closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches for thin and small wrists

Watches for thin and small wrists

I am having a dilemma. I seem to be shrinking and my wrists with it. My beloved g-shocks look huge on my arms and anything like a Damasko looks big as well.

My old Zodiac (a gift from my grandfather is OK, manual wind) is the only thing that comes close.

So out of curiosity, others with small, thin wrists - what do you wear?

I have a skinny just-shy-of-7 inch wrist. Broadly, I feel safe buying Nomos, chronos and 3-handers under 39, divers under 40mm, though some seikos get a pass to 42 as they wear smaller than the dimensions suggest.

Having said that, I sometimes wonder whether some <36mm watches almost make my hairless, weedy wrist look even less masculine!

I try to avoid buying unseen but will occasionally take a punt on small brands and discontinued, hard to find models.

I have small wrists and find that lug size/design makes as much or more difference than diameter.

Vintage stuff always a good option but often I just say "what the hell" and wear a 44mm dive watch anyway.
    Last edited by gunner; 27th June 2022 at 14:53.

Master
    Firstly, condolences on your shrunken body parts. If it's any consolation, in classical Greece, it was seen as a sign of intelligence.

Irrespective of wrist size, I reckon a decent rule of thumb is that the lug-to-lug be at least a couple of mm less than the wrist width. Personally, for a skinny wrist like mine (17cm), I prefer the height below 12.5mm and the weight below 140-150mg.

Master
    OP can you qualify what you mean by 'small wrists'?

Many Patek work well for smaller wrists (e.g. Nautilus 5711 and Aquanaut 5167), but your trouble there is sourcing one (and having the wonga)!

As others have said, lug measurements and wrist shape matters. I think the strap makes a massive difference as well, bracelets and natos can definitely shrink a watch that might look too big on a leather strap, in my opinion at least.

Personally I think I'm about 6.5, not really sure, but I mostly stick to 36-40mm watches now. I do have a 42mm ETA Black Bay but it looks a bit too big, I don't wear it often at all any more. I've had a few 42mm divers and other than the BB they've all gone, tastes change and they just ended up looking too big to me. My daily wear is a 36mm now

Just measured. My wrist is about 7 inches and quite skinny I guess.

Thanks I will take the 'sign of intelligence' and hopefully no one will ask for proof!

I like the vintage watches like the Omega Seamaster and particularly the Omega Dynamic but they require more funds. The former seem quite slim for I think automatic movements.

I also like the Mondaine watches, but then I do work for the railways!

Master
    I'm of the narrow wrist persuasion too. I rotate between a 36mm Omega and a 41mm CWC diver. The latter is the biggest I would wear but the case shape and slim profile makes it wearable for me. I also have some occasional watches in the 35 to 38mm range. Lug to lug, case shape, case height, strap type and dial size, all make a difference.

I just looked up my very old watch that I used to wear a Dunhill Millenium and that was quite small as well

Width with crown 34.3 mm

Width without crown 32.1 mm

Lug to lug length 38.8 mm

Case Thickness 6.3 mm

Master
    https://timeandtidewatches.com/sex-p...-affects-life/ which links to the original survey https://theslenderwrist.com/average-...ize-for-a-man/

Knock yourself out with stats and measurements but at the end of the day just buy/wear what you like and is comfortable :-)

Master
    This watch could be perfect for you 😉 :-
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...63-0500-3-130)

I wear anything from a 28mm 1930s Universal Geneve Colonial to a 45mm Citizen Orca. If you're looking for a good buy I think there's a 30mm 9ct Pierce on SC somewhere.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

My wrists are a sparrow like 6.75 inches, and I wear quite a range of sizes

These are all fine
    36mm Explorer, 40mm Explorer II, 40mm Sub date

42mm BR03-92, 44mm Sinn U1, 41mm Sinn 103

They only watch I find on the top end of size for me is the Speedy Moonwatch (1861) although the subtle change to the lugs of the 3861 are an improvement.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the problem is that I cant always try stuff on, and have to take a punt.

Will take a look at some stuff. I really want a daily wearer that is light and unobtrusive.

