did your lad knock up the pipe working or the complete kit?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    That’s nice, got a link to it?

Did your lad knock up the pipe working or the complete kit?
    No sorry, i should have explained. My son made the log store in the corner, the tall stainless frame, the fire and flue are stock.

Link to the model…….https://www.contura.eu/en-gb/stove-c...0-Style-_-4900
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 1st July 2022 at 22:22.

Are you warming the flue on a cold morning/night before lighting?

Master

We have two. One in the lounge (Morso) and this lovely corner Scan 80-1 which was fitted last year. It heats our kitchen and dinning area easily being 6w-9w.

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 1st July 2022 at 21:30.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Are you warming the flue on a cold morning/night before lighting?
    Indeed! That helps to accelerate the 'real' fire. What you use depends on the length of the flue. In our case(s) a few 'dots' of paper do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    We have two. One in the lounge (Morso) and this lovely corner Scan 80-1 which was fitted last year. It heats our kitchen and dinning area easily being 6w-9w.

Absolutely stunning, I miss my log burner so much. Everything about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Agree i do not get any fumes and i also have the chimney swept every year
    Yes, that's a must with a wood burner I think.

Blog Entries
    Do you own a house with a mechanic ventilation system? That will produce a low pressure system in the house, basically 'sucking' fumes from the burner into the house instead of through the flue. My neighbour experienced that when he started living in his state-of-the-art house with an AGA cooker!

Master

Looks great. When is the inaugural lighting?

I adore my contura 5kw log burner, it’s very efficient and when you look at the flu externally there is only a shimmer of heat and no foul smoke. I am lucky in knowing a few guys who fell trees on the side. But I like to burn Birch to pre-heat the flu to ensure a good draw, then Ash as a favourite or Oak as second choice. I use a moisture meter to check my wood is well seasoned and low enough moisture content. Even if it is a bit old fashioned and deemed to be dirty I consider I offset it a little with the solar and heat pumps, so elsewhere I am pretty green. Even running an EV car, but the log burner has to stay, it is that good. Oh, and the roasted chestnuts at Christmas or toasted marshmallows are great on it too. Or just keeping your mug of tea hot is great too.

Certainly can be dangerous. We had our log burner running the day after we had the chimney swept, all of a sudden the fire went out after a soot fall, bloody chimney sweep we thought.

The fire wasn’t actually out and was emitting carbon monoxide for the next six hours! This is how long it took until the alarm triggered two rooms away, we thought we were feeling a little poorly! Believe me you don’t want blood taking from your artery in your wrist it bloody hurts! We were both ok after a few hours on oxygen.

Lessons learnt are that you must have a CM meter in the same room as the burner, and you must sweep the chimney often!

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Certainly can be dangerous. We had our log burner running the day after we had the chimney swept, all of a sudden the fire went out after a soot fall, bloody chimney sweep we thought.

The fire wasn’t actually out and was emitting carbon monoxide for the next six hours! This is how long it took until the alarm triggered two rooms away, we thought we were feeling a little poorly! Believe me you don’t want blood taking from your artery in your wrist it bloody hurts! We were both ok after a few hours on oxygen.

Lessons learnt are that you must have a CM meter in the same room as the burner, and you must sweep the chimney often!

The installer went through the instructions carefully and left a co2 monitor, the chimney sweep left a document to prove it had been done and inspected, when we researched the installation we found out if we didn’t use a Hetas approved installer we have to use building control to check everything ,

Master
    TheCM must also be high in the room I believe and not in a recess

Having been around wood stoves for years and as a kid they can be temperamental buggers. You can have all kinds of issues from something as simple as not getting the flue hot enough to not making sure the kindling is well established before throwing on the fuel. I found on the one we use in Cornwall when we visit that if you don’t give the fire time to establish and create a nice grey ash on the first couple of logs it can easily overwhelm it when you put more in
    My wife normally crumples up a bit of paper throws on 2 sticks of kindling and expects to be warming her toes in 20 minutes… unless you’re really lucky that hardly happens. Knowing when to close the fire down is also key… too early generally sees it dying

Master
    Thermometer on the flue helps to inform you when to close the venting down as it is hot enough.

Would love one in my office but it won’t work location wise without a weird and ugly flu in a strange place externally.

Will have to work in the lounge when it cools down a bit. Another contura fan here.

Open the interior doors and the heat will radiate upwards. Also if your chimney is in the middle of the house, the stack will also radiate heat. You will be fine, but you might find yourself having the odd snooze in front of the fire after Sunday Lunch. Enjoy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The installer went through the instructions carefully and left a co2 monitor, the chimney sweep left a document to prove it had been done and inspected, when we researched the installation we found out if we didn’t use a Hetas approved installer we have to use building control to check everything ,
    Good to hear, a well installed and maintained burner is a lovely thing, enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Open the interior doors and the heat will radiate upwards. Also if your chimney is in the middle of the house, the stack will also radiate heat. You will be fine, but you might find yourself having the odd snooze in front of the fire after Sunday Lunch. Enjoy.
    I cannot get the heat to move from the room with the burner in to anywhere else. Tried fans, opening windows in the lounge to create a draft etc but nothing works. I get 1 very hot room and the rest of the house feels cold. Reminds me of being at my grandparents as a child!