closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yacht-Master 40

Master

Yacht-Master 40

What do people prefer more? The latest blue or slate dial variants shown below (pics stolen from internet). I find the blue the crowd pleaser, but the slate is a bit different and cool. Honestly, forgetting function and history, they are better looking than the divers, more elegant definitely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Slate with blue accents is the only one I'd consider - kicking myself as I almost bought one back when they were unloved and cheap.

Blue dial.

The current grey ish dial Rolex watches do absolutely nothing for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

for me the grey it lends it some elegance

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    What do people prefer more? The latest blue or slate dial variants shown below (pics stolen from internet). I find the blue the crowd pleaser, but the slate is a bit different and cool. Honestly, forgetting function and history, they are better looking than the divers, more elegant definitely.

Red face

Both pretty ugly watches but that’s the Yachtmaster for you. The bezel only a mother could love…

Too blingy to be elegant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Too blingy to be elegant.
    Agreed.

I'm a great advocate of the blue dialled Yachtmaster. Love the dial, and its slender sleek shaped profile plus I think its the only sports model that suits the polished centre oyster bracelet. Its a very under the radar piece, even though it is VERY shiny. The red seconds hand and line of text are another very nice touch. I also like the way it divides opinion.

Last edited by paneristi372; 29th June 2022 at 08:50.

Master
    That blue dial is really nice, but there is just something about the slate which makes me prefer it.

Great as part of a collection, but for me just a little too shiny as an only watch.

Blog Entries
    I really like the blue but as good as it looks in photographs, I found it disappointing in real life.
    Mine lasted a week.

Craftsman
    I liked the slate as soon as I saw it and bought one. Also, not as common as the blue which is a plus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Someone at work had the blue dial and it’s a lovely looking watch in the flesh. It seems to wear quite small looking at it so would suit a smaller wrist.

I feel that the OP's personality should be making that decision.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    I like the blue. The slate seemed a bit boring when I tried one on recently.

Would be grey for me but I’m not a fan of the bezel either.

They do wear smaller than the other 40mm watches. I think the case shape is compared to the Daytona by some people.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a big fan of them having had one, but out of the two I prefer the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would be grey for me but I’m not a fan of the bezel either.

Yeah the bezels are the problem. They scratch easily and once they are scratched they look awful. And there are those huge numbers... the less said the better.

Anyway in the new titanium Yacht-Master they are changing the colour of the bezel to black.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Question

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Yeah the bezels are the problem. They scratch easily and once they are scratched they look awful. And there are those huge numbers... the less said the better.

Anyway in the new titanium Yacht-Master they are changing the colour of the bezel to black.

Are you referencing the Titanium bezel proto model made for Sir Ben Ainslie?

Your choice OP, you'll be the one wearing it.

Master

Yacht-Master 40

Thanks for responses, tried them on at the AD as they had them as exhibition pieces, instantly gravitated to the blue, but that pop of turquoise blue against the monochromatic slate dial is quite stealthy cool and subtle. The seed for the yachtmaster 40 was sown in my mind a number a few years ago when I saw the blue version on the London Tube, i remember thinking it was a bit flash, but also unexpectedly envious, a feeling I don’t get seeing most other Rolex sports watches these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Are you referencing the Titanium bezel proto model made for Sir Ben Ainslie?
    Yes. I believe it is a forthcoming model.

Blog Entries
    The blue is a stunner but I still prefer the red second hand, platinum dial version...

Although preferably without the rubbing on the platinum bezel. I understand that replacing the bezel at service is not cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The blue is a stunner but I still prefer the red second hand, platinum dial version...

Although preferably without the rubbing on the platinum bezel. I understand that replacing the bezel at service is not cheap.
    I find this one to be a mess to be honest, with the mixture of shiny polish combined with a grey flat dial, then over compensated with the harsh pop of red on writing and seconds hand. Odd ball and even more marmite design, but then so is the whole of the yacht master range, past and present!

Blog Entries
    Odd ball and even more marmite design, but then so is the whole of the yacht master range, past and present!
    Yup, very true!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I like them very much and the case for once hasn’t followed the bigger is better trend.

So i bought a brand new one, blue dial.

Much more unique than the ubiquitous sports sub and else.

Dial and red 2nd hand are stunning.

Blog Entries
    I think this is the best YM combination:

“ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Agree on that, another level or two higher though!

Blue but IMHO you'd be off your t*ts to buy any of the SS variants even at list in comparison with what else you can get at the same price.

That being said the Rose Gold variant is lovely and if I could afford one I'd have one

Journeyman
    love the blue second hand on the grey YM.

Master
    In the flesh, the platinum dial changes colour in a way that even Jocke's superb photo below can only begin to capture. Its and the bezel's fine 'piqure' bring the platinum to life.