Craftsman
    37mm case with 19mm lugs may be good for you like these two i have . I dont wear them now though because i have glaucoma and cataracts so now i have to wear a larger watch
    Last edited by silver centurian; 27th June 2022 at 17:04.

the more time I spend online the more I like a vintage watch!

Craftsman
    I'm in the same boat as you, and I wish the boat was more fun! It seems like watches are just getting bigger, and I've found it difficult to find something exciting that fits me, my budget, and is possible to get hold of.

My first "proper" watch was an Omega Planet Ocean XL, and although it was enormous it kinda worked on my fat paw. Then 42mm was my go-to, and I enjoyed a couple of Pelagoses (it should really be Pelagi, no?), some Seikos, and a Speedie I miss dearly. 40mm felt tiny. Then, all of a sudden, 40mm felt perfect and anything thicker or bigger than a Black Bay 58 felt enormous. Now, my 40mm Seiko SRPE feels too big, and I'm looking for something 36mm that's possible to afford or purchase.

If I could afford it I'd be rocking a Rolex Explorer or Tudor Black Bay 36, maybe an Omega Aqua Terra 38, and if I could get my paws on one I'd be rocking an Everest.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    the more time I spend online the more I like a vintage watch!
    There’s a vast array of interesting, wonderful vintage watches out there, many very suitable for smaller wrists so that seems like a good option. The research involved finding the right one is usually half the fun, so good luck!
    Last edited by 50kopek; 27th June 2022 at 17:04.

Master
    I have a 18mm wrist and wear watches between 34mm and 41mm quite happily.

I used to have a Moon watch (42mm) which also worked for me.

You could also consider an older Rolex AirKing.

I recently picked one up and they wear lovely on the wrist and feel bigger than the dimensions would suggest. 34W x 43L x 11H.

My wrist is 7 1/4”

Master
    Just measured. My wrist is about 7 inches and quite skinny I guess.
    Not sure my wrist is that and I wore a Rolex DeepSea SD pretty much daily for a decade or so. As long as it’s comfortable, that’s all that matters to me.

The AirKing 14000 (34mm) is an understated cracker but 36mm equally good fit so Explorer or OP. Pre-ceramic Sub or SD likewise.

Sorry, a bit Rolex heavy suggestions!!

Master
    I wouldn’t consider a 7 inch wrist particularly small.

6.5 or less is a small wrist, no?

Lug to lug is the most important measurement to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I have a 18mm wrist and wear watches between 34mm and 41mm quite happily.

I used to have a Moon watch (42mm) which also worked for me.
    That’s a VERY small wrist.

Good luck.
    Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Firstly, condolences on your shrunken body parts. If it's any consolation, in classical Greece, it was seen as a sign of intelligence.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! That has killed me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16cm wrist here and yes, it seems to get smaller every time I bother to check it!

A BB58 is my go to option and most <40mm diameter fit well. My most recent acquisition is a 39mm Aquaterra which feels and looks perfect to me.

I agree that lug to lug is also important, as is the type of strap. Something that wraps around the wrist like a well fitting bracelet or single pass fabric, can really help. Most of Eddies own watches work well for me too. Everest and Expedition especially. I also have a few vintage pieces that would probably have been considered large in their day but are quite dainty by today’s standards.

I have to admit that although I know bigger watches don’t really fit me well, I’ve still got quite a few, that I still love wearing. I think the biggest are a BB bronze and a hunk of a Davosa. I’m firmly of the view that I’ll just buy what I like and enjoy it, whatever it’s size.

I like the Rolex idea, but budget will not allow. I am also wary of wearing one unless its something quite old. Well Happy shopping to me lol.

I love the Omega Railmaster, but they are a pretty penny

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Having said that, I sometimes wonder whether some <36mm watches almost make my hairless, weedy wrist look even less masculine!
    I have 6.7inch wrists and 34mm - 36mm wear great.
    If you're worrying about how a watch impacts your perceived masculinity, you have other issues at play!

