closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this for real?

Blog Entries
    £10k for a rubber strap, whoever makes it, seems ridiculous. That said, nothing surprises me these days and this is precisely what is spoiling the hobby as we know it.

Couldn’t agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    £10k for a rubber strap, whoever makes it, seems ridiculous. That said, nothing surprises me these days and this is precisely what is spoiling the hobby as we know it.

Agree, all said and done it is a couple of pieces of rubber, cost to make maybe a few quid lol, having said that there are plenty of mugs about, you only have to look at the Moonswatch saga, people paying £600 plus for a plastic watch that is in reality a £50 watch if that

Shipping is only £1 though!

Blog Entries
    What is the RRP on a PP Aquanaut green rubber strap?

And what do you have to do to actually be able to buy one at RRP?

Blog Entries
    A fool and his money
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

There was a Hodinkee interview with John Mayer a few years back, and even then he mentioned stocking up on the green Aquanaut strap because they were getting so hard to find. I can't imagine they've increased the supply since!

'Hi, I'd like to get a new rubber strap for my watch'
    '...Sorry, who are you? What is your spend history here?'

I saw a few on Chrono 24 for £600-700. I am not sure the same or not.
    Advertised as Khaki Green for Aquanaut. Part # 5168a.

Grand Master
    Think I have a used black one lying around somewhere if anyone needs one
    RIAC

I doubt the price is any different to the black strap, but Patek will only sell to owners of the khaki Aquanaut.
    This wasn’t always the case but when that decision was made everyone assumed the strap had been discontinued, and when John Mayer announced he was stocking up on green straps the whole “we want what we can’t have” mentality took over the asylum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    when John Mayer announced he was stocking up on green straps the whole “we want what we can’t have” mentality took over the asylum.
    Veblen++

!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Bargain

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Tenner off Ali express if you’re not fussy. Lol

Thanks for the link. I was looking for some colour for my 5167. Bargain.

Own the watch that it belongs to, Patek will check serial numbers and will only supply the strap for the watch its intended for, so no dice unless you own a 5167A-010

Equally impossible is the dark blue strap unlesss you own the advanced research, but its almost identical to the black so not worth getting.

sadly 5168 straps won’t fit as they’re 22mm

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Own the watch that it belongs to, Patek will check serial numbers and will only supply the strap for the watch its intended for, so no dice unless you own a 5167A-010

Equally impossible is the dark blue strap unlesss you own the advanced research, but its almost identical to the black so not worth getting.

sadly 5168 straps won’t fit as they’re 22mm
    Presumably there has to be more too it than that, or anyone who owns the watch would just buy a bunch of straps and be rich. Do they still supply this strap? Perhaps it's a one in one out rule by Patek?

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Presumably there has to be more too it than that, or anyone who owns the watch would just buy a bunch of straps and be rich. Do they still supply this strap? Perhaps it's a one in one out rule by Patek?
    Fairly certain, any one of the exceedingly small handful of folk that are lucky enough to own a 5167-010 wouldn't find it worth their effort selling a bunch of straps.
    To have been in a position to be own one, you'd already be rich... (and honestly it'd be pretty greedy to start scalping people for green straps)

last sold one wasn't cheap, though cheaper than i expected https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6367612

They closed the doors on being able to buy spares easily, after folk like Hodinkee started hyping up the hoarding.
    Now it's serial vs watch model check, and only if it matches can you buy a spare/replacement.

I was lucky to order the blue one... zero chance of that happening again, unless Patek decide that people are allowed to be individuals and wear the watches the way they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Fairly certain, any one of the exceedingly small handful of folk that are lucky enough to own a 5167-010 wouldn't find it worth their effort selling a bunch of straps.
    To have been in a position to be own one, you'd already be rich... (and honestly it'd be pretty greedy to start scalping people for green straps)

last sold one wasn't cheap, though cheaper than i expected https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6367612

They closed the doors on being able to buy spares easily, after folk like Hodinkee started hyping up the hoarding.
    Now it's serial vs watch model check, and only if it matches can you buy a spare/replacement.

I was lucky to order the blue one... zero chance of that happening again, unless Patek decide that people are allowed to be individuals and wear the watches the way they want to.
    I think you overestimate the rich if you think they're above being greedy

I'm sure in that John Mayer interview he made a big thing about having the straps. But he also has the watch. So presumably there's more to it then just asking for them, otherwise the whole thing doesn't make much sense (to me at least).