closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Great story and this guy fixes it but Rolex refused to

Great story and this guy fixes it but Rolex refused to

I love his videos
    Much more interesting than the usual YouTube watch fare.
    The restoration of the A11s and the Seamaster 120 are also a good watch.
    That’s said don’t show this video to the Rev or M4tt
    He mentions Everest! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I love his videos
    Same here, he has an excellent delivery style and paces investigation and reconstruction well, so that interest isn't lost. I think it also helps that he's an amateur and still learning, so there's no pomposity.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Watched it the other night, one of the few people I can watch in YouTube.

The other main one being clickspring. Some of the stuff he does, I could only dream of, mesmerising to watch.
    https://youtube.com/c/Clickspring

I also find his videos very relaxing and enjoyable, both in terms of content as well as presentation/delivery.
    You can tell the man is a professional speaker (commentator for Magic the Gathering tournaments).

My wife enjoys his videos and will sit and watch if I have 1 on.

The same cannot be said of most of my YouTube viewing.

Sent from my Lenovo K12 Note using Tapatalk

Master
    I loved that, thanks for sharing!

Grand Master
    Excellent video, shows what can be done to rescue a water- damaged movement. Surprised he didn’t fit a new mainspring, the amplitude after reassembly was poor and new barrel would've gone some way to addressing this. Also surprised how he used the ultrasonic bath, it makes far more sense to put parts into glass jars containing cleaning solutions which are immersed in the bath, the ultrasonic goes straight through the glass and the water in the bath stays clean. This is a good technique for cleaning movement parts too.

Water- damaged watches are always a challenge, some parts survive OK but some definitely don’t. He was fortunate to source correct replacement parts, not easy!

Craftsman
    I've seen this video pop up in my YT feed quite a few times...

...guess it's time to watch it =)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love his videos
    I'm not sure why? Mine says hi, as they say:

I have less than no problem with the watches and own a dozen or so vintage Rolex and Tudor. I think the 15xx is a great movement and that's a great story superbly told. That it gets a couple of things wrong is unsurprising given the brand. It's the way the brand is promoted that I have a problem with. However, to be fair, I do prefer the equivalent Tudor:

As that actually did what it was advertised for back in the day.

Watching him machine a groove on the back of the dial to fit a new dial foot made me cringe… fair play to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    In a similar vein, Nekkid Watchmaker https://www.youtube.com/c/NekkidWatchmaker is very interesting. I've been impressed by the breadth of his skills.

Enjoyable video, thanks Rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I enjoyed that

Grand Master
    If I was fixing a broken dial foot I wouldn’t do it like that! In principle he’s correct, and the tool he’s used to cut the dial us a nice ( expensive) piece of kit, but I can’t see how he could be certain the new foot would align correctly.

I've done this job several times and I’ve always trimmed the dial foot before fitting. I’ve also used the mainplate as a jig, fitting the foot to the mainplate standing slightly proud then attached the dial to the foot whilst carefully ensuring it’s centred correctly. In my opinion that’s the only way to be sure it’s centred and aligned correctly, it takes longer because I use the stronger epoxy that takes 18 hrs to set but that’s the best way to do it. I’ve used superglue in the past to get the initial bond then reinforced it with epoxy applied carefully.

Everyone does things their own way, I could question several of the things this guy has done and I think he's over- simplified a few steps to make a nice video . Anyone who’s learning how to fix watches should take it with a pinch of salt.

Really enjoyed the video, an hour well spent.

That said, couldn't help but notice a quite significant nick on the dial at 57-minutes on reassembly that didn't appear to be in any of the footage before the new dial foot was added. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Really enjoyed the video, an hour well spent.