Master

So out of curiosity, others with small, thin wrists - what do you wear?
    I don’t think you do have particularly thin wrists, but the size of many modern watches is convincing you that you do. But if you prefer something more subtle, 36mm Datejusts and the 38mm Omega Aqua Terra work well. Grand Seiko also good at making 40mm hug the wrist. Older generation 39mm Explorer IIs work well too. Otherwise, pretty much anything vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    I have 6.7inch wrists and 34mm - 36mm wear great.
    If you're worrying about how a watch impacts your perceived masculinity, you have other issues at play!
    Don’t I know it!

I wouldn't say 7inch wrist as small. My wrist is 6.5 inches and I wear watches sized 36mm to 42mm, although I think my sweet spot is 38-39mm.

Also it's not just the MM size of the case that constitutes how the watch wears. For example I just got a Zenith Chronomaster Revival that's 37mm however on wrist it wears similar to my 5 digit Rolex Exp II that's 40mm

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    There are many variables that can help decide the right size of a watch, but a quick rule of thumb "calculator" that works very well for me is to divide your wrist measurement (in mm) by 5 for your smallest case diameter that will work, and by 4 for your maximum case diameter.

I have a 6.3" wrist, which is 16.002cm, or 160.02mm. Dividing that by 5 gives me 32mm for smallest case diameter that will work for my wrist, and dividing by 4 gives me 40mm as the largest. The middle point of that range (32-40) is the "sweet spot" which is 36mm, so ideal for me are things like the 36mm Rolex Datejust or Explorer, Eddie's Timefactors 36mm range, and the first generation Omega Aqua Terra's in 36mm (I have the quartz models).

For G-Shocks there are really only 3 that work for a small wrist. The squares are the best choice, followed by the Casioak, which is big but the slim height makes it wearable, and I also have the analogue G100.

Having said all that, if you have a 7" wrist, that really isn't small. That's bang in the middle of a normal distribution of male wrist sizes. The wearable range based on the rule of thumb ratios above would give you 36-44/45mm.

I remember a facebook poll in one of the watch groups that 149 people responded to, and which gave the following distribution when I charted it in Excel :

Mode 6.75, Median 7.00, Average 7.07

Blog Entries
    OP: can you measure the width of your wrist? If you get an over hanging case I suggest that is a sign of a large watch? I have a 6 3/4” wrist and wear between 39 to 44mm diameter but try to stick to 50mm wide watch cases with dropping lugs.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above, all I try to do is avoid overhang thus lug-lug measurement is all that matters. My 6.75" wrist suits up to 48mm, slightly more if the lugs curve sharply.

One of my favourite watches was the Blancpain Bathyscaphe but it was 50mm straight lugged and the overhang annoyed me so I moved it on.

Watches for thin and small wrists

6.75” wrists and I tend to not go north of 40mm on divers and 39mm on all dial only watches.

The skx007 whilst bigger (42mm?) wears like a 40mm due to short lug to lug. As others have mentioned the critical dimension is lug to lug to avoid overhang.

Master
    Loads of great watches work on small wrists.

Original Rolex DateJusts are 36mm and lovely.

Bremont make a decent selection of similarly sized watches. Also try putting watches on a nato strap, that seems to help a small wrist.

Master
    Interesting and, while I'd say that range looks about right for my 6.75in wrist, I think neither wrist circumference nor watch diameter are the best indications of how a watch will wear. Wrist width and lug-to-lug are much more relevant in my experience. A good example would be the (effectively lugless) Seiko Tunas that appear on paper to be huge but, in practice, can be worn on smaller wrists and look fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    There are many variables that can help decide the right size of a watch, but a quick rule of thumb "calculator" that works very well for me is to divide your wrist measurement (in mm) by 5 for your smallest case diameter that will work, and by 4 for your maximum case diameter.

I have a 6.3" wrist, which is 16.002cm, or 160.02mm. Dividing that by 5 gives me 32mm for smallest case diameter that will work for my wrist, and dividing by 4 gives me 40mm as the largest. The middle point of that range (32-40) is the "sweet spot" which is 36mm, so ideal for me are things like the 36mm Rolex Datejust or Explorer, Eddie's Timefactors 36mm range, and the first generation Omega Aqua Terra's in 36mm (I have the quartz models).

