We have a neighbour whose house is in the next street but their garden backs onto ours, so we don't really know them other than very infrequent and brief hello's. Late last year they got a dog, a lovely looking chocolate Lhaso Apso.

Now the weather is better, it appears that they are going out for spells and leaving the dog home alone with the back door open. The dog then spends almost the entire time in the garden, barking until they get home. It's not normal behaviour either, because when they are home it doesn't bark much at all.

Before I go any further, this is not an anti-dog rant. My parents own a dog that we love to bits and spoil rotten whenever we see him, and as soon as we are retired I'd love a dog myself. If anything, I'm concerned that the neighbours dog appears very distressed when it's barking, constantly looking around, which I assume is because it thinks it's been abandoned and is calling out to it's owners.

I work from home, and today there were two spells (from around 07:30 to 09:00 and again from around midday to now, 14:00 and counting) where the dog was in the garden constantly barking. It's becoming very distracting, and even with windows closed it can be heard on Teams calls by others.

So, what is the TZ collectives opinion? Is it reasonable to talk to them and tell them about the noise, or is it just something that dogs do and I'll have to put up with it?