closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zuludiver Octopod NATO 'system'

Apprentice

Zuludiver Octopod NATO 'system'

Any thoughts on this: https://www.zuludiver.com/collection...8M-M%3D.Th3ST3

I can't decide if its a very clever idea or inordinately unecessary...

So it’s essentially a buckle for strips of material? I assume the only straps available are from ZD for that buckle?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So it’s essentially a buckle for strips of material? I assume the only straps available are from ZD for that buckle?
    I don’t see why you couldn’t use any nato, elastic, nylon or leather with the deployant. I’m not alone with a collection of old NATO’s that I could unstitch and remove the hardware and reuse.

It's a clever bit of marketing, since it is somewhat different in a world of me-too options, but the implementation is clumsy - too bulky, too much metal to get scratched-up by desk-diving operations... The weight is likely counter to what you expect with woven straps.

Has anyone used a locking cam buckle design - would allow for infinite adjustability, quick changes, minimal materials...? Something like this if the hotlinked image shows -

Hotlinked shows. Never seen or used it on a watch but have had belts on the same system. Carhartt and Arcteryx sell a lot of them. Infinite adjustment and even with the belly bulge testing it’s limits, never once faulted.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    ... even with the belly bulge testing it’s limits, never once faulted.
    O/T usefulness there, noted, thanks

At first I thought, great... But the buckle looks very long and there is a lot of metal there which may and probably will overwhelm the strap.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Timefactors offer a two piece nato with deployant clasp for £12.

That’s not a nato though, it’s a two-piece canvas strap.
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    That’s not a nato though, it’s a two-piece canvas strap.
    "Manufactured from the same high-quality nylon used for the Time Factors NATO straps, the straps are constructed from 2 layers of 1.2mm thick nylon, stitched together to give a thickness of 2.4mm and fitted with a nylon keeper. With no nylon at the back of the watch, this allows the watch to sit lower on the wrist."

Did I mention the 12 quid?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    At first I thought, great... But the buckle looks very long and there is a lot of metal there which may and probably will overwhelm the strap.
    My thoughts exactly - a 'changeable' buckle seems a good idea, but this one looks far too bulky on a single pass NATO (which is supposed to be less obtrusive then a standard NATO). Think I'll stick with my CNS adjustable single pass NATOs.

I just thought it looked a PITA to swap straps and get the right fit straight away, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post

Good luck trying to order one

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Good luck trying to order one
    Fair point.
    Supreme value for money offset by consciously restricted availability. How curious.

Master
    I bought one,
    sits nicely on my 8 inch wrist, i can see however that it may be too big on wrists under 7 1/2 inches.

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    I bought one,
    sits nicely on my 8 inch wrist, i can see however that it may be too big on wrists under 7 1/2 inches.

maseman
    I can't find this thread on tapatalk so i'll post a pic in watch talk.

maseman

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    I can't find this thread on tapatalk so i'll post a pic in watch talk.

maseman
    Foundi it now !!

On my omega nttd
    It’s actually very comfortable. The fabric is stretchy like the Erika straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted these dimensions in the strap thread in watch talk but just in case anyone looks here. Dimensions of the 22mm clasp

Width - 25.3mm
    Length - 49mm
    Thickness - 6.2mm

Initial faff to fit the strap but you soon get the knack. I’ve been wearing it for a few days now - conclusion is I’ve always liked clasps on non-bracelet straps and find them very practical and wearable so this is more of the same. I also like how it looks. MNs always seem to need tightening, this doesn’t, but maybe I buy cheap ones!

Judged purely on utility, unless you feel compelled to try it, an MN will do fine. So buy it if you like it because it’s not something game changing (within in the context of just a watch strap).

I’d echo that, Matt - I do like the Erika’s MNs I have (generally find the cheaper ones too flimsy/thin to secure the watch head) but they’re silly expensive now.

My main concern with the Octopod was whether the elastic is heavy duty (like an Erika’s) or thinner. It’s very similar to the Erika’s and works really well with my Planet Ocean, the gold standard test for strap robustness, IMO. Yes, initial sizing is a faff, but it’s secure and the clasp is comfortable for me at least.