closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney at Glastonbury

Master

Paul McCartney at Glastonbury

Is anyone else watching and as disappointed as I am? God bless him he's 80 and I hope I'm as fit and healthy in 25 and a bit years time but he could have filled the slot with Beatles and Wings classics.

Am I being unfair?

Craftsman
    I'm bored...

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s an absolutely brilliant set! The bloke’s 80 years old and is absolutely rocking the place. What a legend. Brilliant. If you don’t agree….you’re wrong.

Master
    I must admit Dave Grohl has made things interesting 🙂

It’s getting better and better.

Yes, you are being unfair.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    I take it all back, Mr. Springsteen

He's at least 70 now

Craftsman
    Great to see McCartney looking so well, but what really warms my heart is seeing his band (especially the drummer) support him with the vocals. At 80, I think his voice is amazing and it sounds like he's not dropped the key from the originals, which a lot of ageing singers do, but it's obvious he's not as strong vocally as he was. Great to see Bruce too.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I take it all back, Mr. Springsteen

He's at least 70 now
    I remember Hyde Park 10 years back when McCartney joined Springsteen on stage. It was a phenomenal show until the pen-pushers pulled the plug (literally). Presumably the folk at Glastonbury are having an excellent time!

But what watch are they wearing

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    I've been a Bruce Springsteen fan since The River and before. I've not seen him live (my brother did in the late 80s) but vividly remember his live set when headlining what was it about 12 years ago.

What an absolute privilege to have seen that McCartney set tonight. I’ve never been so envious of a crowd. Truly, truly amazing!!

Craftsman
    What an encore.

I've been a Bruce Springsteen fan since The River and before. I've not seen him live (my brother did in the late 80s) but vividly remember his live set when headlining what was it about 12 years ago.
    Springsteen has a worldwide tour in 2023, so never too late to rectify that
    UK dates not yet released.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Springsteen has a worldwide tour in 2023, so never too late to rectify that
    UK dates not yet released.
    Yep
    Well worth the effort to see the Boss
    He still plays 3-4 hour sets, the band (what’s left of them) are still tight and enjoy playing together.
    I would say he is my favourite ‘vintage’ rock act. The River is my favourite album of all time.
    Saw the Stones last night - for old codgers they were bloody good.

Master
    Credit where it is due, McCartney was damn good.

Master
    Saw him first in 1981 and numerous times since. As said a tour next year with UK dates likely to be July and August.

Why isn’t the McCartney set on iPlayer?

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Saw him first in 1981 and numerous times since. As said a tour next year with UK dates likely to be July and August.

Probably to do with McCartney owning the rights to the broadcast.

As for the performance, it was OK, nothing more, he could have jammed the set list with hit after hit and made the show iconic, instead half the show was a touch over indulgent on his part.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At a party last night so I recorded it, really looking forward to watching it today

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    At a party last night so I recorded it, really looking forward to watching it today
    Recorded it also, so looking forward to seeing it tonight. Can see nothing but rave reviews (except on tz of course ;) ).

Amazing set he played. His voice seemed to get better as he went through the 2.5hr set.
    Total legend. His band were great too with man mountain on the drums!

I wasn't expecting much but have to admit, that was a great set.
    Who else could pull in Dave Grohl and the Boss for guest slots?
    They all really looked to have enjoyed themselves especially during the final jam.
    Great stuff.

Cheers,

Adam.

I was getting a bit bored but it definitely got a lot more up my street in the second half of his set

Master
    I'm a lifelong Beatles fan, but didn't see it.

The future is a lot stranger than I thought it would be, I must say. Could anyone have imagined when The Beatles split that McCartney would be playing to huge crowds over half a century later, at the age of 80?

Just looked through the setlist and it's liberally furnished with Wings and Beatles classics, so I don't get one or two of the comments further up the thread.

Sort of surprised to see Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! in there. Ah and followed by Something - so intended as a tribute to the deceased Beatles.

And In Spite of All The Danger - that's an inspired choice. Looks to me like a nice blend of crowd-pleasing classics, deeper cuts and sentimental nods to the long-distant past. Lovely.

He was brilliant, anyone who says he wasn’t is a miserable sod, probably the last time we will see him do a set like that.

Apprentice

McCartney

Watched McCartney at glasto last night and if I were to be completely objective about his set it was
    Absolutely Brilliant!

There used to be a "Beatles are shite club" on TZ... seems to be still dormant. Anyone remember it?

Master
    Didn't see him but I can imagine he is as good as Rod Stewart, Elton John or the Rolling pensioners are nowadays. Glastonbury has gone down hill over the past 20 years..even Greta Thunberg is there!

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Didn't see him but I can imagine he is as good as Rod Stewart, Elton John or the Rolling pensioners are nowadays. Glastonbury has gone down hill over
    That’s what I was thinking prior to watching last night, his voice wasn’t the strongest, but the rest of the band beefed it up really well

A shame the soundood messed up his mic volume on a couple of numbers, but what a fantastic set!

Not my thing really, I watched for a bit but turned off. Preferred Noel Gallagher’s set to be honest. Then again, Beatles do nothing for me and are well before my era so can appreciate my personal taste will probably play a big influence in why it bored me.

