closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Naked Watchmaker X Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture

Blog Entries

The Naked Watchmaker X Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture

A bit of a mouthful. There is a lot of opportunity for snobbery with Frederique Constant but I feel that they are genuinely upping their game (no fake white gold Subs needed).

https://friendsandfamily.frederiquec...nstant-website

The Naked Watchmaker X Frederique Constant Slimline Perpetual Calendar Manufacture is the translation of The Naked Watchmakers mission into a watch. The watch is available for pre-orders in a limited edition of 99 pieces.

“Following the deconstruction we made on the original Quantum Perpetual from Frederique Constant we saw that the intrinsic horological interest of the watch was hidden by the dial and our wish was to open up the dial in order to place in value the mechanical elements of the QP mechanism. “ Peter Speake
    The marketing blurb on the website is the usual toecurling stuff but the watch is a looker in my opinion.

I don't usually go for skeleton watches but this one is very appealing to my mind. And a bargain price at €9995 (sarcasm not intended).

DETAILS OF THE MODIFICATIONS MADE BY PETER SPEAKE & DANIELA MARIN

– 3D Dimensionality: the dial has been cut away to be able to emphasize the different elements of the Perpetual Calendar Mechanism.

– The Day and Date sub-dials and hands are much larger than the original Frederique Constant dials, giving greater visibility.

– The Moon phase was altered to be an animation reflecting the movement of time and shows the two moons when one is usually hidden. This created with the SLN moons gives a visually captivating and different use of the moon disk.

– The Months indications are altered to optimise their visibility. The year hand was removed and a colour indication has been placed between January and March.

– Leap year indication so as to avoid the months indication being obstructed, the years are shown through an opening at February, each year is a different colour and the leap year is red.

– The Hands: were designed to be easily seen but not to block the visibility of the mechanics of the Perpetual Calendar and thus the reason for the cut outs and the wide design.

– Luminova: The use of luminova allows for reading the time at night but in particular accentuates the moons animation at night.

– Bridge colours: Blue provides a strong contrast with the steel and gold coloured components accentuating the mechanics. The blue color traditionally holds a special place in the world of horology and we see historically blued hands and screws, it is a nod to the history of fine watchmaking.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 22nd June 2022 at 14:38.

Craftsman
    Nice watch that, and a clever collaboration.

Now that is a good looking perpetual calendar in a perfect size. It seems well priced too. I'd gladly wear that.

Setting aside the turd-brown colour scheme, the nonsense with the moonphase would annoy the living **** out of me.

Another watch that looks better from the back than the front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Setting aside the turd-brown colour scheme, the nonsense with the moonphase would annoy the living **** out of me.

Another watch that looks better from the back than the front.
    Hehe, I kind of like the brown colour (I have a Seiko Bell-Matic with a similar brown dial and it's quite appealing) but you're right about the moon-not-phase. Having turned it into a mere information-less "animation" is a bit of.... well, it strikes me as weak.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Hehe, I kind of like the brown colour (I have a Seiko Bell-Matic with a similar brown dial and it's quite appealing) but you're right about the moon-not-phase. Having turned it into a mere information-less "animation" is a bit of.... well, it strikes me as weak.
    In all truthfulness, I quite like the steel-blue/brown combo, and could live with it in a <£1K watch - but they should definitely leave "quirkiness" to the likes of Mr. Jones, who're really rather good at it