closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longest one watch streak …

Master
    Blog Entries

Longest one watch streak …

Watching that YT about the 1016 that was repaired following the sea water damage of the guy who wore it for life … I was wondering what peoples longest streak of continuous wearing of a single watch is/was?

I guess as collectors many don’t follow this path as they rotate through a collection.

I was a one watch guy until I found this place whilst the watch was away at service. Now I rotate between 3.

However prior to that I wore this Zenith every day for 18 years, it was an engagement gift from my now wife.

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick. Model 02.0473.670

What are peoples longest streak and with which watch?

I worn a Omega Seamaster 2254 for ten years. My only watch during that time.

Discovered this forum in 2013 and it’s been down hill ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 weeks...maybe. That seems to be the maximum length of time before a honeymoon period of a new watch wears off and it goes into rotation with my others.

Craftsman
    I wore my Rolex GMT-II from 2003-2018, so 15 years give or take, with perhaps a handful of days when I’d wear my Bulova Accutron, purloined from my father and given some TLC. So not quite “one watch”, but close!

In 2018 and 2019 I did quite a lot of travelling to far flung places (remember those days?) and so got a couple of holiday beaters and I think got more active here which was a slippery slope.

These days I tend to rotate though 3-4 watches, usually weeks at a time.
    Last edited by threescoops; 24th June 2022 at 22:19.

Master
    I bought an Omega Constellation in 1986 and wore it every day until 2014 when it got soaked and I bought a Rolex Explorer. Roughly 28 years.

My father had a small Mondia that he bought in Capetown in 1942 whilst on Naval service and wore it every day until his death in 1973. That was 31 years. I bet there are millions like this.

Master
    Well, I wore one model, the F-91W for 15 years, albeit multiple examples thereof, if that counts.
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 25th June 2022 at 07:36.

Craftsman
    Had a Tag Heuer from 1997 until the early 2000's. Then bought a sub date and wore that continuously until 2009.

In 2010 I bought some more watches, and I've never worn a watch more than one week continuously since (save for holidays, and even then I take 2 watches).

Normally I change watches once or twice a day. My god.

Craftsman
    I bought a Submariner 116610LN in 2012 and wore it as my daily driver until May last year (when I sold it to buy…. A Submariner 124060), that’s nine years. Nothing else has come close.

Blog Entries
    For me, a few days for a new watch and then into the rotation.

A Seiko from 1977 to 1999. Albeit that I also occasionally wore another Seiko that my now wife bought me in about 1980-1982.

In the past 15 years the longest period that I have worn the same watch each day is wearing a Daytona for about 60 days and a GMT Master for 70 days. On each occasion I became bored after that time, with the accuracy experiment. IIRC the Daytona was still spot on, with the GMT wildly inaccurate having gained 13 seconds over the period.

My father gave me his Seiko 5 in about 1995, that he bought new in about 1969 - and think he wore that every single day until it passed to me.
    26yrs. (Never serviced it either, and it never had a fault that I’m aware of)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was a one watch guy till i was about 8 or 9 :p, But if we are basing it on 1 main wearer:

1989-1995 - G-Shock AW-500
    1995-1998 - Swatch Irony Chrono
    1998-2000 - Baby G (i know right? But it was the late 90s)
    2000-2008 - 16610
    2008-2012 - Mostly 16600

Post 2012 - i doubt i’ve gone too long without rotating to something else, but there were constant main wearers

2014-2017 was mostly an AP of sorts
    2017-2019 was usually some kinda Moser
    2019-2021 Moser or Patek
    2022 - Submersible or Submariner

I've still got my TAG SEL chrono which was the watch I bought with my first proper wage in the 80s

Can't compete with many on here but this was worn 24/7 from I think '94 for around 10-15 years. Been worn on and off since and still like to wear it now tbh.

Carries so many great memories for me, happy I still have it.

