closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina & Powermatic movements opinions

Certina & Powermatic movements opinions

A bit of advise and opinions please
    I have been looking at the new certina Titanium watch for some time, now it is available I am considering a purchase. My question is has anyone owned one of their watches especially a titanium one and is the Powermatic movement any good as regards timekeeping and longevity, any input appreciated.

I have owned some but not titanium. They are the same quality as all other swatch group brands in the same price range, so Hamilton and Tissot etc.

Powermatics are very accurate, my ones were easily within COSC i feel.

I never had to service or repair one but i seem to recall that they need to go back to swatch for repair, maybe they don`t sell the parts to non swatch watchmakers but not 100% sure.

There are several grades of powermatic 80, from memory the mid or higher range version is worth getting if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I have owned some but not titanium. They are the same quality as all other swatch group brands in the same price range, so Hamilton and Tissot etc.

Powermatics are very accurate, my ones were easily within COSC i feel.

I never had to service or repair one but i seem to recall that they need to go back to swatch for repair, maybe they don`t sell the parts to non swatch watchmakers but not 100% sure.

There are several grades of powermatic 80, from memory the mid or higher range version is worth getting if possible.
    Thanks for the input

Craftsman
    Adding to the above, I've not had a titanium Certina but two PH200's and a PH500. The powermatics in all three were well within COSC, I still have the PH500 which is consistently +1 sec per day and a keeper for me.

Master
    I'll echo the above regarding the movement which I had in a Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba. It was consistently accurate and the 80 hour claim is not a boast. It was a nice piece and only left the watch box because my lad kept mithering me for it.

Craftsman
    The Powermatic 80 movement appears to be utilised widely in the Swatch group as a friend of mine has the Tissot Gentleman T-Classic 40mm and it keeps time better than my Longines Hydroconquest did when it was new back in 2017! Whatever else they’ve done to the 2824-derived movement (other than the silicon mainspring?) I’m not sure, but it appears to be an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, all the input is positive so I will get one ordered

The problem with Powermatic is it is fine till it runs well.
    It cannot be regulated most likely and certainly not by anyone other than Swatch service Center
    They are supposedly accurate and don’t need regulation but if it does need it , send it back to Swatch and most likely they will replace it. Supposedly it has a synthetic escapement and has to be regulated by some laser equipment. It is just easier for the company to replace it. Either with another powermatic or if you go to another watchmaker with an ETA.

Have two Powermatic 80s, a Certina and a Hamilton. Both use the C07.611 (Hamilton call it the H-10). Both have been consistently very accurate from new.

For reference there are currently 3 versions of the Powermatic:
    C07.1XX; synthetic escapement.
    C07.6XX; regular escapement.
    C07.8XX; silicon hair spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Have two Powermatic 80s, a Certina and a Hamilton. Both use the C07.611 (Hamilton call it the H-10). Both have been consistently very accurate from new.

For reference there are currently 3 versions of the Powermatic:
    C07.1XX; synthetic escapement.
    C07.6XX; regular escapement.
    C07.8XX; silicon hair spring.
    Certina also have a powermatic 80 that has a fancy nivachron hairspring in some watch models.

I have nothing but good things to say about my PH200, it's also very quiet, I don't notice it charging the mechanism unless I hold it up to my ear.