That said, couldn't help but notice a quite significant nick on the dial at 57-minutes on reassembly that didn't appear to be in any of the footage before the new dial foot was added. Ouch!
    I’m not a watchmaker by any means but I’ve also noticed that the dial wasn’t handled as meticulously as I would’ve expected. The hands were scraping the dial during the installation…. Imagine if it was a gilt dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Dials must be handled carefully, that's the bit the owner sees. Hold the dial at the edges and wear finger cots. Had to smile when he fitted the hands, there's a lot more juggling around and checking required to ensure each hand is level and pressed on to the correct depth. After fitting the hr hand it must be checked carefully to ensure it doesn`t contact the dial at any point, there's always slight freeplay in the hour wheel especially on an old watch and if the dial is slightly distorted the hand can appear OK but make contact at some point. Once the hr hand is correct the minute hand should be fitted lightly and checked to be sure it's in synch with the hr hand and 12 o clock and 6 o clock, if the dial isn`t printed accurately or if the centre hole isn`t concentric there will be errors and the best compromise has to be reached. This is why the new dial foot has to be fitted accurately! Once the minute hand is correct it can be pressed home, ensuring that the clearance to the hr hand is correct at all points. Finally fit the seconds hand ensuring that the back of the pinion is supported, that's v. important. This guy did none of this, he's over-simplified the job to make a video in my opinion, either that or he his work practices are questionable.

Another notable omission; he didn`t epilame treat the balance end jewels which is standard practice to ensure the oil drop doesn`t run, that's key to getting the balance pivot lubrication correct.

The guy is an amateur and there will be an element of editing in the video in order to make the video is an acceptable length, I should imagine a fair amount / majority of footage is cut. The repairs obviously happen over many days when he has time as his clothes and more importantly his watch change in virtually each shot.

I have learnt a lot by watching his videos and have even more respect for the people that can mend a restore a watch. It’s way beyond my skill level.

His videos are a lot more interesting than the usual you tube tripe. - here is a picture of the watch, here is a close up, here is a picture with a cup of coffee, a pen and a folding knife. Here is a picture of the watch on a diary to make out I am really busy sorts of videos, or dare I say it Archie luxury or that TGV bloke.

Blog Entries
    His videos are a lot more interesting than the usual you tube tripe. - here is a picture of the watch, here is a close up, here is a picture with a cup of coffee, a pen and a folding knife. Here is a picture of the watch on a diary to make out I am really busy sorts of videos, or dare I say it Archie luxury or that TGV bloke.
    Heheh, very good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant video. Now im back to that feeling of wanting to be a one watch guy...

I found that mesmerising. At times I found I was right up to the screen! You could tell he was genuinely relieved when it fired up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really loved that video. What a way to unwind for an hour.
    Have subscribed to him.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I found that mesmerising. At times I found I was right up to the screen! You could tell he was genuinely relieved when it fired up.
    Disagree.

When assembling a watch correctly it is standard practice to check at each stage, the Swiss term is ‘ controle’ and it’s a good concept, problems are detected during assembly and it’s fairly obvious what’s wrong. The final step is to install the balance and end jewels, provided all the ‘controles’ have been carried out there should be no nasty surprises, the watch will run when the crown is turned and this should come as no surprise!

I thought the guy’s reaction was cringe- worthy, he claims to be a competent repairer but his reaction wasn’t consistent with someone who’s fixed a fair few watches. Definitely playing to his audience.......which prinarily consist of folks who don’t fix watches themselves, I thought his narrative let him down with the false jubilation. I would've been far more impressed if he’d addressed the poor amplitude, but he chose to gloss over that point.

After getting the first few to run the temptation to run around in jubilation with your shirt pulled over your head diminishes rapidly, trust me on this point!

I have a water- damaged Omega Constellation in my fixer uppers drawer that’s worse than this guy’s watch, I’ll get it sorted eventually following broadly the same process of rescuing some parts and replacing others, but it’ll be a far less dramatic process and it’ll be carried out more rigorously........it isn’t rocket science!

Master
    He also appears to be wearing a Dornblüth & Sohn watch unless I was well mistaken... nice taste!

Yea he was

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    He also appears to be wearing a Dornblüth & Sohn watch unless I was well mistaken... nice taste!