I fell asleep :(

Master
    Didn't see him but I can imagine he is as good as Rod Stewart, Elton John or the Rolling pensioners are nowadays. Glastonbury has gone down hill over the past 20 years..even Greta Thunberg is there!
    Didn’t watch him as not interested to be honest.
    Glastonbury has certainly changed in the 23 years i’ve been going but in my humble opinion it certainly hasn’t gone down hill, i’m saying that from a point where i’d have seen none of the headliners this year too. The sheer choice offered means i’ve never, ever been bored.

Given Glastonbury’s support of Greenpeace and countless other environmental and humanitarian projects for pretty much ever, why wouldn’t Thunberg be invited?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Didn’t watch him as not interested to be honest.
    Glastonbury has certainly changed in the 23 years i’ve been going but in my humble opinion it certainly hasn’t gone down hill, i’m saying that from a point where i’d have seen none of the headliners this year too. The sheer choice offered means i’ve never, ever been bored.

Given Glastonbury’s support of Greenpeace and countless other environmental and humanitarian projects for pretty much ever, why wouldn’t Thunberg be invited?
    The likes of Stormzy , Mcartney, Adele ...etc... and other boring pyramid stage dwellers of recent years ...then you have to listen to Thunberg and pay for it? Keep it.

Master
    The likes of Stormzy , Mcartney, Adele ...etc... and other boring pyramid stage dwellers of recent years ...then you have to listen to Thunberg and pay for it? Keep it.
    You’ve picked 3 artists that i presume are not to your taste, nor to mine either actually, out of how many that also played in the respective years?

The beauty of Glastonbury is the sheer choice on offer, along with the fact it raises millions a year for the less fortunate. I’ll gladly keep it and was gutted to miss out this year.

Out of interest, when was the last time you went?

Master
    Still sounded better than Diana Ross recently. Low benchmark though

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Still sounded better than Diana Ross recently. Low benchmark though
    How very true. Diana Ross was embarrassing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    That’s what I was thinking prior to watching last night, his voice wasn’t the strongest, but the rest of the band beefed it up really well
    And yet a minute ago you suggested that to criticise him was heresy, Make your mind up.

You miserable sod?

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    As flat as a witch’s tit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I was referring to her recent concert, had no idea she was appearing today.

Speaking over your voice track...again, awful. However her trying to sing at the recent concert in London, even worse, she just needs to retire with whatever dignity remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    You’ve picked 3 artists that i presume are not to your taste, nor to mine either actually, out of how many that also played in the respective years?

The beauty of Glastonbury is the sheer choice on offer, along with the fact it raises millions a year for the less fortunate. I’ll gladly keep it and was gutted to miss out this year.

Out of interest, when was the last time you went?
    Just had a text in from friends there who are 30+ year veterans of Glastonbury.

"Best.
    Glasto.
    Ever!"

As you say David, the choices are vast and I could happily go just for the Theatre and Circus Fields alone.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Just had a text in from friends there who are 30+ year veterans of Glastonbury.

"Best.
    Glasto.
    Ever!"

As you say David, the choices are vast and I could happily go just for the Theatre and Circus Fields alone.

R
    One of the people i always go with is the same as your friends, 30+ years and has seen and experiences pretty much all it can offer and we’ve both seen the changes since 2000 in particular.

Cabaret, healing fields, Green Futures, crafts etc etc etc, it’s still retains more than we’ll ever have time to take in on any one year and i’m gutted to have missed this one. I’ve honestly found that many of the people banging on about it ‘not being the same’ or that the magic has gone haven’t been for years and often then only once or twice.

Master
    So who are you watching tonight? Kendrick Lemarr (no idea if I've spelled that correctly) or The Pet Shop Boys?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    probably the last time we will see him do a set like that.
    I hope so.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post

Can’t wait for the Boss to release the Uk dates for ‘23.

I’ve been saying for 20 years now that each time he pops over to the Uk I must see him as a) he’s the best live act I’ve ever seen and b) he’ll be too old one day and will stop coming here……glad to say I’m woefully wrong on that last point.

McCartney was just epic. His 35 (!!!) song set was just sublime, moving and enthralling in every way. Felt privileged to watch it right through and was thrilled Bruce rocked up too.

Loving Pet Shop Boys.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guess Chris Lowe doesnt play live.

He was late arriving 5 songs into the set

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Loving Pet Shop Boy.
    FTFY
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I missed the start, that’s really bad form.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Guess Chris Lowe doesnt play live.

He was late arriving 5 songs into the set

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Can’t wait for the Boss to release the Uk dates for ‘23.

I’ve been saying for 20 years now that each time he pops over to the Uk I must see him as a) he’s the best live act I’ve ever seen and b) he’ll be too old one day and will stop coming here……glad to say I’m woefully wrong on that last point.

McCartney was just epic. His 35 (!!!) song set was just sublime, moving and enthralling in every way. Felt privileged to watch it right through and was thrilled Bruce rocked up too.
    Well worth seeing The Boss, managed it about 7 years ago, superb from start to finish (nearly four hours later).
    Wasn't Macca epic! Loved the Abbey Road stuff, the audience lapping up Hey Jude, and the Lennon duet.
    Truly superb, the man played bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, mandolin, and ukelele all with equal gusto.
    Yes he must be coming to the end of his big gig days now, his age showed through here and there but bloody hell to maybe bow out after this at 80 is truly remarkable.