closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with Tag Heuer Milla Miglia watch

Journeyman

Help with Tag Heuer Milla Miglia watch

Hello All - thanks for reading.

I bought a Tag Heuer from this very forum a while ago. It was cheap as it had a known problem. I took a hit and gave this to my watch repair man. He advised that the movement was replaced. I agreed and paid £140 for this.
    I have been wearing the watch daily for a while and have noticed that the top button makes one of the chrono dials spin a bit and the red seconds hand ticks around.
    The bottom button appears to do nothing.

I took it back to him and he unscrewed the crown and tried again and all the dials seemed to spin a reset.

How should this watch work? How can i test it is working as it should as i am debating selling this and want to ensure that the new owner is happy.

Many thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a pic or the ref for the watch?

Im guessing its a quartz chrono given the price you paid for a replacement movement.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Journeyman
    Thanks for your reply Ben.

Yes its a Quartz watch.

The original for sale thread here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ht=fixer+upper

Some pictures from that here:
    https://i.ibb.co/nL9Ty6B/77-F4-E618-...C8-D7094-A.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/zNJ8YHx/22-A0-B20-C...07-CF6-FC9.jpg

Does that help at all?

Many thanks

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Top pusher starts and stops chrono.
    Bottom pusher gives lap time if chrono is running
    or resets to zero if the chrono has been stopped.

If the sub dial hands don’t all point to 12 when reset
    Perform the recalibrate sequence in the video.

Master
    The large red hand is the chrono seconds hand and isn't meant to be running all the time, the bottom sub dial is the "normal" seconds counter and should be continuously running. The top 2 sub dials and the large red hand are all the chrono functions and should be all vertical when reset. The top pusher is start stop and the bottom reset, you can only reset when the chrono is stopped. If you have the instruction book there is a few pages explaining how to reset the chrono hands

Blog Entries
    If the watch is definitely not working correctly (i.e. if all chrono hands are not operating as they should when the relevant pushers are pressed) then it is possible that the movement is not correctly seated in the case or is loose.

I have seen this myself where quartz chrono movements that are badly seated or loose can give inconsistent results when the pushers are pressed due to intermittent physical or electrical contact being made.

This kind of problem can sometimes go away when the chrono functions are tested with the crown unscrewed or when the case back is removed as the movement is no longer being held in a bad position.

If the problem does keep reoccurring and you're not happy with opening up the watch to check it out yourself, then I guess the only option is to take it back to the watchmaker.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 28th June 2022 at 15:16. Reason: Fixed typos

If the battery is going you can get stuck hands on the chronograph while the hour and minute hands work on.

If you look closely you can often see the hand trying to tick.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. I have taken the watch back to the watch maker for investigation and will let you know what he finds.
    It is still within a year of having a new mechanism and battery, so hope he can fix this easily.

I will update you.

I have a Tag with the ETA 251.262 movement, and it does the spinning hand thing on pulling the crown out to the first position. In that position, the one chrono button cycles through the various hands to allow each one to be reset individually. At each chrono button push, a hand does an individual spin to indicate it is selected, with the other chrono pusher advancing the hand in normal increments.

It sounds as if your crown may not be fully seated, and so is either permanently or slipping into the hand adjustment position.

Worth a check.

Journeyman
    Thanks all. Do the watch maker finally corrected the fault.

So after replacing the movement - he forgot to clean the pushers and the reset pusher was 'full of gunk'.
    It now seems to work following a clean out of the 'gunk, but he wants to charge me £25 extra for the privilege. He told me that the pushers would not be part of the job when replacing the movement.

I have to collect the watch later this week, but extra keen not to pay the extra £25 as it is the principle.....

I would point out that you expected a working watch on its return and that is not what you got. It had to be returned to correct a fault. Surely he should have tested the watch first before returning it to you?
    I would not be paying
    I certainly would not be using him again.

Journeyman
    Collected the watch today and he was adamant that it was working when it left him after he replaced the movement. I asked him if he had tested it and he assured me that he had. I then quizzed him on how he had tested it as he asked me for the operating instructions as he was not sure how it worked.

After a bit of a stand off in the shop - he dropped the £25 fee to clean the pusher and i think that is the end of the relationship. A bit sad really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Singh View Post
    Collected the watch today and he was adamant that it was working when it left him after he replaced the movement. I asked him if he had tested it and he assured me that he had. I then quizzed him on how he had tested it as he asked me for the operating instructions as he was not sure how it worked.

After a bit of a stand off in the shop - he dropped the £25 fee to clean the pusher and i think that is the end of the relationship. A bit sad really.
    Lost the payment and the relationship, mental strategy by a service provider. Surely giving a basic clean round the accessible main components is 101 when any servicer opens a watch? Or at least those that look gunky.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using TZ-UK mobile app

There's something about those tinkering with watches that makes them a bit tetchy.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There's something about those tinkering with watches that makes them a bit tetchy.
    Not all, just some…
    Must be all that time bent over not talking to anyone…
    Seriously how daft is he to loose a potential repeat customer over £25?
    Especially as he didn’t do the job properly in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Not all, just some…
    Must be all that time bent over not talking to anyone…
    Seriously how daft is he to loose a potential repeat customer over £25?
    Especially as he didn’t do the job properly in the first place.
    Agreed, so we've now established that the watchmaker, is 'short sighted' in more ways than one.