closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Record waiting time with no purchase history

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kent/SW London
    Posts
    1,544

    Record waiting time with no purchase history

    A close friend of mine picked up an Explorer 1 from an AD in Mayfair today. He went in on the off chance on Thursday last week and they contacted him on Friday saying they had one and did he want it.

    It makes a farce of the spiel that most AD's come out with.

  2. #2
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Increased availability or astoundingly good luck (with many upset people on the waiting list!)? Who can tell.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 21st June 2022 at 17:42.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    804
    What attracted this multi-millionaire to the Explorer I?

  4. #4
    Craftsman Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    998
    I like to hope it’s a reflection of his genuine approach and the AD’s appreciation of true interest. Hope he keeps rather than flips it.

  5. #5
    Do you mean an Explorer?

  6. #6
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,050
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Do you mean an Explorer?
    Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,021
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Do you mean an Explorer?
    Are you suggesting that it should not be called an “Explorer I” ?

    The cereal spoons of a million internet users pause, dripping before their gaping mouths in anticipation of the response…..

  8. #8
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    6,105
    It’s like Groundhog Day (1)………………….

    I mistakenly read the first elaboration on the nomenclature, thinking “well - that puts that to bed!”

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    25
    I spent two years on the waiting list in Cardiff for an explorer [1] and then found the shop has discontinued its relationship with Rolex. Back to the beginning for me… actually, I haven’t bothered, I’m sticking with my Everest 40.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    They apparently are the least requested model or so the AD says!

  11. #11
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    They apparently are the least requested model or so the AD says!
    That surprises me. I'd have thought the Milgauss was least requested.

    But then again the membership here isn't the same as the great buying public, it seems. ;-)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That surprises me. I'd have thought the Milgauss was least requested.

    But then again the membership here isn't the same as the great buying public, it seems. ;-)
    I collected a OP36 a few weeks ago mentioned I wouldn’t mind trying another Exp 1 and had the phone call the following morning.

  13. #13
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I collected a OP36 a few weeks ago mentioned I wouldn’t mind trying another Exp 1 and had the phone call the following morning.
    Cor!

    Aamoi how long did you wait for the OP36?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Cor!

    Aamoi how long did you wait for the OP36?
    3 months and zero spend with the company.

  15. #15
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    3 months and zero spend with the company.
    Wow, pretty good.

    Historically a long time for an OP36 but in today's market that's warp speed. ;-)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Wow, pretty good.

    Historically a long time for an OP36 but in today's market that's warp speed. ;-)
    Both the OP36 & 41 have been or were one of the more difficult watch to obtain due to the hype and demand.

    Crazy Rolex world!

  17. #17
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Both the OP36 & 41 have been or were one of the more difficult watch to obtain due to the hype and demand.

    Crazy Rolex world!
    Yup, indeed.

    And yet not long before that they were the poor and unloved cousin of the DJ, as I recall.

    It seems to me that it was the massive bump up in popularity of the DJ that then led to the rise in manic popularity of the OP, together with all the new colours.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yup, indeed.

    And yet not long before that they were the poor and unloved cousin of the DJ, as I recall.
    They certainly were I struggled a few years ago to sell a OP36 on here. I also walked in and picked up a OP39 black from a AD after a few phone calls in 2019 and a white dial OP39 for a member on here offered on the same day.

    How things changed!

  19. #19
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    26,043
    A friend of mine recently got a Sub in a month without previous business at the shop.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  20. #20
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,494
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Do you mean an Explorer?
    Rolex themselves have referred to it as the Explorer 1 so if they can I don't see why this apparent "correction" keeps coming up.

  21. #21
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    How things changed!
    Took the words right out of my mouth (or off my keyboard, so to speak)!

  22. #22
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,556
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A friend of mine recently got a Sub in a month without previous business at the shop.
    Pleasantly surprising.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    M62 corridor
    Posts
    4,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I like to hope it’s a reflection of his genuine approach and the AD’s appreciation of true interest.
    That’s getting me nowhere with my AD!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information