closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Playing with watch straps and the fear of knackering lugs…

Master

Playing with watch straps and the fear of knackering lugs…

I have owned my AT for 9 years and have been too worried about knackering the lugs when changing straps so have not bothered until today. I have made mistakes and butchered a Tudor BB58 as well as my longines conquest. I have got better and better and use the correct high quality tools etc. The game changer is jewellers tape. Removed the bracelet today with not so much as a scratch. I know this may be silly to many but this is my first proper watch and I like to look after it. I have a new more grey tone nato on order as this one is almost grey/olive. Anyway. Happy and the watch is a lot more comfortable.

Stu

It’s funny. I would probably put my hands up and say I get a quite bothered about scratches and dings so tend to be overcautious with my watches but I couldn’t care less about scratches on the back of the lugs from strap changes.

It’s not something I ever see so it doesn’t bother me.

I can’t stand scratches on the back of the lugs on a newish watch and have sold a watch before now because it bothers me so much. It is less of an issue on a vintage watch which generally tend to be covered in micro scratches and therefore it is less visible.

Use tape, masking, electricians, anything, just use tape…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I can’t stand scratches on the back of the lugs on a newish watch and have sold a watch before now because it bothers me so much. It is less of an issue on a vintage watch which generally tend to be covered in micro scratches and therefore it is less visible.

Use tape, masking, electricians, anything, just use tape…
    Exactly. The jewellers tape works so well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use blue painters tape.

Craftsman
    Good work OP. In my experience, quality tools (or the right ones) and more protection tape help make the job less stressful.

Further, from what I have seen, worst case everything can be fixed :)

I try not to change straps, but if I have to then I use a good quality Bergeon tool and Transpore tape.

Some watches need a lot of time and patience, particularly Seiko shoulderless bars when the lugs aren’t drilled. Once they are out they get new bars with shoulders

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve decided to leave my BB58 on the bracelet for similar reasons tbh. I’m actually pretty good with changing straps and always use tape and a decent tool - but there’s always a risk. And I know what will happen - I’ll mess about with a few NATO’s and leather options, spend a couple of hundred quid etc. Then within a month - probably a week - it’ll be back on the bracelet with a barely perceptible NATO rash on the caseback, no doubt a tiny hairline on the lug back somewhere - which will bug me - and I’ll have a few more unwanted straps in a box!………

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve decided to leave my BB58 on the bracelet for similar reasons tbh. I’m actually pretty good with changing straps and always use tape and a decent tool - but there’s always a risk. And I know what will happen - I’ll mess about with a few NATO’s and leather options, spend a couple of hundred quid etc. Then within a month - probably a week - it’ll be back on the bracelet with a barely perceptible NATO rash on the caseback, no doubt a tiny hairline on the lug back somewhere - which will bug me - and I’ll have a few more unwanted straps in a box!………

That’s exactly what happened with my 58. My seiko lives on a nato as the metal bracelet is a bit pants. For my omega, the bracelet is starting to exhibit signs of stretch and also due to lack of good micro adjustment is a little on the loose side. I am sure the bracelet will still get used but a nato option will encourage me to wear the watch more. I just need to not do it too often for obvious reasons you have stated.
    Last edited by Stuno1; 22nd August 2022 at 18:27.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    "Helicopter" tape is very useful for avoiding the dreaded rash on casebacks. I started using it when I spent a fair bit on a new road bike a few years ago, and it's still in place. I just cut a strip a little wider than the strap and curve each end to match the case. It's virtually invisible even on the gloss black top tube, and of course it's out of sight anyway on a watch. I buy mine here.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post

Stu
    Sorry to go off topic OP, but where did you buy that strap for your AT? Looks very comfortable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Sorry to go off topic OP, but where did you buy that strap for your AT? Looks very comfortable.
    It’s the one below but sadly due to the poor buckle design I can’t recommend it. It is very rattly as the pin is held in by two loose circular medal pieces. I have given my feedback to the company. Shame as it is a lovely comfy strap.

https://www.watchgecko.com/products/...ato-strap-grey

I have had more joy with haveston so this one is arriving on the next couple of days.

https://www.haveston.com/parade-seri...n-20mm_brushed

Thanks for the reply. That’s a shame about the buckle pins, but I am very familiar with Haveston’s canvas straps. Very comfortable, especially when they have some wear to them.

Back on topic.

Master
    Removing a strap or a bracelet I find is quite easy. Getting it back on can be a challenge. I started to use just a bit of cellotape on the back of the lugs. A small amount that if it wraps around the lug I don’t worry. Once the strap or bracelet is back in place I peel the tape off. Simples

The exact reason my BB58 will be remaining on its metal bracelet. I’m happy however to change straps on my Radiomir, FXD and watches with drilled lugs.

Craftsman
    With age and failing eyesight I find this to be invaluable. Like others I use insulation tape on lugs.
    Once completed if there are any slight marks once the magnifier is removed I cannot see them !

Master
    Just got my Haveston strap through. MUCH better than the watch gecko one in terms of hardware. It’s more grey in tone and the style suits the watch more imo.

Last edited by Stuno1; 24th August 2022 at 12:22.

I only ever use quick release bracelet and straps. Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think I go with the majority… I’m clearly no fan of scratching my own watch, but ultimately, no matter how careful I am, I’m doing to scratch and ding my watches. It’s just unavoidable in normal life. I don’t strap-swap that much and try as I might to be careful, combined with the fact I need glasses but am in denial about that… I’m not perfect at it and have put the odd mark here and there on a watch or two… but, I’m not looking at the case back and so I find it hard to be overly bothered.

I get others might not like knowing they’ve dinged or scratched up their watches and there are ways around it… but for me, by now. The dings are the sign of a life well loved.

My aversion to not changing the bracelet on my 58 has more to do with the realisation it will end up back on the bracelet within a week - so why not cut out the middle man and not buy the NATO at all!!??