That said, both the blue and the grey in the in the 40 series are pretty good.

Whatever, you need to be literally face-to-face with them to see how 3-dimensional the dials & bezels are and how much more interesting than plain old black. Photos just make the colours look flat, even the wonderful platinum.

Last edited by Tinker; 1st July 2022 at 01:30.

Craftsman
    I was a hater of this watch for years and then decided to give one a go. I went for the blue dial. I agree it can seem a bit blingy but it’s not at the level of the Datejust with a fluted bezel and a jubilee. It’s a watch that looks amazing in the sun but looks a little dull out of direct light. It wears better for me than a sub and feels more special. The case is absolutely excellent. I’ve really grown to love the YM 40 in steel but I’m well aware that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. If I could change one thing it would be the bezel: it would look awesome with a dark navy ceramic insert in it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Blue but IMHO you'd be off your t*ts to buy any of the SS variants even at list in comparison with what else you can get at the same price.

That being said the Rose Gold variant is lovely and if I could afford one I'd have one
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    In the flesh, the platinum dial changes colour in a way that even Jocke's superb photo below can only begin to capture. Its and the bezel's fine 'piqure' bring the platinum to life.

That said, both the blue and the grey in the in the 40 series are pretty good.

Whatever, you need to be literally face-to-face with them to see how 3-dimensional the dials & bezels are and how much more interesting than plain old black. Photos just make the colours look flat, even the wonderful platinum.

This.

I love the way the 16622 is generally under the radar, until it's in direct sunlight (doesn't often happen where I live). It is also an incredibly comfortable watch to wear, due to the sculptured body, and has a reassuring heft:

however to answer the OP's question, I'd go for the blue, because the YM's trademark IMO is the red elements on the face....the second hand and the model name.

A

I like them both... but then I just like Yacht-Master 40's in general

Master
    Jocke's photos describe features of the Y-M perhaps not known to many: http://www.watchwallpapers.com/16622.htm

This one for me

Money no object it would be this for me.

126679SABR

126679SABR
    That's horrendous enough that I love it

126679SABR

Ooft- that’s a no from me. A YM 42 in white gold is my dream watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Yep, that's the one for me :0)
    Much nicer than the new lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Ooft- that’s a no from me. A YM 42 in white gold is my dream watch
    It is nice but I had it side by side with this the other day and couldn't see 3x the price. For me the YM42 is a touch too big as it's so flat it wears bigger than its size anyway. Very possible my wrists are more of a fat cylinder than oblong which would make a difference.

The YM isn’t for me personally, way too blingy with the polished case.

I wonder though now all the PM models have the new bezel and oyster flex will we see steel (or maybe even titanium) introduced next year, replacing the existing line? That would be a very popular watch I think.

Size wise it’s a bit of a weird one too, with the rose gold being 40 and the yellow and white being 42. In guess they’d move the whole lot up to 42

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Slate with blue accents is the only one I'd consider - kicking myself as I almost bought one back when they were unloved and cheap.
    Years ago in Dubai I haggled the original YM down to the equivalent of about £3k and at the last minute didn’t buy it , something I have regrets over tbh.

Fast forward to a few years back when the Rhodium dial model appeared, I asked to try one on in the AD and they didn’t have one but about a month later they rang up , i went in and bought it at about £7k .

It’s the best YM by far imho , let it stay under the radar as far as I’m concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Its a very under the radar piece
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Has this been confirmed yet?

I did a quick google search, and I could only find speculation...

Also is it possible to order one with a rubber strap?

Absolutely love mine. Gets a lot of compliments from non WIS

My pal picked up the YG version yesterday. He has very slim wrists but looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    … is it possible to order one with a rubber strap?
    how very dare you. It’s not rubber ! It’s Oysterflex You can by aftermarket rubber that look quite good (but you know it’s second best).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    If I had to make a choice then it would be the blue dial. I certainly don’t dislike the grey and would happily wear one the blue just edges it.

Master
    The slate dial would be my choice, but either would be good.
    This debate reminds me of my first "sports" Rolex. I tried a YG YM, on bracelet, when in Zermatt, around £9k iirc, and didn't jump as a lot of money. Shortly after I picked up a 3 month old TT, white dial, for £3k, which was my daily for many years, until sold to fund my first PAM ( not my most sound financial decision ever ).

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

how very dare you. It’s not rubber ! It’s Oysterflex You can by aftermarket rubber that look quite good (but you know it’s second best).
    Haha!

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Is it possible to order it with the rubber strap, instead of the bracelet, as I'm not a fan of it?

EDIT: I must say, I never really wanted a Rolex until I saw the titanium concept pics:

Last edited by Kitsan; 7th July 2022 at 14:08.