closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steering wheel theft

Steering wheel theft

Hi all

I was woken up this morning at 03:05 to the sound of my car alarm. I saw two blokes with caps on trying to steal my car.

After charging outside to disturb the thieves, they took off. I looked at the damage and noticed my steering wheel had been stolen.

According to police, there is a huge surge in steering wheel theft as there is a global shortage of airbags, hence the steering wheels are being stolen and sold to garages who then fit them to cars that require new airbags.

The car also had a disklock on the wheel which made no difference.

I have heard of a potential remedy where you can replace the bolt under the steering column with a different type of bolt (eg a torx or some kind of unique bolt that thieves are unlikely to carry tools for eg size 7 Allen key).

Car is a bmw M6, apparently all BMWs are being targeted.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Did they remove the Disklok? I guess this doesn't stop the steering wheel from being stolen.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jeez. I won't sell my cars in future just sell the parts and probably double the price.
    We had a load of vans broke into not so long ago in the street. Basically cut the metal under the locks with what looks like a tin opener then peeled back the metal to get at the mechanism.
    So I suppose your going to struggle to get a steering wheel now?

Grand Master
    If you have a desirable car that'll attract the attention of thieves it makes sense to garage it thesedays. If a car has to stand out on the drive or roadside overnight that needs to be factored into the choice of vehicle, this was the case back in the early 90s when car theft was rife, it seems like we're back in the same position again. It's sad, but the only way to avoid this type of crime is to garage the car or own something that doesn't attract the wrong attention.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Jeez. I won't sell my cars in future just sell the parts and probably double the price.
    We had a load of vans broke into not so long ago in the street. Basically cut the metal under the locks with what looks like a tin opener then peeled back the metal to get at the mechanism.
    So I suppose your going to struggle to get a steering wheel now?
    Yes, apparently a backlog of months... not ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If you have a desirable car that'll attract the attention of thieves it makes sense to garage it thesedays. If a car has to stand out on the drive or roadside overnight that needs to be factored into the choice of vehicle, this was the case back in the early 90s when car theft was rife, it seems like we're back in the same position again. It's sad, but the only way to avoid this type of crime is to garage the car or own something that doesn't attract the wrong attention.
    I agree. The only bit of advice the police could offer was to sell my car and buy something less desirable or find a garage.

I have lived in denial of the reality that nice things attract negative attention. Once the car is repaired it is getting sold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I agree. The only bit of advice the police could offer was to sell my car and buy something less desirable or find a garage.

Or they could make sentences such that thieves wouldn’t take the risk, first offence - left hand, second offence - left foot? Etc.
    Why should people be denied nice things because of scum?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Or they could make sentences such that thieves wouldn’t take the risk, first offence - left hand, second offence - left foot? Etc.
    But think of all the benefits they would then be able to claim, they would be well off and never have to thieve or work again :(

I would never have imagined steering wheels got stole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I'm not saying it's right, but it's worthwhile advice considering the society we live in now.

I want to have nice things, but if that means constant worry then they become a chore, not a gift to own.

See if you can find some local scrotes to go and nick one for you

Craftsman
    Dont suppose its the same as the M3/M4 F80/82?, As I have one in my garage doing nothing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    But think of all the benefits they would then be able to claim, they would be well off and never have to thieve or work again :(

I imagine these folk are already claiming benefits, but as part of their sentence any/all benefits would be forfeit.

Craftsman
    Really sorry to hear this OP. it's a shame that you feel that you have to sell it but I totally understand and would probably be doing the same if I was in your position.
    I'm surprised that the disklock was inefective, as this was what was recommended in the past to prevent airbag theft, as apparantley you need access to the central nut to seperate the airbag from the wheel.
    Could they have removed the steering wheel with the disclock still on it I wonder. Was the disklock left behind in the car or had that been taken as well?
    I don't meant to pry, but I'm in the process of buying an M140i which will be parked on my drive overnight, I've got cameras and floodlights but they're no deterrent really and I'm really quite concerned now.
    I'm just wondering whether there is a removable boss kit or how feasible is it to remove the airbag from the car when its not being driven.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    Really sorry to hear this OP. it's a shame that you feel that you have to sell it but I totally understand and would probably be doing the same if I was in your position.
    I'm surprised that the disklock was inefective, as this was what was recommended in the past to prevent airbag theft, as apparantley you need access to the central nut to seperate the airbag from the wheel.
    Could they have removed the steering wheel with the disclock still on it I wonder. Was the disklock left behind in the car or had that been taken as well?
    I don't meant to pry, but I'm in the process of buying an M140i which will be parked on my drive overnight, I've got cameras and floodlights but they're no deterrent really and I'm really quite concerned now.
    I'm just wondering whether there is a removable boss kit or how feasible is it to remove the airbag from the car when its not being driven.
    R
    Hey, I'm not really sure. I'm certainly going to look into it so I will let you know what I discover.

