closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Bmw m3 first drive opinions

  1. #1

    Bmw m3 first drive opinions

    Hi all.
    Took a new 22 plate m3 510 bhp for a test drive yesterday. About 45 mins
    WOW. I was very impressed refined when needed but brutal also. Wasnt so keen on the carbon bucket seats so won’t be speccing them
    The I drive system is fantastic and intuitive. Hk sound system good as well
    Build quality superb imho. Very very quick. Quicker than my Porsche gt4 718 pdk
    Looking forward to getting my m3 touring
    Last edited by lenlec; 30th June 2022 at 10:30.

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all.
    Took a new 22 plate m3 510 bhp for a test drive yesterday. About 45 mins
    WOW. I was very impressed refined when needed but brutal also. Wasnt so keen on the carbon bucket seats so wonít be speccing them
    The drive system is fantastic and intuitive. Hk sound system good as well
    Build quality superb imho. Very very quick. Quicker than my Porsche gt4 718 pdk
    Looking forward to getting my m3 touring
    Had my G82 since October and love it , was planning to buy the last gen F82 m4 but these are just so more planted and the tech is outstanding , was considering the G81 myself but some people are getting told 2024 for delivery , dunno if that is managing expectations or realistic, need to spend some more time with that ID8 as well since currently i prefer mine


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Had my G82 since October and love it , was planning to buy the last gen F82 m4 but these are just so more planted and the tech is outstanding , was considering the G81 myself but some people are getting told 2024 for delivery , dunno if that is managing expectations or realistic, need to spend some more time with that ID8 as well since currently i prefer mine

    Looks brilliant mate. Is yours the x drive ? Yes the new id8 in that new wrap around screen is intriguing
    Be nice to actually see it

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Looks brilliant mate. Is yours the x drive ? Yes the new id8 in that new wrap around screen is intriguing
    Be nice to actually see it
    Nope mine is the rwd version. The xdrive wasn't available when i ordered mine and changing the order would have lost me a lot of the savings I got with my deal as I got a very good discount that its just no longer offered

    Since October I haven't once wished for Xdrive but been glad for the rwd many times, that said the Xdrive is the more practical option if its your only car

    We didn't opt for the carbon buckets as I have a bit of a dodgy back making getting in and out more awkward but more importantly the wife found them really uncomfortable




    I had a little play with the ID8 on the new M50 but I generally prefer the HVAC controls to be physical and not in the screen, although I often use the voice assistant to change them when I'm driving

  5. #5
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,734
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.


  6. #6
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,753
    But just look at it! A thing of beauty.

    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.


  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all.
    Took a new 22 plate m3 510 bhp for a test drive yesterday. About 45 mins
    WOW. I was very impressed refined when needed but brutal also. Wasnt so keen on the carbon bucket seats so won’t be speccing them
    The I drive system is fantastic and intuitive. Hk sound system good as well
    Build quality superb imho. Very very quick. Quicker than my Porsche gt4 718 pdk
    Looking forward to getting my m3 touring
    Interesting, I’ve owned an X3MC (same engine I believe) and extensively test drove a 2020 M4C before buying a 4.0 Cayman. The M3/4C is a wicked bit of kit, lots of tech and pace, but lacks the engagement, noise, and feedback of a Cayman. Possibly quicker in a straight line, yes, but certainly not on a B road, or at least the sensation of pace. They sit in two different segments of the market IMHO.

    The M3/4 will be easier to live by some margin – if that’s what you’re after? What colour are you looking at?

    Plus you can cash in nicely on the Cayman!

    Nice problem to have!

  8. #8
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    13,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    But just look at it! A thing of beauty.
    Agreed, more isn't necessarily better. but I'm sure they're still enjoyable.

    The E46 remains my favourite, though - Even a Golf R is too fast to drive hard on the road, God knows how you'd ever use a fraction of the M3/4's performance.

    M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    Interesting, Iíve owned an X3MC (same engine I believe) and extensively test drove a 2020 M4C before buying a 4.0 Cayman. The M3/4C is a wicked bit of kit, lots of tech and pace, but lacks the engagement, noise, and feedback of a Cayman. Possibly quicker in a straight line, yes, but certainly not on a B road, or at least the sensation of pace. They sit in two different segments of the market IMHO.

    The M3/4 will be easier to live by some margin Ė if thatís what youíre after? What colour are you looking at?

    Plus you can cash in nicely on the Cayman!

    Nice problem to have!
    Initially Iíve chosen Brooklyn grey Iíve got a few months to amend my final spec though. They donít start building them till December

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.

    The front end has come a long way but not in a good way
    Shots of the new one tend to be from the back for a reason

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    1,906
    An M3 Touring is my dream car but unfortunately at £83k plus a further £12k for the ultimate pack it's way too far out of my budget. Maybe in a few years when petrol is £3 a litre :(

  12. #12
    Master RJM25R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wondering why people with no interest in watches seem to live on here?
    Posts
    7,648
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    An M3 Touring is my dream car but unfortunately at £83k plus a further £12k for the ultimate pack it's way too far out of my budget. Maybe in a few weeks when petrol is £3 per 100ml :(

    FTFY

  13. #13
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,452
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Initially Iíve chosen Brooklyn grey Iíve got a few months to amend my final spec though. They donít start building them till December
    What delivery are you being quoted, Lenlec, it must be well into 2023?

    We ordered an M3X with the ultimate pack in February from Park Lane with a substantial discount through the forces scheme (now suspended). Originally we were told October but it's now Q1 2023, which I am ok with. I know people who ordered a few weeks before me from PL and who got an allocation, so I believe the times being quoted because I just missed out on a 2022 allocation. The price is protected and we may get an LCI car so that would be a win for patience.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    What delivery are you being quoted, Lenlec, it must be well into 2023?

    We ordered an M3X with the ultimate pack in February from Park Lane with a substantial discount through the forces scheme (now suspended). Originally we were told October but it's now Q1 2023, which I am ok with. I know people who ordered a few weeks before me from PL and who got an allocation, so I believe the times being quoted because I just missed out on a 2022 allocation. The price is protected and we may get an LCI car so that would be a win for patience.
    Should be , I understand that the G80 LCI is due next month

  15. #15
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,452
    Next month is when they start building with the new screens and ID8, but the full LCI is early 2023, according to the forums.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.

    Oooof! Talk about stealing the show!

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    419
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.

    Real bmw's have 4 headlights everything else is nonsense

    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Next month is when they start building with the new screens and ID8, but the full LCI is early 2023, according to the forums.
    Yes the m3 touring has the new interior wrap around screen and stuff but not all the lci external updates.
    Iíve been told Iíll get mine December but probably Jan 2023.

  19. #19
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,452
    That's great for you, December is not too far away given the current supply issues.

  20. #20
    Journeyman DONGinsler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sounds like an awesome car, so much power and refinement, they have certainly come a long way from my early 1987 M3.

    I like the 87 more than the modern. Looks like it means business

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Yorkshire at the moment
    Posts
    3,282
    Real BMWs have a straight six normally aspirated engine... ...I'll get me coat!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Real bmw's have 4 headlights everything else is nonsense

    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information