closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; BMW 700

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; BMW 700

Two threads this week. But this one is perhaps even more rare than the Aston!!!

Well, this is indeed a very rare beast. A BMW 700 cabrio. Originally, only 2500 were built (out nearly 200,000 in total) according to Wiki. It was BMW’s first car without a separate chassis.

And how many have survived the period between the mid-60s when production was halted and today? According to the owner, the cabrios were the first to ‘go’, due to leakage and structural flaws…

Originally they were designed as a saloon/coupe. The additional strenght needed to cut this model into a cabrio is perhaps an example of German 50s engineering, but that strenght was achieved by layering sheet metal on sheet metal… with no rust protection. A flaw when you want to preserve the car. The rust stays hidden between the layers... As the owner says: “One day you have a nice car, the next day you see rust holes the size of Amsterdam!

50s German cars were often rear-engined and air-cooled. Porsche is perhaps the greatest example of all. But there were more: VW, this BMW and NSU (now Audi). This one has a 2 cyl boxer engine. Indeed, like the BMW motorbikes! The two carbs give it away as the 'Sport' model with 40hp.

Early 20th century Germany was really far ahead when it came to producing rear-engined, air-cooled cars. Between the two world wars, brands like Hanomag, Adler and even Mercedes were experimenting with rear-engined, air-cooled cars. In Czechoslovakia, Tatra was far ahead with their 8 cyl monsters and they even had a small, VW-Beetle like model on the drawing table - and even a handful were made. Hans Ledwinka and Ferdi Porsche were the leading men in that field.
    Perhaps it's an urban legend, but I once read/heard that Hitler's during his 20's failed attempt to overthrow the German government was chauffeured around in a rear-engined, air-cooled car. Why air-cooled? The mid-European climate a century ago was harsh: hot summers, cold winters. And those cars were capable of driving in those conditions. Furthermore: they were easier to produce and needed less parts! The owner is hunting for an aircooled 8 cyl. Tatra. The famous Hans Ledwinka design. I can’t wait! But I don't want to drive it. Read this: https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war....html?safari=1

'Cheap' was also the reason that BMW came up with this model every website mentions the importance of this model: BMW was nearly bankrupt and it needed a good selling model. Enter the 700. It was cheap and easy to produce (not the cabrio's) and it gave BMW ample time to come up with their Neuer Klasse that was launched in 1962. If you think that you see something like a Triumph Herald, well then you’re right. Michellotti who designed this car, also drew the Herald, the Dolomite and the DAF55 (to name a few).

Nearly forgot: this car simply needs a service. That’s all! And parts supply is easy: you can get parts from Germany and these are delivered within 24 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th June 2022 at 20:29.

Master
    That’s a car I have never heard of before, never mind seen.
    Thanks for posting.

Pete

Interesting car.
    Interesting too that the Dutch seem not to have given up on the traditional garage wall decorations, which are much rarer in the UK than they used to be......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll View Post
    That’s a car I have never heard of before, never mind seen.
    Thanks for posting.

Pete
    Likewise and I thought I was a big bmw nerd!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Interesting car.
    Interesting too that the Dutch seem not to have given up on the traditional garage wall decorations, which are much rarer in the UK than they used to be......
    Classic cars, classic shop decorations.

My US friend Don, who's a regular at Goodwood and Monaco sent me this picture after I'd sent him this thead pic. He took this pic during a previous FoS.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's this car: https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...-bmw-700-coupe
    Last edited by thieuster; 26th June 2022 at 18:07.

I love oddball cars and models that are rarely seen, in fact that were rarely seen when they were contemporary - especially ones that are used as that 700 appears to be. Lovely Menno!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I love oddball cars and models that are rarely seen, in fact that were rarely seen when they were contemporary - especially ones that are used as that 700 appears to be. Lovely Menno!

About oddball cars... I spotted an Austin Princess in green with a black vinyl roof this afternoon! These are uncommon here, I can tell you. According to the Dutch DVLA, only 35 are known with valid plates. That's including the number of cars with plates while rotting away in a lock-up garage.

^^^My dad had the last iteration of the Austin Princess as a company car back in the day, the wedge shape 1700cc version. The colour was mint green with a black vinyl roof!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ^^^My dad had the last iteration of the Austin Princess as a company car back in the day, the wedge shape 1700cc version. The colour was mint green with a black vinyl roof!
    Yep, this one was a sort of mint-ish green as well!