closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scammed on Paypal :(

Scammed on Paypal :(

I have used Paypal for over 20 years without the slightest problem until this morning.

Early this morning I received an email from Paypal saying two payments of £79.02 to recipient ZONG were pending, I have no idea who ZONG is.

I got in touch with Paypal and they advised me to change my password and that they would look into it and hopefully be able to advise me of some sort of progress within the next ten days.

What is the world coming to ?

Transaction Activity Details Gross amount Fee amount Net amount
    27 Jun 2022 Temporary Hold -£79.02 GBP £0.00 GBP -£79.02 GBP

Your payment

Gross amount
    -£79.02 GBP

PayPal fee
    £0.00 GBP

Net amount
    -£79.02 GBP

Rate for conversion of e-money

Conversion from: £79.02 GBPConversion to: Rs 20,000.00 PKRExchange rate: 0.003951

Contact information

ZONG

Funding details

Funding Source: PayPal balance

Master
    Very strange. Would be interested to know how this works. They hack your account and then send themselves funds ?

I’d also remove any bank cards or bank accounts from your PP account too. If there is no source of funds available, they can’t extract any money.

Good luck

Scammed on Paypal

Zong is owned by eBay, don’t suppose anything to do with them?

Scams are as old as time, so that's what the world has always been, not what it's coming to.

Has PP confirmed that that there is actually a pending transaction and it's not a scam email with a link to get your details?

That email doesn't look right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post

What is the world coming to ?

The world went to sh1t long before this.

Hopefully you'll be refunded no problem.

Hmmm. Might be just a coincidence but I've had issues with PP recently insofar as I've been asked to provide a second level of security when using it to make online purchases. Before the purchase was completed I was automatically redirected to PP and had to choose an option to verify myself, either entering a code they'd send me to my phone, using my PP phone App to confirm it was me or receiving a phone call from them for verification.

Never had this before but now it's averaging one in three online purchases.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Zong is owned by eBay, don’t suppose anything to do with them?
    A purchase from overseas? Sold something overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Hmmm. Might be just a coincidence but I've had issues with PP recently insofar as I've been asked to provide a second level of security when using it to make online purchases. Before the purchase was completed I was automatically redirected to PP and had to choose an option to verify myself, either entering a code they'd send me to my phone, using my PP phone App to confirm it was me or receiving a phone call from them for verification.

R
    I've had this for a while now with PP, even logging onto my account, so it's all legit.

I'd rather have the minor inconvenience of a few seconds of my time than lose £££s to scammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    A purchase from overseas? Sold something overseas?
    In the past bought, but not sold overseas for a long time.

Scams are as old as time, so that's what the world has always been, not what it's coming to.

Has PP confirmed that that there is actually a pending transaction and it's not a scam email with a link to get your details?

That email doesn't look right to me.
    Thats not a email its a copy of part of the statement on paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Thats not a email its a copy of part of the statement on paypal.
    So your account after you've logged in? And you've made no purchases recently?

So your account after you've logged in? And you've made no purchases recently?
    I have made quite a few purchases but not for that amount.

Master
    I've had this for a while now with PP, even logging onto my account, so it's all legit.

I'd rather have the minor inconvenience of a few seconds of my time than lose £££s to scammers.
    Same for me, they’ve had to introduce two factor authentication to comply with regs, happy to help stop the scammers and protect my own cash!

PayPal will sort you out, no worries there. Just double/triple check it's not something you've bought and forgotten about, as sometimes the PayPal names are not overly helpful (and the amount is a conversion). This one seems to come back to a Pakistan mobile provider though, so that seems unlikely to be legit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    yup been on ebay since 2004 with Pay pal and they have just introduced this new second stage authentication business, its a PITA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
    yup been on ebay since 2004 with Pay pal and they have just introduced this new second stage authentication business, its a PITA
    No its been there for a while now, and hardly a PITA for the added protection. I wish more vendors would add extra layers of protection.

I can't see how reading a text on your phone and inputting some numbers is a PITA.

Would you rather someone logged in to your account and bought ££££££s worth of goods on your dime? That would definitely be a PITA.

I can't see how reading a text on your phone and inputting some numbers is a PITA.