Apprentice
    Bought my Sub in the early 80s and wore it daily for probably 20+ years. Now I wear it periodically in a rotation.

Longest one watch streak …

A GMT Master 16700 LN from 2000 to 2017, at which point I traded it for a 116710 LN.

Blog Entries
    Now - probably 3 days until I switch to another. Better question is: how many watches bought/sold per month is more appropriate on TZ?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some long stints above, what happens for a one watch guy to turn into a collector?

Master
    14yrs on my Omega constellation until my eyes wandered to a submariner and I found this place. I think the sub purchase vs current value may offset everything else this place has cost me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Some long stints above, what happens for a one watch guy to turn into a collector?
    Joining this forum…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Joining this forum…
    Exactly, it has been ruinous.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    12+ years or so with a seiko kinetic arctura.
    Got into watches when its capacitor and rubber/bracelet eventually gave up the ghost and I was looking for a replacement automatic watch.

Apprentice
    I wore a Tissot PR50 chronograph from 1994 until it broke in about 2020. Then I ended up here.

I had a Casio AW43-7E1V from around 8-23 that ate more replacement straps and batteries than the purchase price by many times over I suspect. If we count from when I started my interest in watches and bought for myself rather than having them bought for me, pre-pandemic, probably about a month? As it is I've ended up shelving almost all my collection in favour of a Casio GBX-100NS for the past year as I'm no longer office based and I've found that actually just having something cheap, lightweight and able to ping me a notification from my phone when I'm away from it rather useful.

Currently about 4 years since I got my Defy 21, wore it every day since getting it. Previously to that a Omega AT that I had for maybe 5 years. Can see me keeping the defy for the foreseeable future.

I used to destroy cheap Seikos on an almost monthly basis. I got fed up with that so treated myself to one of these in the late 90's:
    DSC_0808
    I wore it for about 12 years straight. I went white water kayaking, paragliding & even caving regularly and soaked it all up without ever even looking scratched. Lightweight and comfortable.

Then one night I pushed something onto my cluttered bedside table and heard the watch drop off the other side into the waste paper basket. Half alseep I figured I'd get it in the morning... It was of course the one and only time my wife got up before me and emptied the bins.

It took three years to find a replacement on ebay, during which time I purchased a few more ebay watches that I couldn't resist and a collection was born.

I lost the replacement T660 a couple of years ago, and duly sourced a replacement for the replacement. A mint condition unworn example. And then a month later I found the original replacement. That's why there are two in the pic.

Nowerdays I barely manage a week without getting bored and swapping.

I've never been a one watch guy. From the time I started with an Invicta diver way back in the late 1990s, I went from watch to watch after that always in search of something different. When I bought a Breitling Steelfish 44, I wore that for a long while, but I always drifted. Omega, Dreadnought, prs-14, vintage Breitling, Doxas, Seiko, Citizen, microbrands, etc etc. When I bought a Steinhart "Batman" GMT in Dec 2019, I wore that one almost exclusively for almost 2 years, but I eventually got sick of it and then picked up my Hamilton pilot chronograph for a few months, before getting my old Hamilton Khaki chronograph repaired and now I am smitten with that despite its considerable wabi'd case. I even sold off a few watches recently. The idea , though, of wearing one watch for 10-15+ years exclusively, is alien to me.

Craftsman
    I have rarely kept a watch for more than a couple of years but still have an old Citizen divers that is languishing in the bottom of a drawer that i bought in the Canaries back in 1996 and it occasionally still gets a bit of wrist time.

This has been an interesting exercise. I’ve been keeping a record of my watch wearing for a couple of years. Over that time, the mean has been twenty days on the wrist and the median fifteen days.

There are five streaks of more than one month, and these probably give insight into my favoured timepieces:

1. 81 days - CWC GS
    2. 65 days - CWC GS
    3. 47 days - CWC Mellor 72
    4. 40 days - CWC Mellor 72
    5. 34 days - Smiths Military PRS-29AM