closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cost of ownership thoughts

Patek didn’t come through with the 5167, yet. Initially delayed with lockdown/shutdown etc. I need to chase them up, urgently.

The sale of a 5711 would help with quite a few things, but yes mortgage reduction. Probably should have bought a rental property on maximum leverage before the rates increased, although they are still relatively low.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm almost with you on this, Mick. I'm seriously thinking of reducing to 5 watches pretty much straight away, and including in those moved on my two higher value watches that need to be declared. I reckon that'll save me a shedload of hassle in addition to about £800-900 per annum in insurance costs. I have a week or two to make a decision before my new as-is premium kicks in.
    I do enjoy a 'reduction' thread. Post of the current set if you're inclined to, you can crowd source suggestions on the 5 to hold on to

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I do enjoy a 'reduction' thread. Post of the current set if you're inclined to, you can crowd source suggestions on the 5 to hold on to
    Haha - yes, I may do that. However, I probably know what I want to keep already, and would also like the ability to change my mind completely without looking like a dithering fool

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I think the demographics of high end watches is beginning to change. The number of people with say a dozen Rolex will reduce due to the hassle of insurance and servicing and those who do own these watches will limit them them to two or three and will leave it at that.

To be honest, three watches is really enough for anyone.
    You’re probably right. Time for the 5712 to go at some point. Dealer price seemed to be around £99k for it a few months ago though I’m sure it’s dropped since then. Originally I procured a watch like that as I loved it and wore it every day for 4 years. Now you need to think where you’re going etc. I’ve had friends mugged on their doorstep for a gold Rolex. It’s really tarnishes the ownership experience.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    You’re probably right. Time for the 5712 to go at some point. Dealer price seemed to be around £99k for it a few months ago though I’m sure it’s dropped since then. Originally I procured a watch like that as I loved it and wore it every day for 4 years. Now you need to think where you’re going etc. I’ve had friends mugged on their doorstep for a gold Rolex. It’s really tarnishes the ownership experience.

At that money you don't need to justify cashing it in. You'd be nuts not to unless you're rolling in cash anyway.

Blimey about those doorstep muggings... sheesh, people, are getting desperate, bold.

I've shifted off my Rolexes recently. Too much associated aggro with the brand nowadays and a nice windfall with prices as they are.

Mind you, I never did insure them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Blog Entries
    I’ve had friends mugged on their doorstep for a gold Rolex.
    Good grief. Where was this, may I ask?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Good grief. Where was this, may I ask?
    Sutton Coldfield and it was a woman who mugged an 86 year old for a gold day date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the point where watches add that much to your home premium, is it not more cost-effective to have a separate watch insurance policy? No idea how much they are now, but when I looked years ago it was £200-300 p.a.

^ Obviously totally dependant on the value of cover. When I was looking, premiums of 1-2% of cover were the norm - which put me off for 6 figures (not starting with a 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    At the point where watches add that much to your home premium, is it not more cost-effective to have a separate watch insurance policy? No idea how much they are now, but when I looked years ago it was £200-300 p.a.
    Will the house insurance company not up the premium anyway because having the watches in the house increases the chance of burglary?

Blog Entries
    Sutton Coldfield and it was a woman who mugged an 86 year old for a gold day date.
    Thanks.

Commiserations to your friend.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Policies have become very expensive now.