Would you rather someone logged in to your account and bought ££££££s worth of goods on your dime? That would definitely be a PITA.
    It's even simpler with the app: select first confirmation option (instead of "text message"), open the PP app, click on yes (you don't even have to use fingerprint or Face ID; not sure it's a positive but it's simpler).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

This thread reminded me to unlink PP to my bank account and only through a credit card, turned out to be more difficult that expected, there were ebay payment agreements going back to 2012 that i had to cancel first, all sorted now

You can’t be serious?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's even simpler with the app: select first confirmation option (instead of "text message"), open the PP app, click on yes (you don't even have to use fingerprint or Face ID; not sure it's a positive but it's simpler).
    This, really very simple.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You can’t be serious?
    we it was a slight exaggeration on my part, and i agree its easy but not really required imho esp as Ive logged in with face recognition already..unless I have a doppelganger somewhere

we it was a slight exaggeration on my part, and i agree its easy but not really required imho esp as Ive logged in with face recognition already..unless I have a doppelganger somewhere
    What makes you say it’s not required?
    It’s probably the law, to start with. Then it may also be justified by the number of fraudulent payments PayPal has had to write off, which we don’t know about.

Fair enough

Journeyman
    What makes you say it’s not required?
    It’s probably the law, to start with. Then it may also be justified by the number of fraudulent payments PayPal has had to write off, which we don’t know about.
    yes indeed a NEW law apparently my face is not individual enough lol
    Last edited by Pardalis; 28th June 2022 at 15:40.

yes indeed a NEW law apparently my face is not individual enough lol
    2FA is a legal requirement, the key part being 2 factors.

I'm confused though, if you're buying something on eBay, then paying via PayPal, where are you using your face to login? eBay? If so, that has nothing to do with the PayPal authentication for the payment, they can't possibly know how you logged into eBay.

Just as an aside, facial biometrics can certainly be spoofed. The barrier is more related to the device than the face, i.e. to exercise fraud at scale you'd need to collect up peoples phones, as the biometric isn't transmitted off the device.

Maybe what the email wanted was for you to wonder and probably click on the link to a fake PP site and input your password etc.

Hopefully you used a saved link and not the email one

I've gotten some of these. Check PP, all OK and email deleted

DON

Master
    The need to input codes is a total pita for those of us who are unable to receive mobile phone signals at their home. Admittedly we are in a minority, but they should also offer an option for codes to be sent via a fixed phone line. Every time I'm asked for a code I have to leg it up the road, whilst hoping that the code arrives quickly, and then leg it back home.......... and its bloody annoying when you find the code has timed out.

Craftsman
    The 2FA on PayPal for me is in the app which connects via wifi so no need for a phone signal for a text?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    The need to input codes is a total pita for those of us who are unable to receive mobile phone signals at their home. Admittedly we are in a minority, but they should also offer an option for codes to be sent via a fixed phone line. Every time I'm asked for a code I have to leg it up the road, whilst hoping that the code arrives quickly, and then leg it back home.......... and its bloody annoying when you find the code has timed out.
    I am surprised you do not have wificalls. Unless you have a really old mobile you can activate it and within minutes will be able to call without a signal. And of course receive/send texts and any other app signal.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    2FA is a legal requirement, the key part being 2 factors.

I'm confused though, if you're buying something on eBay, then paying via PayPal, where are you using your face to login? eBay? If so, that has nothing to do with the PayPal authentication for the payment, they can't possibly know how you logged into eBay.

Just as an aside, facial biometrics can certainly be spoofed. The barrier is more related to the device than the face, i.e. to exercise fraud at scale you'd need to collect up peoples phones, as the biometric isn't transmitted off the device.
    Hi, no im using Facial recog to log into Paypal, and a code is still sent, incidentally had to do it again last night for a purchase of 3.80 for some plastic plant lables! surely they could start doing this at say 10 pounds or something?, I sometimes struggle with mobile signals here in the sticks too, Facial recog is good enough on its own for NatWest and on amazon you can just buy with a click like last night for a £300 ooni pizza oven!

Master
    I am surprised you do not have wificalls. Unless you have a really old mobile you can activate it and within minutes will be able to call without a signal. And of course receive/send texts and any other app signal.
    I didn't know that such a thing existed - I will investigate further.

I didn't know that such a thing existed - I will investigate further.
    Since you are in France, if you use an English provider it will not work. But if you use a French one, this will help, I hope: https://blog.ariase.com/mobile/dossi...ls-wifi-mobile
    (if you're not comfortable in French, use Chrome and get it to translate the page for you: after a quick search I couldn't find a site that dealt with the subject in France that had an English version)

There's usually a little button asking "Use another way?" or similar. You can then receive a code via email.

We have no mobile signal at all but we have wifi calling, god send :)
    Last edited by TheTigerUK; 29th June 2022 at 19:03.

Master
    Since you are in France, if you use an English provider it will not work. But if you use a French one, this will help, I hope: https://blog.ariase.com/mobile/dossi...ls-wifi-mobile
    (if you're not comfortable in French, use Chrome and get it to translate the page for you: after a quick search I couldn't find a site that dealt with the subject in France that had an English version)
    Yep, upon investigation an ancient motorola Gen 3, fitted with a uk "3" sim card, and an Orange france router is not a good combination. So I'm just going to have to continue legging it up the road for the time being :-).

I rarely use my mobile (I put £30 credit on it when I left the uk 5 years ago, and I still have about £20 left). I'll also be returning to live in the uk within the next year or 2, so updating a perfectly usable phone wouldn't make much sense as it'll also involve me having to suffer the aggro of changing the mobile numbers on all of the accounts that insist on sending me codes.

Download the app, should solve this problem.

Hi, no im using Facial recog to log into Paypal, and a code is still sent, incidentally had to do it again last night for a purchase of 3.80 for some plastic plant lables! surely they could start doing this at say 10 pounds or something?, I sometimes struggle with mobile signals here in the sticks too, Facial recog is good enough on its own for NatWest and on amazon you can just buy with a click like last night for a £300 ooni pizza oven!
    OK so bear in mind facial recognition is one factor of authentication, and to PayPal it's no different to a password (in effect the phone is authentication and auto-populating a password for you). It's also got many weaknesses, for example you can add multiple people to a phone for facial recognition. A 2nd factor of authentication is literally a legal requirement now in many instances, not much point in blaming PayPal for that and frankly the sheer amount of fraud that happens every day justifies some minor inconvenience.

Also facial recognition is not good enough on it's own for NatWest. You're device is ID'ed, your biometric is taken, and still if you want to do a riskier transaction (i.e. add a new payee for the first time) you'll be asked for additional authentication.

Part of an email from Paypal tonight, not moving very quick (imo).

You submitted your claim because you didn't authorise the purchase.
    We're reviewing this transaction and will email you within 10 days with more information and next steps, if applicable.

Blog Entries
    This is getting increasingly off the topic of this thread, but...

updating a perfectly usable phone wouldn't make much sense as it'll also involve me having to suffer the aggro of changing the mobile numbers on all of the accounts that insist on sending me codes.
    Updating your phone and/or phone account does not imply changing numbers. I frequently move numbers from one provider to another to maintain good deals. I have some rather nice mobile numbers that I would not like to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Updating your phone and/or phone account does not imply changing numbers. I frequently move numbers from one provider to another to maintain good deals. I have some rather nice mobile numbers that I would not like to lose.
    You haven’t completely followed the issue I believe. Catflem has a UK provider and lives in France. As such he cannot get wificalls regardless of how old his phone is. Changing to a French provider would be the only solution (for wificalls) but that would indeed imply a new (French) number, and updating all his security details (since they have his current mobile number).

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

Are you a drug dealer? Most people take their number with them.

Facial Recognition/finger print is just a convenient way for you to login. PP has not checked your face only your username and password so it provides no additional security merely convenience.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Facial Recognition/finger print is just a convenient way for you to login. PP has not checked your face only your username and password so it provides no additional security merely convenience.
    Ah! ok thanks for info

Moving forward :)

Case closed in your favour
    We reviewed the case you filed on 29 June 2022 and have decided in your favour.
    We've issued a refund of £79.02 GBP to you on . It may take up to 5 days for this refund to be reflected on your PayPal account or bank. If you paid using a credit or debit card, the money will be refunded to that card. Depending on your card provider, it can take up to 30 days for the refund to show on your card statement.