closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 36 of 36

Thread: Gaming PC'ers

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731

    Gaming PC'ers

    My son is wanting a gaming pc, I haven't a clue regards anything gaming or pc. He's rhyming off lots of specs and making me dizzy to be honest

    He's an xbox player and plays the usual 17 year old games, can anyone help me out there and point me in the right direction as I want to get him something thats fit for purpose but in the same breath not waste a fist full of money in the process


    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Master Lampoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lincs. The bit with hills.
    Posts
    6,114
    Any sort of budget? In my opinion, get the best Ryzen CPU and NVIDIA 30XX GPU you can. Hotukdeals.com is full of PC nerds and when a bargain appears they'll usually spot it so check very regularly. https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/gaming-pc
    Last edited by Lampoc; 21st June 2022 at 20:59.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,871
    Look on PCpartpicker at the build guides. That will give you an idea of the specs of the various builds to price. But you need to work backwards from the games you want to play, then the monitor resolution and refresh rate as that dictates the build. The current sweet spot is around the 27” 1440P then 60-120Hz for a good middle range. If you drop to 1080P then you need lesser specs.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Thanks guys, he's talking figures of 1k (intel, 16gb,, 256 ssd, nvidia geforce rtx, the list goes on) is this ott or the going rate for something decent. Me personally thinks its a waste of money, likewise he thinks the same about watches, so what do I know :)

    His present tv is 4k, not sure make/model but his mother is getting him a dedicated monitor for his birthday (again not sure make/model)

  5. #5
    new or used ?

    i have enough bits to build 3 of the stupid things but never bother to advertise them because its like mission impossible to sell used PC`s

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    new or used ?

    i have enough bits to build 3 of the stupid things but never bother to advertise them because its like mission impossible to sell used PC`s
    He's sending me links for new advertised ones

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,871
    Still depends on the graphics you want. No chance in hell you get 4K for £1K in a PC. If you look at these https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/custom/ga...ia-geforce-pcs then the RTX3060 would be a decent gfx card to have. Scan wonít make much on the build work other than the component profits they make so you could probably only do it much cheaper yourself by diy. You may get some better components here and there but that should give you a general idea. You try to match everything up so it is balanced rather than maxing one area to the detriment of another. Tbh building them is pretty easy anyway if he wants a project and more fun to do.

  8. #8
    Master Lampoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lincs. The bit with hills.
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Thanks guys, he's talking figures of 1k (intel, 16gb,, 256 ssd, nvidia geforce rtx, the list goes on) is this ott or the going rate for something decent. Me personally thinks its a waste of money, likewise he thinks the same about watches, so what do I know :)

    His present tv is 4k, not sure make/model but his mother is getting him a dedicated monitor for his birthday (again not sure make/model)
    £1K is realistic for a mid range gaming PC. A 3060Ti with a decent Ryzen/Intel CPU should be easily doable - perhaps even a RTX3070. Obviously it depends massively on the game but 4k is possible - as an example I run iRacing in VR (2160 x 2160 per eye plus a 1080p monitor at the same time) using a 3060Ti and a Ryzen 5600X.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Thanks guys, just trying to make sure I donít get duped into something I know nothing about

    This is something along the lines heís looking at - Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-630 Gaming PC - (Intel Core i5-11400F, 16GB, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, Windows 10, Black)

  10. #10
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,341
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Thanks guys, just trying to make sure I donít get duped into something I know nothing about

    This is something along the lines heís looking at - Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-630 Gaming PC - (Intel Core i5-11400F, 16GB, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, Windows 10, Black)


    I'd push the storage to at least 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD, or preferably just a 2TB SSD.

    Do you intend buying a complete machine?

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Thanks guys, just trying to make sure I don’t get duped into something I know nothing about

    This is something along the lines he’s looking at - Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-630 Gaming PC - (Intel Core i5-11400F, 16GB, 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, Windows 10, Black)
    See https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/ac...on-3000-review tbh given he is reviewing a higher spec version than the above you posted I am surprised the performance is relatively so poor. At the end of the day it still comes down to what he wants to play. If it is Warzone and Fortnite then that is different to the games listed in that review. Plus having a bespoke Acer motherboard is a no from me. Just find somewhere that uses off the shelf parts so you can replace things if they break plus give yourself some upgrade ability

    If he looks at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-sy...ilt-gaming-pcs then each gives you a list of games and the performance you will get with them. That way you will get an idea of what type of specs you need for what he wants to play.
    Last edited by reecie; 22nd June 2022 at 11:09.

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    See https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/ac...on-3000-review tbh given he is reviewing a higher spec version than the above you posted I am surprised the performance is relatively so poor. At the end of the day it still comes down to what he wants to play. If it is Warzone and Fortnite then that is different to the games listed in that review. Plus having a bespoke Acer motherboard is a no from me. Just find somewhere that uses off the shelf parts so you can replace things if they break plus give yourself some upgrade ability

    If he looks at https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-sy...ilt-gaming-pcs then each gives you a list of games and the performance you will get with them. That way you will get an idea of what type of specs you need for what he wants to play.
    If you/him arenít confident on self build you can still follow the above advice but use pcspecialist to build it for you, will come with a guarantee and the off the shelf parts you want making future upgrade easier (assuming stock is available)

  13. #13
    Only problem I can see with a custom Acer MB is that that canít be upgraded. Everything else still can be.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Thanks guys, sounds like a bespoke build is the way to go, allowing for upgrade path down the line as and when

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'd push the storage to at least 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD, or preferably just a 2TB SSD
    Yes, 2TB SSD nvme m.2 (make sure the motherboard will support it), and don’t bother with HDD, unless you want backup storage (but cloud backup is probably better/safer).

    Games need a tonne of drive space, the faster the better, and you will also want the O/S to be on a fast drive, although it won’t need a huge amount of space (compared to games).

    Use cloud backup for stuff like game user profiles and saves. Most games put these into the Windows Documents folder, so it may be sufficient to just backup that - not too big.
    Last edited by Tatters; 22nd June 2022 at 20:25.

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,112

  17. #17
    Master dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,399
    If you are willing to custom build it, for the card have a look at a 2070 Super OC (if it can be had for a good price). I see a lot of new builds going with the 3060 but the former is a year older, yet outperforms it in most (if not every) way.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Thanks guys, not sure I could carry out a self build. I'm meeting up with my son over the weekend so hopefully I'll get a better understanding of what he's after, or maybe not :)

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Hi guys

    This is something like he's been suggesting, is something like this future proof and upgradeable as and when required. Its seems rather expensive to me but he's quite happy to contribute the balance I am prepared to pay

    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...in-11-see-info

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Hi guys

    This is something like he's been suggesting, is something like this future proof and upgradeable as and when required. Its seems rather expensive to me but he's quite happy to contribute the balance I am prepared to pay

    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...in-11-see-info

    That's a strong spec, and I'd consider it a high end gaming rig!

    For balance, this would fit the bill nicely and is only one 'step' down:
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-ryzen-5...or-gaming.html

    It's a 5600x rather than 5700x and 3070 rather than 3080 - costing a shade over £1000 (if you change 5600g to 5600x and upgrading RAM to 16Gb)

  21. #21
    Also, it's worth being aware that the new series of GPU's and CPU's are due in the coming months.

    4xxx Nvidia graphics cards are due late summer
    7xxx AMD CPU's are due around the same time

    Both of these will impact on current PC prices...

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    1,681
    Worth keeping an eye on hotukdeals.com - quite often some good prebuilds like the Lenovo Legion gaming PC's come up sometimes, with decent specs for <£1k.

  23. #23
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    12,359
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Hi guys

    This is something like he's been suggesting, is something like this future proof and upgradeable as and when required. Its seems rather expensive to me but he's quite happy to contribute the balance I am prepared to pay

    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/scan...in-11-see-info

    I suspect that the video card is probably a little excessive for home use unless you are spending the same again or more on a monitor. I'd actually spend a little while researching what you actually need to use to match the kit you have and the games you will be playing. As others have said, it really is worth building yourself to save hundreds and end up with something that precisely meets your needs.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Worth keeping an eye on hotukdeals.com - quite often some good prebuilds like the Lenovo Legion gaming PC's come up sometimes, with decent specs for <£1k.
    This is the best advice

  25. #25
    It really depends on what games he's intending to play and at what resolution. Apologies if this has already been covered - if he's just going to be running 144hz 1080p then he could (and I have) manage with something like a 2060/3060 quite comfortably.

    Newer games at 4K are great, but it depends where most of the time is going to be spent.

    It makes sense to futureproof as much as possible but try not to overkill on the GPU, others may disagree but the technology moves on so quickly - don't push for a 3090 if a 2070 (or equivalent) meet your needs for the forseeable.

    Highly recommend Scan and Overclockers, can't go wrong with either.

    Also, self building is fairly easy - it's basically Lego nowadays, only takes a bit of Youtubing if you're not sure!

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,612
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    That's a strong spec, and I'd consider it a high end gaming rig!

    For balance, this would fit the bill nicely and is only one 'step' down:
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-ryzen-5...or-gaming.html

    It's a 5600x rather than 5700x and 3070 rather than 3080 - costing a shade over £1000 (if you change 5600g to 5600x and upgrading RAM to 16Gb)

    This - and go for 1440P gaming as he should be able to run latest releases at full detail and it'll still knock the crap out of consoles. Not to say 4K isn't possible especially in existing/older games. If he really gets into PC gaming then he can look at a higher tier GPU on next upgrade.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    pride of the north
    Posts
    731
    Much appreciated guys, another sit down required I think so we can both absorb all the good advice given. Like the idea of self build, just need to see how confident he would feel

  28. #28
    I'm actually tempted to buy this myself, but specifically, I'd suggest this:

    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-ryzen-5...or-gaming.html

    Change the 5600G to 5600X and change the memory to Corsair 16Gb 3600MHz - you should consider your storage needs too

    Total price: £1,079.97 and will run any modern game at highest settings @1440p, most games @4k

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    I'm actually tempted to buy this myself, but specifically, I'd suggest this:

    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-ryzen-5...or-gaming.html

    Change the 5600G to 5600X and change the memory to Corsair 16Gb 3600MHz - you should consider your storage needs too

    Total price: £1,079.97 and will run any modern game at highest settings @1440p, most games @4k
    These changes are a no brainer for the little extra the cost, very good value especially with a 3070 - not sure if I'm missing anything, seems very cheap!

    ETA: I'd probably push the price up a bit more with a 500GB/1TB SSD, Win 11 preinstalled (although you can do it for cheaper, you want to be able to use the PC when it arrives) and a gold rated PSU. ~£1300 is still very good value.
    Last edited by jkb89; 29th June 2022 at 13:56.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Much appreciated guys, another sit down required I think so we can both absorb all the good advice given. Like the idea of self build, just need to see how confident he would feel
    It really is very easy to do, just check out some youtube vids first. The only problem is you've got no comeback if you mess anything up and it can be complicated to diagnose which part is causing a problem if anything is delivered faulty.

    Guides available here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/guide/

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,871
    By using PCpartpicker it will check your parts are compatible plus it tries to find the cheapest place for them. Though with postage or stores they don't work with etc you can't always guarantee that this is the case.

  32. #32
    Great advice so far and I won't complicate it by adding any more to the PC spec.

    What I would say is that the monitor is one part of a gaming PC that nearly always gets neglected. Make sure you get a good one.

    If your son mostly plays competitive games, then a 1080p resolution, 240hz+ (refresh rate) display is important.

    If he's into everything, a 27"+ size, 144hz+, IPS (screen type) display is a good guide.

    If he's more in MMORPG or RPG/Single player games, super-wide monitors (34"+) with at least 120hz refresh are great for an immersive experience and can help ALLOT with productivity.

    One thing to note is that graphics card prices are collapsing, but I always say buy it when you need it and enjoy it, or you'll never buy anything and be miserable!

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    1,681
    Personally I would avoid doing a self-build, purely only because if you're dropping around a grand and you're unfamiliar with troubleshooting and the kinds of issues that can occur, it can make for a miserable experience dealing with RMA's and the like, if you run into problems or (heaven forbid) you break a component. I've been there in all scenarios and it's a real buzzkill.

    That said it'd be a great father / son type exercise of course and there's never been a better time in terms of quality of components and the wealth of knowledge out there. Linus Tech Tips did a really good, super comprehensive video on the process.. probably the only video / guide you'll need.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL4DCEp7blY

    On the subject of monitors, honestly I'm going to go against the grain here somewhat, but ultimately it's entirely your money and decision... don't spend loads of money on the monitor. You can get great quality monitors for peanuts and even if he's a gamer, I just don't understand the need for 144hz (or higher) - I game at 60hz on my modest rig and when I'm on form, I'm very competitive on the online games I play (e.g. Battlefield) - I'm not sure that a faster refresh rate monitor would make any difference... I'd rather put the money into better CPU/graphics card/memory.
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 30th June 2022 at 13:30.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    1,871
    If you do self build one piece of advice is to not cheap out on the PSU. Get a really good one well specced for the component draw. You can get some really weird errors (almost impossible to diagnose) that come down to iffy PSUs despite the PC still working. It is not just a case of a no power at all fault.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Personally I would avoid doing a self-build, purely only because if you're dropping around a grand and you're unfamiliar with troubleshooting and the kinds of issues that can occur, it can make for a miserable experience dealing with RMA's and the like, if you run into problems or (heaven forbid) you break a component. I've been there in all scenarios and it's a real buzzkill.

    That said it'd be a great father / son type exercise of course and there's never been a better time in terms of quality of components and the wealth of knowledge out there. Linus Tech Tips did a really good, super comprehensive video on the process.. probably the only video / guide you'll need.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL4DCEp7blY

    On the subject of monitors, honestly I'm going to go against the grain here somewhat, but ultimately it's entirely your money and decision... don't spend loads of money on the monitor. You can get great quality monitors for peanuts and even if he's a gamer, I just don't understand the need for 144hz (or higher) - I game at 60hz on my modest rig and when I'm on form, I'm very competitive on the online games I play (e.g. Battlefield) - I'm not sure that a faster refresh rate monitor would make any difference... I'd rather put the money into better CPU/graphics card/memory.
    I've probably built about 30 computers in my life and it seems daunting at first, but as long as you're methodical and careful it's pretty easy.

    The biggest factors with a PC not booting are power/sata cables/RAM not seated properly and over-tightening of CPU coolers.

    The only actual failures i've had, were a very old power supply which didn't damage anything else and a separate instance was a motherboard when I left the window open and ran got on it, again it didn't damage anything but the motherboard.

    RE monitors, I think until you've had a good one, it's hard to appreciate and peanuts is relative to your disposable income. It's a bit like OLED TVs, you can't actually appreciate how good they are until you experience it first hand.
    Last edited by Kitsan; 30th June 2022 at 16:56.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    If you do self build one piece of advice is to not cheap out on the PSU. Get a really good one well specced for the component draw. You can get some really weird errors (almost impossible to diagnose) that come down to iffy PSUs despite the PC still working. It is not just a case of a no power at all fault.
    And PC components are drawing more and more power, the next generation of graphics cards (especially Nvidia) are real hogs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information