closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterquartz battery change SW

Blog Entries

Oysterquartz battery change SW

My OQ 17000 battery has given up.

Anyone recommend an authorised/ accredited AD in SW who could do the change ?

Or is it better to go to St James when I’m next in London village ?

Z

Blog Entries
    For super-perfect service, go to St. James.

However, I'd be entirely comfortable having the former 'Watches To Go' [1] in Piccadilly Circus tube station do the work. Indeed, I have used them before for OQ battery changes. There is nothing special about the Oysterquartz: It has a normal screw down case back, normal battery retaining mechanism, and normal battery. (Yes, I know this is London not the SW but... umm.... it has a SW postcode. ;-) ).

And last but not least, you can DIY if you feel up to it. You'll need a suitable Rolex case back opener and you'll need to loosen the screws holding down the battery retaining clip, slide it to one side, and then you can replace the battery. Don't lose the screws or the clip! Don't short anything! The battery is a 357 / SR44W. Yes, I've done it myself on my OQs and all was fine, but I've changed a lot of watch batteries over time.

Footnote:-
    1: It is no longer 'Watches To Go'. Sean has passed the business on to someone named Santos and it is now 'Watch Repair Piccadilly'.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 28th June 2022 at 19:29.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the guide Mark.

Quick question, what is the safest way to avoid shorting?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Quick question, what is the safest way to avoid shorting?
    (a) Use correct size, high quality screwdrivers for the battery retention clip screws.
    (b) Use plastic tweezers (if you need to use tweezers to move bits around).
    (c) Be really, really careful. Go slowly.

Worth investing in some silicone grease to VERY lightly re-grease the case back gasket when you replace it. The impregnated foam pads are just right. It doesn't seem like much grease has gone on but it's just enough.

If you haven't done this on another, less valuable, quartz watch then I wouldn't recommend that an Oysterquartz should be your first. But, that said, it is no more difficult then any other quartz watch.

You could try Rocco at Watchworks in Bristol. Top guy who is Rolex accredited

Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    (a) Use correct size, high quality screwdrivers for the battery retention clip screws.
    (b) Use plastic tweezers (if you need to use tweezers to move bits around).
    (c) Be really, really careful. Go slowly.

Worth investing in some silicone grease to VERY lightly re-grease the case back gasket when you replace it. The impregnated foam pads are just right. It doesn't seem like much grease has gone on but it's just enough.

If you haven't done this on another, less valuable, quartz watch then I wouldn't recommend that an Oysterquartz should be your first. But, that said, it is no more difficult then any other quartz watch.
    Very comprehensive and clear that - thanks Mark.

I have changed quite a few batteries on quartz watches previously, but not of such value, and so when the next change is needed on my Oysterquartz, I will more than likely ask someone with more confidence and experience.

I’d hate to be the one to ruin the watch through ham-fisted, misplaced enthusiasm and confidence, but when the time comes, who knows, I may well seek your guidance!

Thanks again.

I was under the impression that Rolex ADs would happily change Oyster-Quartz batteries free of charge as about 9 yrs ago
    my then Rolex AD (Leslie Davis) changed the Varta battery of my 17013 on the spot, is this no longer the case?

Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    I was under the impression that Rolex ADs would happily change Oyster-Quartz batteries free of charge as about 9 yrs ago
    my then Rolex AD (Leslie Davis) changed the Varta battery of my 17013 on the spot, is this no longer the case?
    I'd be curious to know.

Do most ADs have the skills in house (i.e. actually in the building, available to work right away) to actually be able to safely do this? I'd have thought not.

Also a cynic might ask: Why allow a cost centre to exist (albeit one that is good for customer service and goodwill) when it could become a profit centre? ;-)

I suspect many AD’s send it out the back on a satin pillow - then hand it to the Saturday lad who has barely more experience than most on here with changing batteries, but has the correct tools. Whether your watch (be it a £200 Tissot or a rare Oysterquartz) survives unscathed is more down to luck than judgement! - I’d rather do it myself tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    You could try Rocco at Watchworks in Bristol. Top guy who is Rolex accredited

Mark
    Watchworks Have come good & offered a very reasonable price IMHO.

I will drop it off mid July & it’ll be ready within a week.

Thanks for the responses chaps.

z

Journeyman

Battery change Rolex oyster Quartz

It is easy if you do it slowly
    The case back must be removed with a Rolex back removal tool
    Screws are tiny and you need good lighting
    Be careful to have an isolated area so the screws don’t shoot off and get lost
    I over tightened one of the screws and the head sheared off, so tighten with light pressure
    Cost me £60 to get the watchmaker at Watch Doctor to remove and replace the screw
    Cheers
    Alan

Blog Entries

Oysterquartz battery change SW

Update.

I am happy to report that I dropped off at Watchworks, Bristol today.

Due to the fuel protests, I was an hour early & the previous chap was over an hour late. I was offered his slot & battery & re-seal was complete within the hour - while I had a coffee.

Rocco commented that it was in nice condition inside & out … & I’d have to agree.

Excellent, friendly service from Watchworks & thoroughly recommended.

I even got a free torch to celebrate their 30th anniversary!

z
    Last edited by zelig; 4th July 2022 at 17:15.

That is a very elegant watch.

One day, one day...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Craftsman
    £65 last year when I sent time to Rolex via an AD

Sent from my T781 using Tapatalk

Master
    Love an OysterQuartz.

Yours looks great :)