closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some automotive classics

Master

Some automotive classics

I've recently put a car into auction, a world never visited by me before.

There are some real classics including blasts from the past and also some from before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes.

https://m.facebook.com/baronsclassiccarauctioneers/

Reminiscing re the Scirocco Storm
    https://www.barons-auctions.com/view...o-mark-1-storm

As for this 1965 Merc 190 (which has been driven by Surtees and Moss) - how cool would this be (It's just I would need a garage to keep it in).
    https://www.barons-auctions.com/view...edes-benz-190c

Such variety, just fun browsing...

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Classic car world is where i mostly spend my time if you love cars its a fantastic place to spend time. I love to talk to owners about their love for the cars they own, some are quite interesting. I also love to browse a cars history file from way back, i have the history from mine back to 1976 so only missing the first two years. Mine has its own garage with matching floor.

I've found myself enjoying classics more and more as I get older but I'd never involved myself in auctions. Last spring I decided my 1970 911T had to go and I'd heard a lot of good things about my local auction house, Manor Park Classics in Runcorn. To cut a long story short, I chatted to them, went to see the facility where they store and auction and decided to crack on.

I had an amazing day at the auction itself. I'd thought of auctions as grubby, high-paced affairs for regular cars and stuffy, slightly poncey occasions for the classic stuff. This was neither - the auction halls were bright and roomy, the cars were well presented, the range of stuff went from starter classics to £100k plus, there was food and drink, loads of like-minded folk to talk to and the auctioneer was friendly, down to earth and went through the process at a relaxed pace. My car didn't hit reserve but I wasn't gutted as I'd had a great experience. What I hadn't appreciated was how much goes on behind the scenes after the auction, with deals struck during the week or so that followed. My Porsche ultimately sold a few days after the auction for just under my original reserve, with my agreement obviously.

I'd got the bug and started visiting regularly. There are 3 viewing days before the auction where you can just wander round and look at the cars which are great because it's all very chilled and you end up in some cracking car conversations. I didn't buy or sell in the next couple of auctions but then I wasn't able to make it to one in person and found myself bidding online and nabbing a super low mile '99 SLK that I'd seen on a viewing day. It really is almost too easy to have a bid...

Cut to a couple of months later and I'm a bit bored having retired early from a 25 year career in the law and a role on the team at Manor Park Classics pops up on my Facebook feed - well, it would be rude not to... So on Tuesday I started a job where I could finally indulge my 45 year passion for all things automotive.

Classic car auctions are wonderful things whether you're buying, selling or just browsing, virtually or in person, and I'd encourage anyone with petrol in their veins to pop along to their local auction to see what it's all about. If anyone's near Runcorn and wants to stick their head in for a look, a chat and a coffee, drop me a PM.

Just for fun, this was the star car in December's auction...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a soft spot for classics,this was my last one.I’m a tad old to twiddle spanners now.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 5th January 2023 at 12:21. Reason: Add image

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    The Classic car world is where i mostly spend my time if you love cars its a fantastic place to spend time. I love to talk to owners about their love for the cars they own, some are quite interesting. I also love to browse a cars history file from way back, i have the history from mine back to 1976 so only missing the first two years. Mine has its own garage with matching floor.

That is lovely. The TR6 is my favourite TR and still relatively affordable.

Had a clearout last year.
    These are with new loving owners:

But I still have this as a daily driver:

All while I get round to respraying my true love:

Some nice ones there uncle!

First one a Jowett Javelin?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Loving those from the 50s also the Moggy van and Herald

Blog Entries
    Mine

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the blue on the TR and Saab looks like it just wants to go, so forward pointing if you know what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Some nice ones there uncle!

First one a Jowett Javelin?
    Well spotted.
    From the top:
    1950 Jowett Javelin
    1971 Post Office Telephones Morris 6cwt van
    1936 Standard Flying Nine (whoever called these "Flying" must have won the Optimist of the Year Award)
    1967 Triumph Herald 13/60 (despite the earlier style bonnet) Convertible
    1966 Morris Minor 1000 saloon

and of course the Riley RM Series, of which I have a few. This one is a 1952 2 1/2 litre RMF.

Here's one from the 80s that I've been looking at recently. One day maybe.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1457703

And the video directly.

Last edited by Skier; 5th January 2023 at 19:49.

Master
    I love that Merc, just gorgeous. Drive it and feel like a 1960's Bond villain.

https://www.dukeoflondon.co.uk/stock?page=3

I had a shufftie around here yesterday. The GT500 was a peach even if it is a fake. The 325 convertible was immaculate.

Blog Entries
    And then there's this... for sale only a few miles from where I live. I know the car; it was in the workshop about 10 yrs ago.

The owner wanted a smooth running car. It ran smooth when it left the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    And then there's this... for sale only a few miles from where I live. I know the car; it was in the workshop about 10 yrs ago.

Now that’s a proper car!

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I can dig up some old pics of the car; I'll search.

That's handsome!

An Alfa Menno?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    It's a 1938 Alfa 8C according to the Dutch DVLA. It's not (as you see often with Maserati Birdcages) a replica. Mind you, I don't know if this car started its life as a cabriolet. There was a coupe version as well, I think and a lot were converted to cabrios during their lifetime.

