closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low/Mid Range Vintage Style Divers?

Low/Mid Range Vintage Style Divers?

I'm thinking about getting myself a more vintage diver and I was hoping for some suggestions, I like the Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military and Squale 1545-ORIG, probably leaning more toward the Steinhart as I don't love the double branding on the Squale.

Steinhart

Squale

What do you think, any others I should look at in this price range?

Ultimately i'm going for the bond look:

Have a look at Helson watches
    They do a SM300 style watch, they also do a BP50 fathoms homage, in my experience build quality is excellent as is the lume.
    Our host will be releasing the Commander soon, (if you can get one in the 30 seconds a month the shop is open) his offerings are also fantastic.
    Re the Steinhart, their quality is very good but the OVM is the only watch I knew I did not like the minute I opened the box, this was after looking at them on line for months. I placed up for sale less than 10 minutes after opening the package. For some reason in the metal it did not look as good as in photos and the straight lugs wore strangely on my wrist.
    Re the Squale, my Mrs has an earlier version, she wears it every day, has smashed the living daylights out of it but it is still going strong, I would take a Squale over the Steinhart.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th June 2022 at 19:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Check Yema too, decent quality and some classic designs. Easy to get 10% and maybe a bit more if you hunt for codes.

Honestly, Christopher Ward are compelling buy for quality at the price point too - the Aquitaine has the round plots you seem to favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Have a look at Helson watches
    They do a SM300 style watch, they also do a BP50 fathoms homage, in my experience build quality is excellent as is the lume.
    Our host will be releasing the Commander soon, (if you can get one in the 30 seconds a month the shop is open) his offerings are also fantastic.
    Re the Steinhart, their quality is very good but the OVM is the only watch I knew I did not like the minute I opened the box, this was after looking at them on line for months. I placed up for sale less than 10 minutes after opening the package. For some reason in the metal it did not look as good as in photos and the straight lugs wore strangely on my wrist.
    Re the Squale, my Mrs has an earlier version, she wears it every day, has smashed the living daylights out of it but it is still going strong, I would take a Squale over the Steinhart.
    I do really like that Sharkmaster 300 but unfortunately, no stock until August 2022 according to their website but I could see if I can pick one up used...

I just had a quick look at the Smiths website, from what I gather that'd be out of my price range (£300-600)?

During my research it was noted by a few people that the 42mm version of the OVM doesn't sit very well on people's wrists, is that the version you had?

I think i'd be happy with the Squale, the double logo isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Check Yema too, decent quality and some classic designs. Easy to get 10% and maybe a bit more if you hunt for codes.

Honestly, Christopher Ward are compelling buy for quality at the price point too - the Aquitaine has the round plots you seem to favour.
    I'll have a hunt through the Yema website and see if they've got something I like

I do like Christopher Ward, especially the C65 Super Compressor which is probably what i'd go for if I picked up something from them.

Wolbrook, lots of variataions to choose from there....

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I'll have a hunt through the Yema website and see if they've got something I like

I do like Christopher Ward, especially the C65 Super Compressor which is probably what i'd go for if I picked up something from them.
    If you like the Yema Superman (I certainly do), they seem to sell on eBay within your previously stated budget of £300-600.

Not handled one personally but I have been tempted a few times.

Master
    Certina PH500 is a nice 70s re-issue. Complete with bolt type crystal release and push to turn bezel make it a very interesting watch :0)

Has the look of Omega 300 in the late 60s too

Last edited by redmonaco; 28th June 2022 at 11:56.

Steinhart Ocean 500 Titanium?? Love mine and the OVM. Great quality for the price, I think.

Squale would be my choice by a country mile.

Craftsman
    Lots of great suggestions above....... I have a Helson Skin-diver, rock solid and well made and the Orange version of the Certina PH500 above, with a super accurate movement and good build quality. The Baltic Aquascaphe is worth a look, lovely vintage vibe, well made and with the 9000 series Miyota, regulated before dispatch......... and another shout out for Wolbrook/Douglas another French micro brand that is a lot of watch for the money. They get a bit of flack for using 8000 series Miyota's but they regulate them and mine is +1 sec per day. ......... and Squale a personal choice of course but I prefer the 1521 which can be snagged for £400-600 used......

This would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Certina PH500 is a nice 70s re-issue. Complete with bolt type crystal release and push to turn bezel make it a very interesting watch :0)

squale is really cool. I also have a soft spot for WMT - they make fantastic vintage rolex homages.

How about WMT watches

http://https://www.wmtwatches.com/pr...configure/729/

With stuff like this and you can configure your own look?

The PH500M is definitely on my list, but I need to try one on to see if I prefer it or if it is different enough to my PH200M. Right now, I want to get something with a more vintage loom. So I can feel a way to my first grail watch, which could be anything from a Navitimer to a Bond Seamaster!

Steinhart Ocean 500 Titanium ticks many boxes, but again I think I would need to see one in person to see the blue as normally I'm not usually a fan of it apart from on the hands with a silver dial.

I'm really liking the WMT watches so far; thank you for the recommendation! I need to spend some more time looking for reviews before I feel comfortable with the brand.

The 1545 Militaire is almost perfect, except it has a date complication.

I think I might have fallen in love with a 1521 Ocean Blue with a Milanese strap.... but that's a bit offtopic

Regarding the 42mm OVM, I found it a much better looking watch on Steinhart's jubilee. It dispenses that strange gap you get with the oyster.

BTW they seemingly usually come running very accurately from new, mine didn't but was regulated professionally and is bang on.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    I have the 42mm/22mm Steinhart OVM, its a fantastic watch if you are looking for that Milsub vibe however it does wear large due to the long L2L length, if you are looking for something a little smaller then check out the 39mm/20mm version of the OVM (gnomon sell this).

If you still want that Milsub/BB58/SM300 look, then check out the Yema Pearldiver, at 38mm/20mm its a great size and gives off that vintage vibe. I have a 7.25" wrist and I find that the 39mm Steinharts seem to suit the best but it all depends on what you prefer.

I own four Steinharts (42mm & 39mm) plus two Yemas (38mm & 39mm), all are superb pieces and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disappointed with any of the choices.

I've got 7.75" wrists, so I was going to go for the 42mm, but I'll also consider the 39mm too. The Pearldiver is excellent, and I really like the name, but I think I currently prefer the OVM and Militaire.

I agree that the jubilee bracelet looks very nice! Do you have any more photos at all?

Craftsman
    Hello....

I have been looking at these..... seems good value and people have previously said that the build quality is good.... I will probably order one in the next couple of weeks... I did have a Steinhart Macau but like a mad person, sold it... lovely watch...

Regards

V

https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-...tic-dive-watch

I've got 7.75" wrists, so I was going to go for the 42mm, but I'll also consider the 39mm too. The Pearldiver is excellent, and I really like the name, but I think I currently prefer the OVM and Militaire.

I agree that the jubilee bracelet looks very nice! Do you have any more photos at all?
    I do.

That bracelet looks great! I think it'd look very good on the Militaire or 1545 ORIG too, it should fit both right?

Take your pick.

Update:

I just bought a CWC SBS, however, I still want to get myself a Milsub-type watch as well.

dkpw has swayed me very much in the direction of a 42MM OVM with a Steinhart Jubilee bracelet

Blog Entries
    Buy the parts & assemble something that’s uniquely your own ?

z

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Take your pick.

I do love the C65 supercompressor, no idea why they discontinued that Black Sand colourway either

I'm not sure that it's quite what I'm looking for right now though, I think if it came between this and a PH500M... the Certina might win for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Buy the parts & assemble something that’s uniquely your own ?
    z
    I have toyed with this idea and it might be the best way to go as I know exactly what i'm looking for, it's just I have to make compromises with whats on the market. High-end Mil watches are just too expensive for me right now, 42 OVM has an almost grey dial and I want deep black, Militaire has a date window....etc.

What tools would I need, what's a good base model and where can I get good parts?

Blog Entries
    I have toyed with this idea and it might be the best way to go as I know exactly what i'm looking for, it's just I have to make compromises with whats on the market. High-end Mil watches are just too expensive for me right now, 42 OVM has an almost grey dial and I want deep black, Militaire has a date window....etc.

What tools would I need, what's a good base model and where can I get good parts?
    These are quite a few threads around TZ & one which inspired me to have a go.

There are the links to self-build threads on Mods & Wreckers

This is the evolution of mine

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ilSub-finished

…& this was the original inspiration from Omegary…

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rst-self-build

… which has links to parts & tools

Good luck !

z

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    These are quite a few threads around TZ & one which inspired me to have a go.

