closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dyson Hot + Cool fans - the TZ verdict?

Dyson Hot + Cool fans - the TZ verdict?

Quite a seasonal thread given the heatwave!

Every year my wife wants one, every year I suggest that for the week of hot weather we get, it's probably not worth it. However with a baby in the house now, it would probably help with night sleeping for all....

However. Are these effective or just a bit of clever marketing?
    Are there any better alternatives (as if often the case when one brand has seemingly claimed the popularity contest)

https://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-hea...-cool-overview

https://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-heaters

I've got this one - it's great although I also have air con for when it is too hot. It also purifies the air

Master
    My boss has one and it makes a difference in the office which isn’t huge but shared with up to 6 people, plus computers etc all helping warm it up, if I wasn’t so tight I’d buy one

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I've got this one - it's great although I also have air con for when it is too hot. It also purifies the air
    Would you recommend it?

Is it this model? "Dyson Purifier HEPA Cool™ Formaldehyde purifying fan" - Pricey at 549!
    https://www.dyson.co.uk/air-treatmen...l-formaldehyde

edit: no, looks like it's this one :
    "Dyson Pure Cool™ purifying fan" at 349
    https://www.dyson.co.uk/air-treatmen...ool-tower-tp00
    Last edited by cman; 22nd June 2022 at 17:35.

Master
    I have one in my study, it is a good product but in reality little more than a refined fan heater, it does not "cool" air, it merely circulates like a fan.

I have a Meaco fan https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco...air-circulator in my bedroom. It is not the greatest looking thing but achieves results at least as good as the Dyson at a third of the cost. Settings 1 & 2 are really quiet and generate decent airflow. Higher settings really shift some air and it has a nice feature to switch off all the displays at night.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Would you recommend it?

Is it this model? "Dyson Purifier HEPA Coolâ„¢ Formaldehyde purifying fan" - Pricey at 549!
    https://www.dyson.co.uk/air-treatmen...l-formaldehyde

edit: no, looks like it's this one :
    "Dyson Pure Coolâ„¢ purifying fan" at 349
    https://www.dyson.co.uk/air-treatmen...ool-tower-tp00
    I think it's the previous model of the £549 one.

When it’s 50% of the cost of an aircon system installed why waste your money on the Dyson, only win is it’s portable, Dyson marketing does it again

Big fan of their vacuum cleaners, but they have invented something that doesn’t need inventing.

Buy a £15 fan from Argos.

Oh wait this is TZ, and we could replace our Rolex or Omega with a £10 Casio from Argos. Given this, maybe a £500 fan is justified if you have money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    When it’s 50% of the cost of an aircon system installed why waste your money on the Dyson, only win is it’s portable, Dyson marketing does it again
    I have one and wish I had got air con. Really don’t see the benefit of Dyson over a normal fan.

Master
    I have one but find it very noisy vs a normal fan for a lower air output.

I recent purchased a Duux fan for the bedroom as our 20yr old fan will die at some point. Really impressed with it - wifi and app control and is the most quiet fan I’ve ever owned.

Little shorter than a usual pedestal fan but for half the price of a dyson I would rather have 2 of these in the house. It is so well executed.

If you do consider the AC route, unless you can get split system installed, beware how noisy the portable AC units are. The dB readings just don't communicate what it's like to be in a room with one, especially at night.

Master
    Blog Entries

Another big +1 for the Meaco fan options. Excellent fans, lots of settings, quiet and effective. The Dyson fans are a heavy premium to pay for branding in my honest opinion, functionally I'd take the Meaco any day and it costs far less too.

Check out hotukdeals.com, I've seen multiple deals posted on Meaco fans this week.

I’ve got and had quite a Dysons over the years and have a much taller air purifying tower fan from them. Has Wi-Fi and an app, tells your the state of the air and can go on automatically when the air quality is low.

I also have a completely separate portable air con unit which is meant forarge rooms or a small office. Loud but unbelievably good.

I think the dyson was about £500 and the air con was £700. Would not buy the Dyson again at all. Fine for hoovers but not fans. The filter is disposable and they’re £60 a go. Can’t even clean it.

I bought one of these for in the bedroom - not as sleek looking as the Dyson but it's astonishingly quiet on low speed and makes a huge difference to comfort in the hot weather.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with a handy little remote control and has modes such as sleep timer so you can set to auto switch off after an hour etc, display panel can be switched off so no annoying light in the room when you're trying to get to sleep.

I'd absolutely recommend it and would buy one again without any hesitation.

Don’t see how any fan keeps a room cool. Personally prefer to be hot rather than be buffeted by air from a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Given this, maybe a £500 fan is justified if you have money to burn.
    Not in the slightest, unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I have a Meaco fan https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco...air-circulator in my bedroom. It is not the greatest looking thing but achieves results at least as good as the Dyson at a third of the cost. Settings 1 & 2 are really quiet and generate decent airflow. Higher settings really shift some air and it has a nice feature to switch off all the displays at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Another big +1 for the Meaco fan options. Excellent fans, lots of settings, quiet and effective. The Dyson fans are a heavy premium to pay for branding in my honest opinion, functionally I'd take the Meaco any day and it costs far less too.

Check out hotukdeals.com, I've seen multiple deals posted on Meaco fans this week.
    Better than Dyson and significantly cheaper? I'm sold!

Thanks, all.

Master
    I spent about £350 on an Arlec air conditioning unit 3 years ago, noisy but actually cools the bedroom down. I wouldn't be without some kind of air con now.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Seems similar in design and the rotation to the Duux, but this has a larger fan head. No idea how they compare beyond that.

The horizontal and vertical rotation is a game changer, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I spent about £350 on an Arlec air conditioning unit 3 years ago, noisy but actually cools the bedroom down. I wouldn't be without some kind of air con now.
    Never seen the need for AC in the UK, even living in the SE where temperatures are warmest in the summer.

Must be only 10 nights per year when the weather is uncomfortable for sleeping. Even then, a simple fan pointing at my face and upper body means I sleep like a baby even during the warmest and muggiest nights.

I also like the whirr of fan which is therapeutic for sleeping. And a fan is much more environmentally sound and much cheaper on the leccy bill.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

I have one of those Dysons from the OP. It’s just a fan. A nice fan, but no different to most other fans. I bought two pedestal fans from Argos for £20 a go and they’re just as effective.

I also have a couple of portable air con units and they’re much more effective as they actually cool the room. They’re noisy though, so I typically run them during the day be bring the temp down and then switch to fan mode overnight.

Master
    I think everything Dyson sell is down to clever marketing. It allows them to charge ridiculous amounts for decidedly ordinary products.

I've had a Dyson hot and cold fan for a few years. To be honest, it's not much better than a decent conventional option, except they look a bit more stylish.

If it was me personally, I'd save yourself the expense and just get a less expensive brand/model and no, dyson fans aren't really much quieter.
    Last edited by zippy; 23rd June 2022 at 10:02.

Master
    Ive had the hot & cool dyson for a number of years does the air puryfing and works via app etc but tbh as others have said as a fan its not much better than a cheap one in my view and I dont rate it at all, definitely better out there for the money and as mentioned the meaco is much better value (though the remote isnt great) we have one in the office and its great (They were £81 the other week at box currently £89.99 at costco) but I will say as a heater I think the dyson is decent and works well
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 23rd June 2022 at 11:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Never seen the need for AC in the UK, even living in the SE where temperatures are warmest in the summer.

Must be only 10 nights per year when the weather is uncomfortable for sleeping. Even then, a simple fan pointing at my face and upper body means I sleep like a baby even during the warmest and muggiest nights.

I also like the whirr of fan which is therapeutic for sleeping. And a fan is much more environmentally sound and much cheaper on the leccy bill.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    Proper split unit AC has been great for us since we first got it installed in 2020. We have it in the bedrooms and my office as I work from home. I reckon they are probably cheaper to run that the portable units or maybe even a fan. I only need the AC on for 30 mins or so to bring the temperature down whereas with a fan or the portable units they generally need to be on all the time. Can also be used as a heater in winter to just warm individual rooms rather than the whole house.
    The portable AC units in particular are horribly inefficient by their very design. They require the big hose out the window to blow out the hot air, which means warm air is constantly being sucked into the room again from outside to replace it. The split units just cool and recirculate the air within the room.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Here's a really well done video on the air purifying aspect of various purifiers, including the Dyson and some properly knocked-together ones!

https://youtu.be/rDZ9yUdM2wA

Matthias has released some follow-up videos too on dust and also actual fan power compared to others.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I think everything Dyson sell is down to clever marketing. It allows them to charge ridiculous amounts for decidedly ordinary products.
    I've no love for Dyson he's a example of every thing that's bad about the UK today when he was building up his business he was covering everything in Union jack's as soon as he was successful he sent all the production abroad ,and everything is a smoke and mirrors version of something that has been around for 100 years and every one i know that has bought a Dyson seems to have it break just out of warranty

Master
    We've got a Rowenta Turbo Silence extreme - it shifts a hell of a lot of air, and is very quiet. They can be bought as a desk top fan, or on a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I've no love for Dyson he's a example of every thing that's bad about the UK today when he was building up his business he was covering everything in Union jack's as soon as he was successful he sent all the production abroad ,and everything is a smoke and mirrors version of something that has been around for 100 years and every one i know that has bought a Dyson seems to have it break just out of warranty
    Although, I think some of that rationale was down to being done over on potential agreements and getting fed up with the prospect of paying something over 125m in tax each year. I also think a lot of other people might have a serious think about their group and personal financing when faced with a similar dilemma.

As for the products themselves, I have had mixed experiences.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Other half has one, AM07. Seems to work well as a fan.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Ceiling fan for us in the bedroom.
    Really good for keeping cool these warm nights.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Ceiling fan for us in the bedroom.
    Really good for keeping cool these warm nights.
    Yes I’d love one if I was allowed.

Having just moved our AM09 dyson to my office today, I’ve also noticed that in complete silence it gently hums. Very annoying.

Master
    I got a Dyson AM07 (the cool) at the start of the week and my son a Meaco (non pedestal style) yesterday. Both seem pretty good tbh. The Dyson I got from their eBay refurb store and used the extra 15% off voucher that was knocking around at the time. So the price was almost 2/3 of new. It looks like new anyway just has a year warranty rather than two. It made the cost a bit more palatable.That said it does a great job in the bedroom taking up little space and running quiet at the lower setting we use. The Meaco is a chunky boy but it seems to work great too very quiet with some good movement direction options. Has more timer options than the Dyson and you can dim the display which is useful in a bedroom. For the money it seems a really really good fan. But it would not fit as well as the Dyson for where the latter needs to go. As an aside I can recommend using the Dyson eBay refurb/voucher method as I did the same with one of their stupidly expensive hairdriers last year (wife and daughter love it!) and it was just over 50% the cost of a new one. So even if it was still stupidly expensive I felt I'd got a deal somehow :-)

I have a Beldray unit. Load the base with water and freezer blocks, (the type you use to keep your picnic hamper cool), filter at the back; so you get really cool filtered air with a light touch of humidity. Also works as a standard oscillating fan if needed.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Mate had nothing but trouble with his. I bought a couple of portable ac units which I wheel out when it’s hot. They are noisy but I just cool the home office down and then switch it off, do the same in the bedroom before bed, get the room cool then turn it off.