Not really a bad thing; the car is from an era when a rich person bought a chassis and the body was then installed at a bodyshop. Around the same time as the Alfa, there was a Packard in the shop. That car started its life as a 'chassis only' and was built into a 'town car' (4 doors, open driver's part and separate closed passenger part) at Saoutchik in France for a rich Parisian banker. Honestly I don't know how that car turned up at in a farm barn nearby! What I do know about that Packard is the availability of the tech parts: Off the shelf in the US!

It's a 1938 Alfa 8C according to the Dutch DVLA. It's not (as you see often with Maserati Birdcages) a replica. Mind you, I don't know if this car started its life as a cabriolet. There was a coupe version as well, I think and a lot were converted to cabrios during their lifetime.

Not really a bad thing; the car is from an era when a rich person bought a chassis and the body was then installed at a bodyshop. Around the same time as the Alfa, there was a Packard in the shop. That car started its life as a 'chassis only' and was built into a 'town car' (4 doors, open driver's part and separate closed passenger part) at Saoutchik in France for a rich Parisian banker. Honestly I don't know how that car turned up at in a farm barn nearby! What I do know about that Packard is the availability of the tech parts: Off the shelf in the US!
    Packard - lovely cars.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What are the everyday practicalities of running classic cars now? Valve seats changed, or use additive such as Castrol lead replacement?

What are your feelings on the availability of petrol in say, 10 years time? Will it be E40 or something stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    What are the everyday practicalities of running classic cars now? Valve seats changed, or use additive such as Castrol lead replacement?

What are your feelings on the availability of petrol in say, 10 years time? Will it be E40 or something stupid?
    Personally I would say that the main motives are cheap motoring, ability to repair just about anything myself, the social factor, both with owners' clubs and a surprising amount of pleasantry with modern vehicle owners.

Some of my classics don't need any machining to cope with E5/E10 fuel, but do need ethanol-resistant components, all of which are commercially or via the owners' clubs available.

The low running costs ( tax, insurance etc) are offset to a degree by the need for a "modern" before most insurance companies will issue a classic vehicle policy. So I do have a little Peugeot to use as a runabout, though tbh I usually prefer the Morris Minor; I have an image to live down to.

One thing I would advise is that the mindset needed to run a classic is way different from the modern car owner. They are more idiosychratic, need much more time spending on maintenance checks and procedures (last time you greased your nipples?) and would not imho be an ideal choice for someone unable or unwilling to perform most or all maintenance and repair onesself. Be aware of the Moneypit Monster.

As regards fuel availability - lap of the Gods. In 10 years I suspect I may be more anxious about getting oxygen than petrol!

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post

As regards fuel availability - lap of the Gods. In 10 years I suspect I may be more anxious about getting oxygen than petrol!
    Thank you, there is now beer all over the coffee table!

Blog Entries
    I knew I had some photos of the car when I saw it years ago - with my TR in the background!

Blog Entries
    When going through a bunch of old pics with cars in front of the shop, I found these as well... Lightweight 3.0 CSL. Not in for repairs. This car is simply bombproof.

I remember the day the car was in this spot. Two German car buyers/dealers came to pick up a TR6 that they'd bought and that was in the shop for the time being. They saw the CSL and started bidding when they'd found out who the owner was. Crazy money offers, I tell you. But not for sale.

The owner of the BMW has an original M1 as well. No, not the poxy BWM 1Series with an M-badge that you see on the roads these days, but the 80s supercar with the M1 badge (a white car). Sadly, he doesn't show it very often...

... and an Aston with a body by Superleggera. I remember that opening the bonnet felt as if you turn the page of a newspaper! The alloy is paper-thin and oh so easily bend. Pulling you of cloud 9 when you see a car like this: the parts for this car are raided from every contemporary British carmaker of that era. This car needed a new clutch. A straight-from-the-shelf Jaguar item!

And yes, both are 'the real deals' no replicas.
    Last edited by thieuster; 10th January 2023 at 21:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    And both are stunning Menno

All gorgeous, but that Alfa is sublime. The rakes over the rear wheels are unusual and very stylish - any more info about them?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries
    When going through a bunch of old pics with cars in front of the shop, I found these as well... Lightweight 3.0 CSL. Not in for repairs. This car is simply bombproof.

I remember the day the car was in this spot. Two German car buyers/dealers came to pick up a TR6 that they'd bought and that was in the shop for the time being. They saw the CSL and started bidding when they'd found out who the owner was. Crazy money offers, I tell you. But not for sale.

The owner of the BMW has an original M1 as well. No, not the poxy BWM 1Series with an M-badge that you see on the roads these days, but the 80s supercar with the M1 badge (a white car). Sadly, he doesn't show it very often...

... and an Aston with a body by Superleggera. I remember that opening the bonnet felt as if you turn the page of a newspaper! The alloy is paper-thin and oh so easily bend. Pulling you off cloud 9 when you see a car like this: the parts for this car are raided from every contemporary British carmaker of that era. This car needed a new clutch. A straight-from-the-shelf Jaguar item!

And yes, both are 'the real deals' no replicas.
    I’ll look for some additional pics.