closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Which watch or watches to spend up to 20k?

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    24

    Which watch or watches to spend up to 20k?

    Hi All

    I have around £20k available that I am lucky to have received from an investment. I want to spend this on a luxury watch with a view to further investment.

    I always buy watches that I can wear but also with a view to a good investment. I know no one has a crystal ball but I guess based on historical trends. The reason I do this is so that if needed I can shift them for a profit in rainy days.

    What would be your recommendations for me? Please give specific recommendations if possible.

    Also would you spend all that money on one watch or buy 2 or more?

    Many thanks.
    Last edited by unstoppable; 27th June 2022 at 01:40.

  2. #2
    Master Jon Kenney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    3,736
    Unless you can buy at list price, I don’t think your timing is ideal for your end goal.

  3. #3
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,896
    Blog Entries
    1
    You should post this in the Watch Investment Subforum.

    They should be able to help you to get one or two spots on an AD list for a desirable Rolex, like a Hulk or a Pepsi.


    * just seen that you lack the required post count to enter the Watch Investment Forum. Hmm, that's going to be difficult then.
    Last edited by Raffe; 27th June 2022 at 06:50. Reason: added post count requirement
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You should post this in the Watch Investment Subforum.

    They should be able to help you to get one or two spots on an AD list for a desirable Rolex, like a Hulk or a Pepsi.


    * just seen that you lack the required post count to enter the Watch Investment Forum. Hmm, that's going to be difficult then.
    ‘Watch Investment Sub Forum’, -
    Raffe, you’re such a tease😉

  5. #5

    Which watch or watches to spend up to 20k?

    With that budget could just about get 3 Subs - push AD for some discount if buying several.

  6. #6
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With that budget could just about get 3 Subs - push AD for some discount if buying several.
    I respectfully disagree.

    He'd be better off buying two Hulks and putting the balance into Smith's Jubilee watches, I'm sure Eddie is willing to release some from the secret reserve.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  7. #7
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,176
    Blog Entries
    20
    Wrong sub forum OP. This is watchtalk
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”. HHGTTG

  8. #8
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,802
    Was going to see if we could get the OP into the special WhatsApp Group where you can buy a Rolex without waiting but I see he is from Manchester and sadly the 'no northerners' rule is firm.

  9. #9
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,100
    OP you could buy approximately 160 Vostok Scuba Dudes or 1800 Casio F91Ws. You won’t loose much money on either of them.
    As per the post earlier I think you may have missed the boat if you are expecting guaranteed returns and can’t buy at RRP. Buy what you like and enjoy it.

  10. #10
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,346
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's a pity you missed the the 'cryptoRollie' NFT listing allowing you to invest directly in the brand without bothering with the inconvenience of the high maintenance physical tokens. Check Jake's blog for the next tranche.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,544
    I thought we weren't allowed to mention the Watch Investment sub-forum in the general forum? I am grateful to it though, having been able to get SS Rolex with only a few weeks wait each time something catches my eye. I think there was a lead to an Aquanaut last week too, again with only a very short wait for list price.

  12. #12
    Probably shouldn’t mention this on a public forum, but the smart money has moved on from mechanical watches and is now into typewriters. My WhatPrat private investor group is alive with the credible rumours that Swatch group is about to reposition the typewriter as a luxury good, replacing soul-less electronic email with artisanal mechanical movements.

    I've got in early with this classic from 1967. Better to buy one good one than many flawed but cheaper examples, and of course, avoid golfball mechanisms.



    Look for originality and don’t expect prices to remain affordable for long.

  13. #13
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,802
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I think there was a lead to an Aquanaut last week too, again with only a very short wait for list price.
    There was but it ended up being the bracelet version and I wanted rubber. I was absolutely livid.

  14. #14
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    27
    20k is a nice amount, plenty to choose from. But like several have said.....best way is list price! Good luck!

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There was but it ended up being the bracelet version and I wanted rubber. I was absolutely livid.
    There's always next week!

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There was but it ended up being the bracelet version and I wanted rubber. I was absolutely livid.
    There's always next week!

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    6,393
    These are current sold prices with a 6% sales commission added on for the for the buyer.

    https://www.watchcollecting.com

  18. #18
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    19,167
    Rolex.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

  19. #19
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,176
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There was but it ended up being the bracelet version and I wanted rubber. I was absolutely livid.
    Couldn’t agree more.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”. HHGTTG

  20. #20
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,730
    Invest in yourself and see where it takes you, with the right mindset it will be the best investment you'll ever make..

  21. #21
    Master studly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,606
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Invest in yourself and see where it takes you, with the right mindset it will be the best investment you'll ever make..
    Tony Robbins is in the house!

  22. #22

    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    There was but it ended up being the bracelet version and I wanted rubber. I was absolutely livid.
    Oh the shame, I really feel for you Ryan.

    But, if you’re an actual buyer (and with some PP purchase history) I’m sure you’ll see an Aquanaut in in c.9-11 years based on current lead estimations direct from PP.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 29th June 2022 at 01:12. Reason: Typos

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Probably shouldn’t mention this on a public forum, but the smart money has moved on from mechanical watches and is now into typewriters. My WhatPrat private investor group is alive with the credible rumours that Swatch group is about to reposition the typewriter as a luxury good, replacing soul-less electronic email with artisanal mechanical movements.

    I've got in early with this classic from 1967. Better to buy one good one than many flawed but cheaper examples, and of course, avoid golfball mechanisms.



    Look for originality and don’t expect prices to remain affordable for long.
    Thanks for the tip.
    You do realise that you are wasted here?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    You do realise that you are wasted here?
    Thank you (I think). As Constance Lloyd's husband almost said, watches are much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.

