closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Father of the bride speech

Father of the bride speech

I have the pleasure of giving the father of the bride speech for my daughter in a few weeks. The pair of them have a six year old son and have been together 20 years. Due to Covid the wedding has been cancelled 3 times. I have a frame work of what I want to say, it will have humour and a bit of schmaltz ....have any others carried out this pleasurable duty? How did your talk go??

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Brilliant!

Master
    Fantastic- I did earlier this year, my eldest daughter
    It pretty daunting (or was for me ) I broke it down over a few rough topics then filled them out -
    I think maybe not to overthink it - I’d say don’t watch any online - they’re way too go and might leave you feeling you need to match them
    Just speak from the heart- I ‘stumbled’ a little but made it all the more ‘real’
    Try to relax and enjoy
    Any excuse for a reminder of a fab day
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Not done this yet (thanks to COVID and Party Dude Boris), but I was best man at a couple of weddings and gave a eulogy at my father's funeral.

My advice, write down some notes, not word for word what you're going to say, but at least the topics you want to cover, otherwise when you find the eyes of the whole room on you, you may simply forget what you were going to say.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Fantastic- I did earlier this year, my eldest daughter
    It pretty daunting (or was for me ) I broke it down over a few rough topics then filled them out -
    I think maybe not to overthink it - I’d say don’t watch any online - they’re way too go and might leave you feeling you need to match them
    Just speak from the heart- I ‘stumbled’ a little but made it all the more ‘real’
    Try to relax and enjoy
    Any excuse for a reminder of a fab day
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Wonderful

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did a eulogy for my best friend of 55 years I wrote it all down rehearsed it over and over, when the day came I never looked at the words, I knew what I wanted to say and to be honest it sounded a whole lot better. Just remember the bones of what to put down on paper it will be great.

Master
    A note of basic must haves and then ad lib, when I suggested the two most important words in marriage were? my wife-unscripted- piped up “yes dear”, brilliant, only heckler was my mother in law. Get the speeches done early before too much drink or time passes, less time for nerves.

I have watched hundreds of wedding speeches over the years, FOB is a nice one as its normally personal, dedicated to the bride and dont go on too long, sometimes they go off track and sometimes they drag on and on and on and........

5 to 7 minutes is a good time zone, keeps people engaged and long enough to say the right things along with a humorous story or two and a toast, longer than 10 mins I see eyes glazing..

Father of the bride speech

Per above, don’t make the mistake of trying to remember a word-for-word script. It usually comes out wooden and if one loses one’s place it can become awkward. Best to have a good idea of what you want to cover and have cards with them in bullet points.
    Remember it’s your daughter’s wedding, don’t let worrying about your speech spoil your enjoyment of what comes before, and DON’T DRINK TOO MUCH Beforehand :wink: