closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old Hamilton Help

Old Hamilton Help

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with this.
    I found it in a box of stuff being thrown out of an old house.
    It's stamped Hamilton, 14KGOLD 56W on the back and with a rolled gold Fixo-Flex expanding bracelet.
    It winds, but runs for less than a minute and the hands won't set when the crown is pulled out.
    The dial is filthy and is approx 27mm and case 32mm including the crown.

I'm assuming it's old, but I don't know how old, and a manual movement but I'm not confident in taking the back off.
    I've had a search on t'interweb but can't find anything like it.
    It's a cute little thing and I'd like to get it running again.
    Thanks for any help.

Whilst I can’t help a great deal I would hazard a guess at this being late 40s / early 50s
    Hamilton in this era were a very good watch maker, it’s likely to have a quality movement inside. I think it is well worth getting up and running, not sure the dial would clean up much but it’s looks like it could be a redial - sorry reprinted dial (just in case we get some members getting in to a hissy fit again), the Hamilton logo is not centred on the 12 and the minute track is way off.
    The styling is very much of their time, think Cadillacs with fins and rocket intakes etc. I think they are cool.
    It’s a nice find.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th June 2022 at 18:21.

Thanks for that.
    On closer inspection what I thought was 56W is in fact S&W which is the stamp for Schwab and Wuischpard.
    S&W were case makers for Hamilton but not sure of the dates.
    Also, the marker at 8 has disappeared.
    H
    Last edited by hopak; 24th June 2022 at 19:17.

I have "more than a few" old Hamiltons in my collection so I invested in a copy of "Hamilton Wristwatches A Collectors Guide" by Rene Rondeau a few years ago.
    Its a very comprehensive book and shows your watch as produced with black or silver/white dials. Hamilton gave names to all their watches and yours is "Fleetwood" dating from 1949.
    The movement will be Hamiltons own ( I will dig out a Shugart and try to identify the calibre when I get a chance tomorrow) but it will be quality.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    I have "more than a few" old Hamiltons in my collection so I invested in a copy of "Hamilton Wristwatches A Collectors Guide" by Rene Rondeau a few years ago.
    Its a very comprehensive book and shows your watch as produced with black or silver/white dials. Hamilton gave names to all their watches and yours is "Fleetwood" dating from 1949.
    The movement will be Hamiltons own ( I will dig out a Shugart and try to identify the calibre when I get a chance tomorrow) but it will be quality.
    That's it!
    Thank you.
    The Fleetwood, 18 jewel 748 in house movement.
    When I searched for it this came up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL0_vOw6eCc

It's for the 747 calibre but a great video.