  25. #25
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I thought we weren't allowed to mention the Watch Investment sub-forum in the general forum? I am grateful to it though, having been able to get SS Rolex with only a few weeks wait each time something catches my eye. I think there was a lead to an Aquanaut last week too, again with only a very short wait for list price.
    Never knew about this - how many posts to get in?

    I'm in a similar position to the OP and am fed up on Rolex waiting lists for a GMT (4.5 years) Sub (1.5 year) and earlier this year went to Vacheron to put my name down for an Overseas. I'd like to just buy the watch that I like but an as-new Pepsi is still trading at circa £22/23k on the grey market, which is crazy.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Thank you (I think). As Constance Lloyd's husband almost said, watches are much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
    Compliment intended.

  27. #27
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,896
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by King Arthur View Post
    Never knew about this - how many posts to get in?

    I'm in a similar position to the OP and am fed up on Rolex waiting lists for a GMT (4.5 years) Sub (1.5 year) and earlier this year went to Vacheron to put my name down for an Overseas. I'd like to just buy the watch that I like but an as-new Pepsi is still trading at circa £22/23k on the grey market, which is crazy.
    1,000 posts.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Probably shouldn’t mention this on a public forum, but the smart money has moved on from mechanical watches and is now into typewriters
    Summarising recent activity on the (paywall) /r/WatchInvestorsSavant board:

    Starting with some more from Swatch Group…

    Swatch: Intend to be the major change agent in driving the re-imagining of communication from soul-less electronic devices to aspirational mechanical movements. Expect a full range of brands at various tiers, covering the “fun” market with multi-coloured BioCeramic cases sold in airports to serious high-end offerings which will be Boutique only.

    Omega: Expected to launch with a model recreating the exact typeface used to print the Mercury and Apollo name cards. Current status is that they are ready to launch, just as soon as they have engineered the commemorative box down to less than the size of a suitcase.

    Blancpain: Promising to never have (and never will) make an electric typewriter.

    Casio: Testing a rugged model with very serious shock protection, suitable for writing important missives under the harshest conditions.

    Patek Philippe: Controversially perhaps, sticking with traditional basket-shift. Not the most modern approach but historical provenance is most important to their market demographic. Conservative maybe, but you never really own one, after all.

    Seiko: After experimenting for 20 years with their innovative kinetic platen, are now expected to revert to their tried and tested Magic Carriage Return Lever mechanism. Predicted to be reliable with little need for servicing, though not the best text alignment.

    Grand Seiko: Exclusive home to the higher-end models featuring an innovative dual-impulse typebar. Extensive use of hand-polishing by experts who have been secretly training for the last 15 years at the revered Typo Artists Studio.

    Rolex: The big one, working on a range of sport/professional models all expected to feature TripLock bail rollers and offer 200 WPM minimum. Keys will have white gold surrounds and ceramic inlaid caps. Every single model will take a year to make and be certified by the Contrôle Officiel de Clavier Keycáp, making them the only typewriters to be C.O.C.K certified.

    Some debate is ongoing over whether 200WPM is excessive, most recreational typists seldom venturing beyond 30WPM. However, the added security of the higher rating is generally agreed to reassuring for a GATA device.

    My advice remains to seek out older unmolested examples, ideally with original spools, for the most chance of future appreciation. Not sure how long it will before the mass market pile in, especially as some 'slebs have broken cover already, but this is the Bitcoin in 2012 moment.

    Fortune favours the bold types.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 1st July 2022 at 05:33.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Summarising recent activity on the (paywall) /r/WatchInvestorsSavant board:

    Starting with some more from Swatch Group…

    Swatch: Intend to be the major change agent in driving the re-imagining of communication from soul-less electronic devices to aspirational mechanical movements. Expect a full range of brands at various tiers, covering the “fun” market with multi-coloured BioCeramic cases sold in airports to serious high-end offerings which will be Boutique only.

    Omega: Expected to launch with a model recreating the exact typeface used to print the Mercury and Apollo name cards. Current status is that they are ready to launch, just as soon as they have engineered the commemorative box down to less than the size of a suitcase.

    Blancpain: Promising to never have (and never will) make an electric typewriter.

    Casio: Testing a rugged model with very serious shock protection, suitable for writing important missives under the harshest conditions.

    Patek Philippe: Controversially perhaps, sticking with traditional basket-shift. Not the most modern approach but historical provenance is most important to their market demographic. Conservative maybe, but you never really own one, after all.

    Seiko: After experimenting for 20 years with their innovative kinetic platen, are now expected to revert to their tried and tested Magic Carriage Return Lever mechanism. Predicted to be reliable with little need for servicing, though not the best text alignment.

    Grand Seiko: Exclusive home to the higher-end models featuring an innovative dual-impulse typebar. Extensive use of hand-polishing by experts who have been secretly training for the last 15 years at the revered Typo Artists Studio.

    Rolex: The big one, working on a range of sport/professional models all expected to feature TripLock bail rollers and offer 200 WPM minimum. Keys will have white gold surrounds and ceramic inlaid caps. Every single model will take a year to make and be certified by the Contrôle Officiel de Clavier Keycáp, making them the only typewriters to be C.O.C.K certified.

    Some debate is ongoing over whether 200WPM is excessive, most recreational typists seldom venturing beyond 30WPM. However, the added security of the higher rating is generally agreed to reassuring for a GATA device.

    My advice remains to seek out older unmolested examples, ideally with original spools, for the most chance of future appreciation. Not sure how long it will before the mass market pile in, especially as some 'slebs have broken cover already, but this is the Bitcoin in 2012 moment.

    Fortune favours the bold types.
    Bravo That Man.
    Zero Response = Collective Sense of Humor Failure or What TZUK?

  30. #30
    𝙿𝚘𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚋𝚛𝚎𝚟𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝚒𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚝 𝚘𝚏…☼

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information