For G-Shocks there are really only 3 that work for a small wrist. The squares are the best choice, followed by the Casioak, which is big but the slim height makes it wearable, and I also have the analogue G100.

Having said all that, if you have a 7" wrist, that really isn't small. That's bang in the middle of a normal distribution of male wrist sizes. The wearable range based on the rule of thumb ratios above would give you 36-44/45mm.

I remember a facebook poll in one of the watch groups that 149 people responded to, and which gave the following distribution when I charted it in Excel :

Mode 6.75, Median 7.00, Average 7.07
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 5th July 2022 at 10:31.

I have tiny wrists but massive tango hands so I get away with most stuff within reason up to about 41-42mm
    The Heuer divers are thin and fit well

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    OP: can you measure the width of your wrist? If you get an over hanging case I suggest that is a sign of a large watch? I have a 6 3/4” wrist and wear between 39 to 44mm diameter but try to stick to 50mm wide watch cases with dropping lugs.

55mm

However I seem to have overspent on a Stowa so let's see how that works!

You can't judge how a watch looks on you by looking at photos of it on the wrist.

I have a 6.25" wrist, though it is flat and therefore fairly wide. Here is a 45mm watch on it as shown by the usual wrist shot.

Comically huge right?

Not really, here is the watch shown from a more accurate perspective.

Even quite small differences, in the distance to the camera lens, can distort the perspective dramatically, as shown by this picture of a G Shock next to its replacement bezel.

Mitch

Blog Entries
    55mm

However I seem to have overspent on a Stowa so let's see how that works!
    I would suggest upto 50mm lug-lug would be quite acceptable. And you have an average size wrist!

slightly difficult shock to get the tape measure in the same plain - but I think this gives an idea. Nominal Diameter is 41mm

This is probably my comfortable limit

Sweet spot for me is probably 39mm and classic shape.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st July 2022 at 17:55.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Thanks all, lots of good for thought.

Going to try my g shocks again lol

I’ve got really thin girly wrists and I’ve found the 36mm Datejust to be about the most perfect size.

The Seiko SARB and Spirit also wear well.

The speedmaster, after getting over the it’s way too large, I wore it on holiday and found I just got used to it but deep down I know it looks too large.

I also have SKX007/009 and although the look OK, to me, they are pretty top heavy in terms of their thickness.

As I said above the DJ is for me the perfect size, so so that I’ve got another on order.

Grand Master
    My wrists are approx. 6.75", possibly a tad less, and square, so I`m limited on what I can wear. I don`t like the 'big watch' look, biggest I can wear is an Omega SMP Bond at 41mm and that really has to be on a Bond bracelet to look right. I've tried a Speedmaster Moonwatch a few times when I've worked on them and it just wears too big on me otherwise I`d own one. I've had a couple of 5 digit Subs that were Ok but a little tall for my taste, I have to wear fairly slim watches otherwise they feel wrong.

Thankfully I`m a big fan of vintage watches in the 34-36mm range so I'm happy.......most of the time! If I was trying to buy new I`d struggle.

I think a big watch on a small wrist makes the wrist look smaller, its not a look that appeals to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    An interesting idea but it turned out to be way off in my case, particularly at the lower end. Better to use your eyes, and a full length mirror as well as just looking at your wrist. A well sized watch will look good both ways IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I’ve got really thin girly wrists and I’ve found the 36mm Datejust to be about the most perfect size.

The Seiko SARB and Spirit also wear well.

The speedmaster, after getting over the it’s way too large, I wore it on holiday and found I just got used to it but deep down I know it looks too large.

I also have SKX007/009 and although the look OK, to me, they are pretty top heavy in terms of their thickness.

As I said above the DJ is for me the perfect size, so so that I’ve got another on order.
    I feel your pain but, if there's any consolation for lifelong exile in the girly wrist brigade, it's that simple three handers often look best (imo) in the 36-37mm size and classics such as the 36mm DJ and Explorer look perfect on slimmer wrists.

Master

Master
    The fist generation Overseas 42042 - ultra-thin and a large wearing 37mm. This and the current 37mm are the only Overseas likely to fit a slim wrist, maybe the white gold one would, if you’ve recently won the lottery.