closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What car, but it has to be cheap and boring!

I’d concur with some of the above and recommend going with renowned reliable diesels. The VW group 1.9 TDI is a great unit and you’d get into a Passat or Octavia for your budget, the Volvo D5 is also a brilliant engine, good for interstellar miles.

I had a similar quandary to yourself when starting a short-term contract last year, and went down the Volvo D5 route, but not the V70, which for me is a bit barge-like. My “boring” estate of choice:

Loved it so much, didn’t change it when I got converted to permanent. Bombproof, practical and can give 3L Germanic diesels a fright with mid-range grunt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    I’d concur with some of the above and recommend going with renowned reliable diesels. The VW group 1.9 TDI is a great unit and you’d get into a Passat or Octavia for your budget, the Volvo D5 is also a brilliant engine, good for interstellar miles.

I had a similar quandary to yourself when starting a short-term contract last year, and went down the Volvo D5 route, but not the V70, which for me is a bit barge-like. My “boring” estate of choice:

Loved it so much, didn’t change it when I got converted to permanent. Bombproof, practical and can give 3L Germanic diesels a fright with mid-range grunt.
    Is that the V60? How is the boot in those?

Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Is that the V60? How is the boot in those?
    V60, and boot is decent, competitive with A4 Avant or BMW 3 series, not in the same ballpark as a Superb or E Class. Flat lip, easy to load. Stock image below (my boot could do with a vac) :

Just came back from Goodwood and my 997 has developed a boost leak, so I'm down to the 930 as my only car (I know, I can hear the small violin playing), which is making this whole idea even more prudent.

Yeah, that Mercedes is so cool and I am genuinely interested, but I have no garaging for it and I think it would deteriorate quite fast out in the elements. I have a friend who has a Jazz for the same reasons I describe so I've circled back around to it... I think I am finding this thought process more difficult as usually I've always had a clear idea. Like the 930, there was no other consideration, it was my dream since childhood and no practicalities or costs of ownership came into it. I just had to find the best. With this I feel like I'm buying it for someone else.

Master
    I love our CR-V, great for family duties, not worrying where I park etc. Built like a tank and feels like it will go on forever. Trouble is everything looks overpriced to me these days, my head is stuck in 18 months ago prices when I paid £11.5k for a low mileage 5 year old diesel 4WD. Same car today 18 months older is at least 13k. Bonkers.

If it wasn’t for towing a caravan I would go for a petrol 2WD version like this:
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02206237094165

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    I'd suggest getting a Ford. They're relatively inexpensive, reliable (IME), cheap to maintain, nobody wants to steal them. Come in lots of shapes and sizes and levels of trim. I like the Mondeo personally.
    Fords are the most stolen cars in the UK !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiftingsideways View Post
    Dacia Duster

See the 86 page thread on Pistonheads entitled - Dacia Duster, 999cc of Throbbing Fun
    This, I don't know why but I really want a 4WD Duster in UN white with steel wheels. I'd happily daily it, not sure whether the mrs and kids would be so keen but It's back to basics approach is probably what appeals to me

Master
    I’m going to retract my suggestion of a Clubman shed. Commentators curse kicked in a day after suggesting it, ECU/immobiliser issue… really can’t be bothered with the hassle so have just scrapped it.

Journeyman
    Got my 2011 CRV after a quick Internet search and some good advice on here

Petrol automatic

Jobs a good un so far

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Mazda 6 Estate
    Cheap and boring but utterly reliable and I can squeeze 4 metre decking boards into mine

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    A Skoda VRS is the natural progression from a Corsa with loud exhaust and cheap alloys.
    Surely that is a Ford Focus ST?

I had a mk1 Octavia (Never had a Corsa ) and it was one of my favourite cars - Not thrilling, but quick enough, capable enough, quite economical and very practical.

I had mine from new to over 90K miles and only usual wear and tear issues (except for a set of faulty coils, replaced on a recall, which all the VAG cars had at the time, not specifically a Skoda issue).

I replaced it with a Mazda RX8, which was very enjoyable to drive, a bit quicker, surprisingly practical if not VERY and horribly uneconomical! - I kept that for 11 years though and only sold it to get a load-lugger for diving

I'd have an Octavia today, but they're quite expensive these days (isn't everything, though...?)

Surely if you want boring, it should be a Toyota or a Vauxhall of some sort? Or maybe a Korean car (Kia/Hyundai)? Although most do make at least one vaguely interesting car.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th June 2022 at 12:34.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Jaguar XF estate.

Good to drive, comfortable, and we’ll specced.

And it’s a Jaaaag…
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Jaguar XF estate.

Good to drive, comfortable, and we’ll specced.

And it’s a Jaaaag…
    For £3k?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    For £3k?
    I'll have one of those please

Sent from my RMX3363 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    For £3k?
    Ah, I didn’t see the 3k bit! Whoops!
    So clever my foot fell off.

I would get a pickup truck... but I am a redneck!

Pretty much anything Ford that's Focus or bigger matches your description, something that has been produced in big numbers will be cheap to maintain.

I like the Vauxhall Insignia Country, you could probably squeeze an early one in for your budget (2013-14).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Ah, I didn’t see the 3k bit! Whoops!
    Shame, I’d hoped you’d point a few out.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Mazda 6 Estate
    Cheap and boring but utterly reliable and I can squeeze 4 metre decking boards into mine

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Tough cars too, my old Mazda 6 got rear ended by a Jag and although my 6 was wrote off I did drive away but the Jag came out worse, dont think my tow bar helped the Jag!

There’s always a clio 182-197 great fun, costs nothing to fix if you break it and the most fun you’ll ever have

... and of course the Jag is on a road marking saying "SLOW"...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Mazda 6 is a really good suggestion. I keep seeing them on the road around here and it looks like a great option.

The budget is adjustable... My wife is trying to rein me in as I do have a tendency to get carried away. But let's say I'd go up to 6-ish...

I have a dislike of modern Jaguar that doesn't have much to do with the cars themselves. My father-in-law has been hanging onto a shed of an X-type for at least 5-6 years too long and I just have nightmarish visions of me turning into him...

Cheap Car

I second the Insignia had one since 2015 and still going strong Sri 2Ltr diesel no road tax 70 miles to the gallon on a run what more could you ask.

Not sure if it has already been suggested however an Avensis estate will cover all bases mentioned, should be plenty of options in the price range.

Reliable, comfortable, practical and boring to the point you'd walk past forgetting you'd actually bought it.