There are the links to self-build threads on Mods & Wreckers

This is the evolution of mine

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ilSub-finished

…& this was the original inspiration from Omegary…

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rst-self-build

… which has links to parts & tools

Good luck !

z
    Brilliant, i'll pour my way through those!

Do you mind if I PM you later on if I need advice?

Ginault has started preorders on their new model called the "Silent Service"

Very nice but not entirely sure if it's $1,039USD +VAT nice...

Blog Entries
    Brilliant, i'll pour my way through those!

Do you mind if I PM you later on if I need advice?
    Sure. But there are many better qualified than me to respond - as evidenced in the 2nd thread.

z

Craftsman

Certina PH500

I took a look at one of these in Chichester a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed

Master
    Certina PH500
    I'd look no further than that. Lovely piece.

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    I took a look at one of these in Chichester a few weeks ago and was pretty impressed
    I love them, definitely on my list of watches I'd like to own

Master
    The PH500 looks lovely, but I don't think I have the wrist for it. I must try on a PH200 as it is slightly smaller.

Master
    Another shout for the Certina PH500M, haven't handled one but they seem to be an awesome VFM prospect.

Alternatively, a Seiko SKX, all the diver you would actually need.

Craftsman
    Have you considered a Tissot Seastar?

Good looks, lots of servicing options and they've fitted their 80 hour power reserve movement.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Another shout for the Certina PH500M, haven't handled one but they seem to be an awesome VFM prospect.

Alternatively, a Seiko SKX, all the diver you would actually need.
    In my opinion, the SKX are too expensive now for what they offer now

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The PH500 looks lovely, but I don't think I have the wrist for it. I must try on a PH200 as it is slightly smaller.
    I have a PH200M, and I love it on a NATO. I didn't like the Certina Milanese bracelet so I bought a watchgecko aftermarket strap and it is far superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    Have you considered a Tissot Seastar?

Good looks, lots of servicing options and they've fitted their 80 hour power reserve movement.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    I do really like the look of this watch, I think I prefer the PH500M and its a touch modern, but if one comes up for a good price... it'll be tough to pass on it

Master
    In my opinion, the SKX are too expensive now for what they offer now
    I agree that some speculators are pricing these very enthusiastically, there are still deals out there however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    ...I would take a Squale over the Steinhart.
    Seconded.

I agree with what's already been said about the Certina PH500. It is the watch to own I think. It's still fantastic value.

I really need to wear mine much more.

Last edited by j111dja; 18th August 2022 at 19:02.

Master
    Personally I’d save up a bit and get the Rado Captain Cook.
    Or a bit more and the Breitling Superocean Heritage but that’s just me.

Zodiac is another brand might be worth looking at, some interesting heritage there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Personally I’d save up a bit and get the Rado Captain Cook.
    Or a bit more and the Breitling Superocean Heritage but that’s just me.
    I have an unworn Rado Captain Cook - just PM me if you're interested?

Journeyman
    I think that Steinhart OVM particularly on a jubilee bracelet would be the winner. Alternatively as others have suggested, A zodiac Christopher Ward, Cettina or even Baltic would do the trick

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

New CW Trident Pro 300 released today is your answer. High spec, budget price.

https://www.christopherward.com/dive...1S0KK0-TK.html

The latest collaboration between NTH and WatchGecko offer a nod to the past.
    https://www.watchgecko.com/products/...ecko-exclusive

Craftsman
    Just a few thoughts on these themes…

NTH make a few nice vintage inspired watches, they have a touch of the homage about them, but it think we’re collectively past that on this thread - worth a look here -

https://nthwatches.com/

Alternatively, if to you mid-range means a bit more money, Ball watches do something called the Engineer Master II Skindiver II (admittedly an awful name, but a good looking watch) -

https://www.ballwatch.com/global/ind...ing&Itemid=101

Once we’re into that sort of money, you can argue that a Brosnan era Omega SMP is mid-range and qualify that….

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    New CW Trident Pro 300 released today is your answer. High spec, budget price.

https://www.christopherward.com/dive...1S0KK0-TK.html
    The handset is a bit odd - and whilst I know their logo divides people, on a vintage style diver it looks a bit peculiar imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The handset is a bit odd - and whilst I know their logo divides people, on a vintage style diver it looks a bit peculiar imho
    The Aquitaine is vintage; I see nothing vintage about the new model