For what it's worth, a ghost immobiliser and a Pandora alarm system may help

Surprised makers of high end cars don't make quick release steering wheels as they do in F1 cars.

Cut down on stolen steering wheels and thefts if no wheel to drive with.

Thieves would need to bring their own wheels with them. More if like keys. They made 4-5 different inserts

DON

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Surprised makers of high end cars don't make quick release steering wheels as they do in F1 cars.

Thieves would need to bring their own wheels with them. More if like keys. They made 4-5 different inserts

DON
    I remember these boss kits. You just pushed two buttons in either side and it would release the steering wheel.

I’m also surprised the Disklok didn’t do anything. They must have defeated it somehow to gain access to the airbag behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post

I’m also surprised the Disklok didn’t do anything. They must have defeated it somehow to gain access to the airbag behind it.
    Won't the Disklok just come off with the wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post

DON
    How about quick release catalytic converters, alloy wheels, Aerial s, bonnet ornaments, wing mirrors?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Won't the Disklok just come off with the wheel?
    You need to gain access to the main nut which holds the steering wheel to the boss. This nut is situated behind the airbag which in turn is covered by the Disklok so they must have ripped off the Disklok first.

Craftsman
    Carries the risk of triggering the igniter.
    I would have no sympathy

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    You need to gain access to the main nut which holds the steering wheel to the boss. This nut is situated behind the airbag which in turn is covered by the Disklok so they must have ripped off the Disklok first.
    Takes about 8 seconds to remove a disklok if you have the right tools and know what you are doing

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Takes about 8 seconds to remove a disklok if you have the right tools and know what you are doing
    Ok, are any of the alternatives better, the Stoplock pro elite for example?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    Ok, are any of the alternatives better, the Stoplock pro elite for example?
    No its still the best and I still use one as its a deterrent and you do need to have the know-how and tools but everything can be gotten around if you really want to

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

I had a front bumper complete with a pair of Lucas spot lights nicked off a Lanica Beta Coupe in 1982. Although never hear of steering wheel being stolen before.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Cost of living going up, not enough coppers available = more thefts, as walkerwek1958 says, if you don't have secure parking get a less attractive car, and no it's not fair - same applies to watches.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's worthwhile advice considering the society we live in now.

I want to have nice things, but if that means constant worry then they become a chore, not a gift to own.

This is why we can't have nice things...there's no such thing as society.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things...there's no such thing as society.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Steering wheel theft

Seems to be ramping up. I'd never heard of this before but just saw these two pictures this morning. Looks like just BMWs.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Seems to be ramping up. I'd never heard of this before but just saw these two pictures this morning. Looks like just BMWs.
    I remember RS4s suffering from seat theft as there was a flaw in the alarm system and you could get the seats out of the windows. This was causing cars to be written off so someone could put the seats in their diesel golf.

If it is always BMW then maybe there is a similar flaw in the alarm or the wheels are not available from BMW as it does seem an odd thing to take.

My RS4 I upgraded the alarm and used green loctite on the seat bolts plus filled the heads with sikkaflex.

Blog Entries
    ‘Less attractive’… Here, older Toyota Hybrids are raided for their catalytic converters + lambda sensors.

It’s a plague.

It may come as no surprise thar no-one here felt sorry for a guy who was crushed under a Toyota when he was busy stealing a c/converter.

The reason for nicking these parts has to do with the semi-conductor shortage. BMW and other brands cannot replace an airbag + electronics or a c/converter after its life-time or after a crash: the electronics are not in stock.

Hi all

I was woken up this morning at 03:05 to the sound of my car alarm. I saw two blokes with caps on trying to steal my car.

After charging outside to disturb the thieves, they took off. I looked at the damage and noticed my steering wheel had been stolen.

According to police, there is a huge surge in steering wheel theft as there is a global shortage of airbags, hence the steering wheels are being stolen and sold to garages who then fit them to cars that require new airbags.

The car also had a disklock on the wheel which made no difference.

I have heard of a potential remedy where you can replace the bolt under the steering column with a different type of bolt (eg a torx or some kind of unique bolt that thieves are unlikely to carry tools for eg size 7 Allen key).

Car is a bmw M6, apparently all BMWs are being targeted.

Just idle curiosity, have you had a replacement cost of the wheel quote yet?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries

I have lived in denial of the reality that nice things attract negative attention. Once the car is repaired it is getting sold.

You shouldn't have nice things to tempt the poor into stealing them obviously.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

After charging outside to disturb the thieves, they took off.
    Did you look somewhat like this?

^^ Yeh - we digress, but charging outside to confront scrotes steeling your wheel is possibly not the most sensible action.

Shout out of the window and have a call into plod on your mobile at same time.

Don’t get a fecking screwdriver stuck through your chest for no good reason.

(Hope you get sorted - I have a 2017 m-sport 5 series, probably same wheel as yours. Fingers crossed!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro