closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop; Saab and Aston Martin content (*pics)

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop; Saab and Aston Martin content (*pics)

A while back, I wrote about chosing the correct colour for the 1973 Saab 96. The guys in the workshop had a hard time cutting away all the rot and installing new metal. One thing was easy: the owner found a new front window metal surround, so it was easy: cut away the old rotten paravan and install a new one. Same was the grill surround: I had a good one in my private collection of Saab parts!

The Saab was delivered at the painter's a few months ago and they had to put in another 114 hrs labour!!! One thing was a bonus: the paint shop also paints agricultural machines and they have a special device for painting truck and tractor frames: they put on the material with the aid of electrolysis. So the underbody of the Saab was treated the same way. It's safe to say that the underside of the Saab is better protected than it was before!!!

Now the fun part starts. Rebuilding and adding all shiny new bits and pieces! The owner has found a rally-prepped engine (±100 hp according to a dyno sheet) and stronger g/box, so it will not be a slow Saab!! My own Saab will act as a reference for all details.

I'll keep you posted if you like!

Then... on the 'exotic front': an 80s Aston Martin V8 in the workshop! First time this car is in the shop. And, for once, it's not a problem related to AM's iffy built-quality of the 70s and 80s. The ride quality was really bad and it turned out to be a seized Koni shock absorber! A fairly new one. But the car is not often used. That may have caused it.

It's interesting to see that AM raided all parts bins from every British car manufacturer. The ignition key is Ford's, some of the lamp lenses are MGB's. In AM's defense: Saab did the same. The V4 is a Ford Cologne machine, the electrics are partly Hella, partly Joe Lucas. But it's interesting to see (and experience in my case) that the Lucas parts do not fail on a Saab like they did/do on a British classic.

[IMG]
    Last edited by thieuster; 21st June 2022 at 16:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My favourite Aston Menno would be nice to see some pics of that

Nice Aston but the differing shade of wood veneers on the dash and gear lever surround are messing with my OCD

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I love Saabs. I watched a retrospective on the Saab 900 Turbo a few days ago on YT. It was informative and funny, and I enjoyed it - all the way up to the part when he drove it.

The moment I saw the boost gauge and heard the deep whistle of the turbo, I then longed to have my old Saabs back again. They were awesome!

One comment that made me giggle was from a review of the 900 Turbo in 1985:

"The 900 Turbo is a fast and safe car, that you and mum and the kids can use.... to escape from the cops."

Blog Entries
    Back in the early 80s, I had a Saab 99 Turbo in Marble White. Far too expensive for a young man with a teacher's salary. Only a bombproof car when your wallet is bombproof too... But it was fast! I guess it was the 80s equivalent of a Tesla when it comes to acceleration and speed: almost too fast in the hands of an untrained driver.

Marble White. It has a hint of green in it. The interior was green as well. (not my car - I wish it was!!!!)

Last edited by thieuster; 25th June 2022 at 14:06.

I do like to read your car posts Menno. I learned to drive and passed my test in a Cinnabar Red one of these in 1984 at 17.
    I had use of the car afterwards for a month or two until I could afford to buy my own 99GL (still great but not quite "as great") Lovely car at the time.

Master
    Lovely Saabs (and a lovely Aston).

I have pictures of only one of my Saabs unfortunately; the others were pre-digital camera days.

2005 9-3 Aero 2.0 petrol, tuned obviously. :0)

(Click for full size)

Last edited by Filterlab; 25th June 2022 at 10:45.

Blog Entries

More pics later today!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app